Best British redubs for games with American voice acting

I accidentally listened to episodes 193 and 135 back to back and each episode talked about Gex and specifically made fun of his voice acting.

Meanwhile in the UK we had an entirely different voice actor for Gex!!

My favourite British voices are for Ape Escape!

While not on quite the same thing I always appreciated being able to buy Sonic Colo_u_rs and Kirby‘s Epic Yarn’s mentions of trousers, rather than pants (which thinking about it, must've been a re-dub).

I've heard a bit about this Gex redub, were the jokes also localized? Got any specific examples?

@“docky”#p38180 I saw this and immediately thought of Ape Escape. I grew up in North America but moved to PAL land later. Was very surprised to hear the dub of Ape Escape 3.

@“Kimimi”#p38205 https://youtu.be/URskY_cpHgk

@“exodus”#p38208

The Gex 3D intro is similar but immediately swaps out cultural references.

“for two years I started my day watching kung fu theater” becomes “for two years I started my day watching supermarket sweep”, a famout british 1990s daytime TV show.

https://youtu.be/koUY9sl1v4s?list=PLI2o6Uusv62p2rnlrY2BHlJKjLjmOht6Y&t=40

Leslie Phillips was known as being a 'ladies man' in old fashioned British movies, and his catchphrases of 'ding-dong' and 'why, hello~' were all carried with James Bond style lechery.
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/jQCyXEw.png]

They used a different actor for 'Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko', and the delivery is much closer to the US version. Daniel John Jules was mostly known as Cat from Red Dwarf.
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/wFibMin.png]

@“hellomrkearns”#p38211

I don't know why Ape Escape had a redub or why they commited to it with both sequels! I can only guess that SCEE was quite powerful in the 1990s and there was a lot of effort being made by publishers to succeed in Europe.

Digging through this dubbing wiki reveals that [Marc Silk was Specter in Ape Escape](https://dubbing.fandom.com/wiki/Ape_Escape_2), and he also did voices of Johnny Bravo for Cartoon Network UK. Weird.

I still can't get over the fact that America redubbed Thomas the Tank Engine's Ringo Starr with George Carlin.

@“Kimimi”#p38205

That redub is a relief, to be honest! I wonder how many pairs of pants were left untouched when crossing the pond, one way or another.
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/CYIMbGt.jpeg]

[“Best British redubs for games with Ameican voices”,“Best British redubs for games with American voice acting”]

A huge peeve of mine is how many games these days have fake-ass british accents in the dub. Breath of the Wild is a major culprit. Zelda‘s accent is so bad. I have to listen to the JP voices. We have great examples of how to do fantasy voice acting from From Software games, Dragon Quest VIII (not so much XI, but it’s passing lol), and Final Fantasy XII. So there‘s no longer any excuse, especially for Zelda, which used to have much better gibberish than the new english VA.

I am wholly unaware of when games are re-dubbed for the EU versions, but I’d be very interersted, especiall for fantasy games.

@“docky”#p38220 Ah right! I guess I heard about this, though I didn't know The Cat was Gex 3.

Also I had to look up Kung Fu Theater. Apparently it was a "show" that presented kung fu movies on the USA cable network. That's... a relatively obscure reference for Gex I think.

I found out about the off-Broadway then on-Broadway musical Avenue Q through very old forum-dwelling MP3-sharing sheanigans. I shared it with my French friends and we fondly remembered all songs by heart after a while (fun fact: this short-lived group fever for Avenue Q somehow led to a friend starting a conversation with his future American wife).

The show has that song called _Everyone's a Little Bit Racist_, which has probably aged very poorly with the broadcast illusion of a post-racist society getting vigorously shattered to pieces recently, and one bit in the song goes like this:

>

FORMER CHILD ACTOR GARY COLEMAN:

> You were telling a black joke!

>
>

PRINCETON THE PUPPET PROTAGONIST:

> Well, sure, Gary, but lots of people tell black jokes…

>
>

GARY COLEMAN:

> I don’t.

>
>

PRINCETON:

> Well, of course you don’t — you’re black!

> But I bet you tell Polack jokes, right?

>
>

GARY COLEMAN:

> Well, sure I do. Those stupid Polacks!

About ten years later, I lived in London for a while and Avenue Q happened to be performed in the The West End district, and some friends that I had shared my fondness of Avenue Q with happened to be visiting, and we all went to see the show. We were surprised to find out they had localized a few Jokes, which was a bit weird in the context of a story built on New York gentrification and Sesame Street references and Gary Coleman being a character in the story. The one scene above went like this.

>

GARY COLEMAN:

> You were telling a black joke!

>
>

PRINCETON:

> Well, sure, Gary, but lots of people tell black jokes…

>
>

GARY COLEMAN:

> I don’t.

>
>

PRINCETON:

> Well, of course you don’t — you’re black!

> But I bet you tell French jokes, right?

>
>

GARY COLEMAN:

> Well, sure I do. Those stupid French!

And I was a bit sad. Well! That had nothing to do with video games, sorry!

I like that the Xenoblade series has, almost "canonically" now despite the loosely shared universes of each game, a British-English voice casting due meta-contextual reasons surrounding the first game. This also led to the incidental casting of [a young actress who became much more famous](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenna_Coleman) in the UK just a year after the release of Xenoblade Chronicles in Europe. It's pretty cool that she accepted to reprise her role in last year's remake, especially because there is a [brand new story](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXMIzVxdV7Q) centered on her character, despite having seemingly completely dropped video game voice acting from her regular jobs.

I didn't want to start a new thread just for this but this one seemed like an otherwise best place for me to share this very British hidden object game based on very British institution, Coronation Street - a soap opera that only grandparents seem to watch nowadays.

I'm only sharing because a friend reminded me of this when we saw it when we were on holiday. I very much imagine someone lost a lot of money on this.

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/YcuedTF.jpeg]

@“chazumaru”#p38323 Part of me wonders if that's also because in the UK we have a lot of xenophobic attacks on the Polish, so French felt a bit safer to them as ridiculous as that sounds. The show was borderline enough that, why teeter it over the end further.

@"LeFish"#p38331 I used to see this every time I went into Morissons, do any other soaps have games? I swear I've never seen an Eastenders game from memory. Phil Mitchell's Crack Hunt, or Queen Vic Simulator.

>

@“Auberji”#p38332 do any other soaps have games?

[upl-image-preview url=https://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/272500-neighbours-commodore-64-screenshot-on-the-startline.png]

...the Atari ST version looks better, but I never saw that one in person. Heaps of people had C=64's, I didn't know anyone with an ST

@“rejj”#p38333 Waaaaaiiiiit wait wait!

Apparently there was an Amiga Neighbours game also, but it was a point and click adventure!
[upl-image-preview url=https://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/l/65708-neighbours-amiga-screenshot-good-old-joe-mangle.png]

Neighbours is Australian though innit? (secret british soap mini-thread). Loving the amount of micro computer games for that sorta stuff on a quick google though.

@“Auberji”#p38335 Yeah it is Australian but was highly popular in the UK. Or at least we were led to believe!

Kylie Minogue came from Neighbours, and its popularity in the UK is supposedly a large reason for her pop success

@“rejj”#p38336 Oh I know, I grew up in that age. It never really survived the transition to Channel Five!

@“treefroggy”#p38263 if you ever hear a real royal person speak, their accent is about as bizarre as BOTW zelda's. i am all for insane made up transatlantic accents in fantasy stuff. and shakespeare or shakespeare-adjacent stuff! old bill probably had a brummie accent like ozzy osbourne!