Had a pretty eventful session with SMT3 yesterday…still completely engrossed by the game. Going to spoiler-tag the details for anyone yet to play far into the game.
After completing Mifunashiro, I decided to take a little detour to finish off the last Fiend (the trumpeter is great! Love all these absolute weirdos) and delve all the way into the Labyrinth. I really love the idea that descending into the literal depths of hell while interacting with at least three of the most well-known manifestations of the devil (i.e. following Lucifer’s bidding to defeat Beelzebub after having ingested Satan) is just a side-quest in this game! Anyway, there were some serious highlights! To wit:
- My Kushinada was born again as the Uber Pixie, and it was a real pleasure to be reunited with my first demon! Her stats are great, but I was way more excited by some of the other new party members I accrued, such as:
- Raidou! I love this guy. The character design is so cool, though I think what really drew me to him was the excellent characterization and Japanese VO work of his feline companion. Something about the warbly post processing on it really drew me in every time he addressed his silent companion “rAiDoUuuu.” His moveset is really fun and very much came in handy later.
- Shady Broker Mothman! Wow, this happy little dude is probably the best macca I’ve spent in the game…downright broken! They have a swiss-army knife of every high level spell in the game and, to top it off, Mana Refill. Wowzers
- Did not love the cursed hallways in the fourth Kalpa…this was some MGSIV microwave hallway level torture. Nevertheless, I persevered and excruciatingly explored every inch of this area (only to find out later I could have just gone back and done so after defeating Beelzebub and clearing out the curse….oh well).
- Metatron was a pretty intense fight. His design was something to behold, especially the very extra way he would extend out his arms when he reset his pose after each strike. This is where Raidou was really crucial, as I could Raptor Guardian each time Metatron Debilitated my party to cancel all the debuffs. Once I settled into a rhythm of Focus, pass, heal, attack or un-debuff with Raidou, and Focus attack, it was just a matter of time before I locked in that True Demon path. As a side-note, I made the very silly decision to keep the Satan Magatama active for this fight, rendering my character weak to Light…oops! I have the “Anti-Light” skill, but it turns out the elemental weakness takes precedence. Fortunately, I lucked out with the instakill spells long enough to dig out a few Tetraja Rocks…
I’ve now returned from Hell and resumed my path through Yurakucho, which feels like a nice little breather after all that excitement. I have SMTV waiting in the wings after I wring everything I can out of this SMT3 playthrough (intentionally avoiding the megaten thread for now so I can go in fresh) but I might need some kind of palate cleanser before I dive into that.