Look I make a lot of lists
some very epic like my grocery list:
—kimchi ( I make it from scratch but once a year and then when I run out I’m lazy)
—soy Italian sausage (to add to potato salad)
but I wasn’t going to post any epic lists here at all until someone ask Me to
“ list gameboy ((not color) games for a starter pack for someone who has never owned a video game console before. Minus the obvious Pokémon gen1+2, super Mario land 1+2, and tetris.”
I’ve curated specifically gameboy selections for non gamers before so I have this down pat here goes here’s what I think is the quintessential starter pack:
somewhat in order of importance:
- Kirby’s Dream Land, accessible action platformer even if they suck at games
- Cat Trap
- Wario Land II, but also 1
- Link’s Awakening
- Dragon Quest 1, or Dragon Quest Monsters….
- Dr.Mario or better yet,
- Yoshi’s Cookie
- Gameboy Camera
- Game & Watch Gallery (2 is my personal favorite, the selection of games is most engaging)
- Beatmania GB (only import on this list)
- Pokemon Trading Card Game
- Bomberman Pocket Adventure
- World Beach Volley
- Mario’s Picross
- Some licensed game of a property they like, like Tom & Jerry, Power Puff Girls, Spongebob, Bugs Bunny… These are most terrible games but even if you only play them for 2 minutes it’s fun/funny.
These games will have their GB singin’, also they are all approachable by someone who has very little gaming experience. These are the games I cut my teeth on, growing up in the mid 90’s I had just a game boy.
For many of those I had a sentence written, but erased it because the games are too epic. Let that non-description sink in.
here’s a second list of games that I _didn’t _include because they’re too eclectic and powerful and I wouldn’t give them to just anybody nowadays:
Metroid II, Alleyway, Harvest Moon GB, Survival Kids, Legend of the River King, Final Fantasy Adventure, Gargoyle’s Quest, Kid Dracula, Mole Mania, Magical Chase GB, Super RC Pro-Am, Trip World, X, Heiankyo Alien, the Mega Man games, Bionic Commando, Final Fantasy Legend series, Parodius, Ducktales 1 & 2