Best of PS2

Hey everyone! If you want to get your favorite PlayStation 2 games submitted for consideration for our ranking episode, make sure to send them into show@insertcredit.com with the subject line PS2. You can make anywhere from 1-20 choices. You can post and discuss them here as long as Brandon promises not to read this thread.

I‘m guessing it’ll be PS2 exclusives, all of my suggestions are going to be vehicle and racing games because I am very very biased

Ico - If Ico isn't in the best of PS2 I *will* throw a tamper tantrum.
Shadow of the Colossus - Ditto the above
Gran Turismo 4. - THE racing game for the PS2, don't @ me
Ace Combat 4 - I've heard AC5 is better, but I haven't played it yet, AC4 is still very very good
Armored Core 3 - I love a game where you can use so much ammo and take so much damage that you lose money
Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero - Probably a harder sell, but the car rumbles every time you go over a seam in the highway, it accurately captures the feeling of driving on a highway at 2am. Also you can race people
Skygunner - I just want people to remember this game, honestly

>

@marlfuchs2#1817 Skygunner - I just want people to remember this game, honestly

This one. I shelled out to get a copy of the guide from Japan just to have more of the art, and though I'm not very good at it, I speed run it on occasion as an excuse to play it more often.

A couple for me (after Ico and Shadow of the Colossus as well) would have to be:
Breath of Fire 5: Dragon Quarter - Confusing name aside, this game had some really fun and strategic turn based gameplay, as well as a fascinating setting.
Jak and Daxter - It's a fun, smooth collect-em-up, bright and colorful. It just feels good to run around and hunt down every little bit and bob.
Okage: Shadow King - There's plenty to love about this weird RPG. It's got a weird feel to the world, and it's just a bit of silly fun.
Spider Man 2 - Climbing on stuff and web slinging. That is all.
God Hand - You have to get in the groove of the combat if you've played any other action game recently, but dang, does it feel good.

I am consistently shocked how little I care about the PS2 given its place as the most successful game console of all time. I certainly have played more hours of PS1 games and movie DVDs than PS2 games on that thing. In no particular order, although I guess how quickly each title came up to my head says something about their place in my heart…

• * Ridge Racer V
  • * Shin Megami Tensei III Nocturne
  • * Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
  • * Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac Job System
  • * Curry House CoCo Ichibanya
  • * Zettai Zetsumei Toshi
  • * Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 2
  • * Sakurazaka Shōbōtai
  • * Kamiwaza
  • * Chulip
  • * Shadow of the Colossus
  • * Gradius V
  • * Bumpy Trot
    (_I actually needed to start thinking about what PS2 games I have played from that point, so I guess the above is my top 13_)
  • * Tori no Hoshi
  • * Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution
  • * Katamari Damacy
  • * Birubaku
    (_from that point I had to take a look at my PS2 shelf to pick the last three_)
  • * Dragon Quest VIII
  • * Way of the Samurai
  • * Metal Gear Solid 2
  • I guess that’s that. Obviously now that I look at my shelf, I see way more games but I guess better to not think too hard about it.

(Are we supposed to make a case for each of them? I see the fine people above me have taken the trouble to do so...)

Lot of great games mentioned already that I won’t bother repeating but definitely consider me co-signed. Here are seven totally exclusive games that are worth remembering.

• -

Contra: Shattered Soldier

(A solid Contra game in the style of the original versions but with updated 3D graphics. Still hard as a rock but just as fun to crack.)

• -

Neo Contra
    (Yeah that’s right my list has two Contra games on it dealwithitdog.gif. Compared to Shattered Soldier Neo Contra is bursting with wonderful color, energy and a slew of creative camera angles.)

• -

Grand Theft Auto 3
    (What else is there to be said with this one? Still one of my favorite games in the series. It can be 100%ed in a dozen hours but I spent many times that with it when it came out. At the time it was endless and full of wonder. Truly a game changer.)

• -

Sky Odyssey
    (This one is like if Pilot Wings had been a PS2 game instead. Kind of simulation-y but nowadays the control scheme will probably be the biggest challenge to overcome.

• -

Ratchet and Clank
    (Colorful, breezy and filled to the brim with guns and gadgets.)

• -

Devil May Cry
    (Perhaps the original Stylish Action Game? I couldn’t decide to list this one or the third one. Maybe I should have done both!)

• -

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
    (It’s Cavia and it’s Ghost in the Shell and I like both of those a lot. Plus I hear Cavia is coming back so isn’t that great.)

• Rather than list of my favorite PS2 games, I thought I‘d call attention to PS2 games that nobody knows about. Note: I would have included Curry House CoCo Ichibanya if @chazumaru#1826 hadn’t already beaten me to it. Anyway…

