Any VR users in these here forums?

Bummed that the IC crew aren‘t into it, but I’m a huge fan of the stuff. I hear a lot of people talking down on the medium, but there‘s a sizeable amount of worthwhile experiences out there. I don’t know if the venn of Insert Credit devotees and VR mavens is larger than my own self, but if it is, what have you been playing? Which headsets do you own? What‘s your favorite experience that isn’t HL:A?

Heck, if you don't own a set, offer your opinions as an outsider. I've used the stuff fairly regularly for half a decade now, so my perspective is skewed.

I wrote the text for a VR game called Astraeus - the VO isn't to my taste but what can you do!! Astraeus on Steam

I think like 15 people played it heh heh

I will never be able to get into VR until they all get rid of those damned cables. I know we are getting there, but progress is slow. Anyway, Astro Bot is a really cool game, considering all the constraints. I got fed up with the PSVR set-up itself and never got past the second world, sadly. Not the game’s fault!

i like vr a bunch! or at least, it has a romance about it where it feels the same way the earliest Internet I can remember felt: new ways of doing things better every day, with everyone present talking about it knowing fully that it’s not even close to ready yet, but it is definitely going to be The Future in an ubiquitous way.

i have an original model Vive and i play some things here and there; beat saber, archery games, superhot. mostly i just load up Bigscreen and exist in my own private movie theater.

@exodus#3529 Heyy that‘s cool! I’ve seen that developer‘s games around for a long time - they carved out a niche for themselves pretty early on GearVR (rip), I played the Tactera demo in like 2015. Bummer that their newer efforts aren’t catching on.

@chazumaru#3547 Wires are the bane of my god darn existence. Getting a Quest was mind-blowing because of how surreally easy it is to use in comparison. Astro Bot is incredible, for sure! Sony's doing a great job of getting high-production-value first party games on it. Gonna check out that Fromsoft game that seems like an Echo Night spiritual successor.

@espercontrol#3550 I feel that romance pretty strongly, for sure. It's the same kind of magical think-of-the-possibilities novelty that I feel like I was born a bit too late ('96) to experience on the Internet itself - instead I'm finding it in places like VRChat, which is a whole other rabbit hole...

@neuroshmancer you (and everyone else) should watch my favorite Christopher Lambert movie, Nirvana. VR (and VR game development) features heavily in it!

I have PSVR, and I just find myself making my own things to do in games. Iron Man VR was ok (except for a few boring, slow parts and padding (time trial type stuff)) but the real fun is just putting on your own soundtrack and flying around. Same thing with Blood & Truth.

I really enjoy having a sense of presence and just hanging out.

All of this being said; I have to sit in an uncomfortable chair when I play Tetris Effect in VR because otherwise, I’d be in there forever.

@adamazing#3588 tetris effect and thumper both are rad VR rhythm experiences that go an awfully long way toward validating the medium for me.

i’m with you on the idea that for the most part, “games” kinda take a back seat to “enabling wild stuff that isn’t particularly structured” like flying and listening to jams. i think games are definitely gonna be a big part of VR going forward, but i’m less excited about them than most other off-the-wall experiences people seem to be thinking up.

My worry is who's gonna fund those big experiences - I helped out a little with XRDC, which is basically GDC for VR, and watched as each year there were fewer and fewer games participants and more and more medical, military, and construction training applications, etc. Ultimately the show just stopped happening.

I've also watched devs wildly cast around for funding in the last few months - VR games are pricey to make, but they don't make money right now, so publishers are less inclined to get into it. It's got to basically be funded by Oculus, or Valve, or it doesn't get made, or is very small. And who knows if Sony is gonna do PSVR for PS5? It's real up in the air right now!

All that by way of saying I'm also very curious about what VR is going to become going forward.

I‘ve got a Rift CV1 that I’m not using these days, moving back and forth between my dorm and my parents‘ house made it annoying to set up and tear down and then these days I’m using Linux on my desktop for gaming and the Rift just doesn‘t support it. I will say though: VR gaming is cool. I think in a weird way I’d prefer VR on consoles because it‘s such a cumbersome thing to set up, I’d really like to see a full-fat VR setup that doesn't make me use up a half dozen USB ports and stuff on my PC.

That said, though, the most surprising thing for me was how incredible it felt to play multiplayer games in VR. All kinds. From the more typical stuff like Onward where you're kinda just playing a regular military shooter to the stuff that really only works in VR like Echo Arena. Just being able to control your hands naturally is such an interesting experience for games. Like you can throw someone an item or something in VR and they'll catch it. In Echo Arena you can grab onto someone's shoulders and launch yourself off of them into zero gravity towards the goal. Little stuff like reloading guns or tossing something from one hand to the other feels super cool.

I think when they figure out stuff like focus and the unwieldiness it'll be great.

>

@adamazing#3588 I really enjoy having a sense of presence and just hanging out.

Any great VR experience encourages this, I think. It's one of HL:A's greatest strengths how every part of the world is meticulously designed to look and sound lived-in, which bridges the sensory gap between "I'm wearing a VR headset and standing in my room" and "I'm standing in a rotting apartment building being overtaken by an alien fungus." To sort of go off what @espercontrol#3593 said, VR games that try to adapt existing genres to VR risk feeling stilted/boring when you're not just playing the game, but inhabiting it. Paper Beast (Eric Chahi's new game!!!) does an excellent job of giving the player the space to be in the world and play with these surreal creatures, while still having the broad structure of a puzzle game. I'm worried it'll pass under people's radar, since it's a sub-three-hour game and VR Gamers don't like that, but it's one of my favorite things I've played recently.

@exodus#3596 VR dev is definitely risky. From what I've gathered, PSVR ended up doing pretty well for Sony, though. I don't expect anything for at least another year or two after the PS5 launch, but I'd bet money they're planning PSVR2 behind closed doors. Definitely gonna check out Nirvana too, seems right up my alley!

@donrumata#3603 I attempted to use my Vive in a dorm for the last year and a half of college. What a pain in the ass. But you're totally right about the multiplayer, it instantly unlocks all sorts of interesting new interactions. Pavlov makes you input a random code on the bomb's keypad to arm/defuse it for SnD, which is a cool touch.

oh man: i have not yet heard of paper beast!! guess i know what i’m doing this weekend. thank you for the heads up!!

on the multiplayer note, presence of others really is just a totally unique experience that i can’t even explain. my first ever time doing VR was at PAX East 2013 or 14, me and a buddy snuck onto the show floor early and got in line for the oculus booth (i *think* these were DK2s). we were seated right next to each other, and both looked at each other, and started nodding up and down at each other: i immediately knew “oh, this is substantially different from any other interactive medium.” there’s just so much opportunity for impromptu communication and intuitive interaction that i’m not surprised things like VRChat and the like took off so well!

That Hitman VR they announced today could be neat, but once again, for hanging out in. “I’m at a bar/club/concert/golf course/wherever.”

I’ve come to realize I don’t really want to “play” a game in VR. It’s mostly all been tedious things