Well I finally broke down and joined in on the fun! I opted for the pre-assembled bundle from misteraddons for minimal hassle and also lucked out on getting one of the aluminum cases (in grey), which came back in stock shortly after ordering my unit.
For setup and assembly there are tons of great guides online, but I’ll drop the two youtube videos I relied on most heavily, as I think these are pretty great resources if you are just getting started:
For now I have paired it with a 2.4 ghz wireless Saturn pad, which is supposed to have less latency than bluetooth pads and is working great for me so far:
Here’s a shot of my setup shortly after getting things up and running–probably not my final arrangement, but I’m extremely pleased so far! The PVM connection (using a 15 pin VGA to 4 BNC RGB cable that I had lying around) works fantastic out of the box–just needed to make sure I enabled sync on green on the set. I also added a 2-way HDMI switch to send the signal to my OLED tv that’s out of the shot to the left, which also works great.
I’ve tested out a bunch of cores and loaded a lot of stuff to mess around with–it’s honestly quite overwhelming!
The GBA core is fantastic–in fact, I have moved my Mother 3 playthrough over to the MiSTer and will probably continue from there. With integer scaling it looks phenomenal on my LG OLED and responsiveness is good enough that I am equally good (i.e. bad) at getting the timing-based attacks on this setup as I am on native GBA hardware. In addition this core has save states and a one button fast-forward–really great stuff!
I’ve only dabbled with the SNES, genesis, and PCE cores, but they all seem essentially perfect so far. I had a little issue with NEOGEO, but I think my romset is busted, so I’ll report back on that. I got an amiga instance running using the HDD images and config files from this video:
Despite a familiarity with the Amiga through its reputation, I’ve never actually used one, so this is a big learning opportunity for me! I’ve only scratched the surface with this, but this hdd image comes with a ton of games and demos (i’ve mostly been watching some of the demoscene examples–wild stuff!). I also installed Secret of Monkey Island using FDD images–it runs, but the video is garbled, so I’ll have to do some troubleshooting with that.
Some things on the horizon:
- Can’t wait to try out the AO486 core! I’ve downloaded this preconfigured set from archive.org and hope to load it up soon.
- I have a set of X68000 games I want to try out, including Geograph Seal, a spiritual prequel to Jumping Flash that I only just learned about!
- Currently seeking out some FM Towns software–seems like there are a lot of ports from PC that have native english support.
- Would like to try out ScummVM at some point
- Really want to try out the Capcom CPS cores (esp CPS2 for Puzzle Fighter!). Might Join the Jotego Patreon for the beta cores, but I’m not in a big rush so I could just hold out for the public releases.
edit: just realized that there does not seem to be an FM Towns core…what a bummer, will be holding out for one, though