drinkrust some of the lower-tier visual kei bands got into this zone a bit.
I feel like there’s a few main camps of visual kei:
- ska (that’s bands like merry)
- symphonic (lacroix despheres), including symphonic metal (basically anything to do with Mana)
- cabaret (malice mizer, lacroix despheres)
- goth (most of them)
- hard rock/post-hard rock (luna sea)
- industrial (kozi, lots of others, but this is usually mixed in everywhere)
a lot of them cross over and bleed between, but there are a few bands that have a more punk-ish sound. and some that are even scrappier, and just don’t fit in to the main groups. Penicillin doesn’t always sound like that, but there are definitely examples out there if you look. It’s a pretty wide genre despite being incredibly niche, so it can be tough to find the stuff you like.
Anyway here’s some from different styles:
post hard rock:
everyone hated on these vocals back in the day but it’s kind of fun now:
kozi from malice mizer doing whatever:
psycho le cemu with their sentai/japanese matsuri style:
To some extent I feel like artists like mafumafu are the next extension of visual kei, but I don’t have a lot to back that up (and it’s not like visual kei is gone), other than to me it feels like something other than pure j-rock.
Anyway! There’s some music