• - Blood Will Tell, the Tezuka-based action game from when action games were all the rage.
  • - _Bujingai_, the visually lavish action game from the same era.
  • - _ChainDive_, the grungy looking, tightly paced side scroller keeping the previous generation's tradition of tightly paced action games alive.
  • - _Code Age Commanders_, the Akitoshi Kawazu game that absolutely nobody remembers.
  • - _Combat Queen_ the schlocky FMV shooter that vaguely anticipated _Earth Defense Force_.
  • - _Dual Hearts_, the colorful action platformer whose story sounds strangely similar to _Black Clover_.
  • - _Ephemeral Fantasia_, the early RPG that absolutely everyone compares to _Majora's Mask_ (for immediately obvious reason).
  • - _Haka Ki Sou_, the visual novel I accidentally discovered by typing the PSX2 Data Center's URL into my URL bar.
  • - _Haru ka naru Toki no Naka de 3_, the _Angelique_-like from the people who made and learned from _Angelique_'s success.
  • - _Higanbana_. Nope; can't find any information for this one. But there is a GBA version of it, somehow.
  • - _Kita he. Diamond Dust + Kiss is Beginning._, the visual novel whose WIkipedia description is strangely reminding me of the contemporary _Fuuraiki_.
  • - _Nano Breaker_, a Konami-developed action game to break up the visual novel streak I'm on.
  • - _Otostaz_, the abstract city-building puzzle game.
  • - _Bakudan Poi Poi_, the explosive-themed game of tag that brings in some Simple 2000 flavor.
  • - _Twin Caliber_, the game I cannot believe wasn't a fake _CSI_ video game based on the screenshots alone.
  • - _Uchuu Keiji Tamashii: The Space Sheriff Spirits_, Namco's post-_Wonder Momo_ contribution to the tokusatsu action genre.
  • - _Whiplash_, the anti-corporate, environmentalist 3D platformer from an era replete with 3D platformers.
  • - _Yoshinoya_, the restaurant-themed game I wasn't beaten to the punch on this time.
  • - Persona 3 FES - Probably my favourite game and the reason I softmodded my PS2 in 2018 (PAL version is expensive). I prefer it over it's successors as the supporting characters feel like they have a lot of agency which builds a better story. The initally frustrating battle mechanics help build this too.
  • - We Love Katamari - Because the original was never released here.
  • - Persona 4 - Still cool and I got a lot of enjoyment noting down the entire game to 'solve' the mystery. This game is also the reason I played 3 FES.
  • From here this list is taken over by younger self as I grew up with the PS2.

• - Sonic Riders - A weirdly skilled based racing game with a challenging story mode and lots to grind for: perfect for my 9 year old self. Good music and some cool style.
  • - Spy vs Spy - A fun party game with good battle mechanics for kids who dont know how to aim.
  • - Rachet & Clank 3 - A shooter with little aiming required. Interesting weapons and my first experience with new game+. I have fond memories of exploring the multiplayer maps with friends.
  • - Tak: The Great Juju Challenge - An A-class example of a simple 3D co-op platformer and beat-em-up. Some jokes still hit especially with voice acting from Patrick Warburton.
  • - Scaler - Apart from the FPS sections my friend had to beat for me, a cool game with a vibe that doesn't exist in modern games anymore.
  • >

@beets#1841 We Love Katamari - Because the original was never released here.

I didn't realize PAL was still missing out on things well into PS2. I knew it was bad in earlier generations, but I kinda figured by then things would have largely sorted out...

PAL also got a lot of games the US didn‘t - like Michigan, EDF, and a whole lot of simple 2000 games. Dunno if it really evens out, but it’s something!

There is a small collection of really interesting PAL and JP only PS2 games that I guess come out of whatever publishing situation in Europe there was that also allowed for a ton of shovel-ware. Maken Shao: Demon Sword springs to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J8UKOtEnNo

As does Runabout 3. There's even some PAL exclusives like the PSP to PS2 port of Wipeout Pulse, and the I think France only Sengoku Anthology

hmm, I kinda want that maken shao demon sword thing now

First post!

i chose three games:

Mark of kri: I remember thinking everyone would rip off its battle system and no one did. Also it had a really nice art style that would do a cool transition from real paintings into the game.

suikoden V: I was really disappointed by suikoden Iv but this one felt really true to the series and really sucked me in at the time

deus ex for ps2: one spring break I had to quit smoking pot because of panic attacks but I lived in a house full of potheads who decided to spend spring break doing nothing but watching children of dune and smoking a lot of pot. I holed myself up in a side room with a carton of cigarettes ad did nothing but play deus ex. Also it forced me to learned an inverted camera and I’ve been broken by that ever since.

@exodus#1849 Its Maken X on Dreamcast but in third person instead of first. I think it MIGHT be the only SMT related game with an English translation to not be released in the US.

>

exodus Its Maken X on Dreamcast but in third person instead of first. I think it MIGHT be the only SMT related game with an English translation to not be released in the US.

It's also a nightmare to emulate, even officially. The meshes *explode* with even the slightest bit of camera movement. I can't find any video of it, unfortunately, and the screenshots I took don't demonstrate it (presumably because I knew the problem was there and didn't think capturing gameplay in that state was worth it).

here's the list I sent in. Glad to see a few got on the list!

Disaster Report
    Raw Danger
    Katamari Damacy
    I ❤Katamari
    Guitar Hero II
    Ape Escape 2
    Ape Escape 3
    Tokyo Xtreme Racer 3 (Shutokou Battle 01)
    Yakuza 2
    Burnout 3: Takedown
    Def Jam: Fight for NY
    Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
    Gran Turismo 4
    Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
    Karaoke Revolution Party
    Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction
    Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
    Michigan: Report from Hell
    The Simpsons: Hit & Run
    SSX Tricky
    Tourist Trophy

ape escape 3 under the wire! and some of them got discussed peripherally anyway…

Been looking over my PS2 games with the thought of getting rid of them. The ones I'll miss are:

• - Tetsujin 28-Go - Still my fave Sandlot game I think, so I'll put it in here as a stand-in for all of them. Can always play EDF elsewhere now.
  • - _Raw Danger!_
  • - _OutRun2006_ - I don't play racing games much, and this is by-far my fave. I like that I can chuck my own music in the Windows version though, so don't play this version anymore.
  • - _Flipnic_ - Videogamey pinball, which is a concept I wish there was more of.
  • - _Skygunner_
  • - _Sky Odyssey_
  • - _Galaxy Force II_ - I guess it'll show up on the Switch maybe.
  • - All those Taito compilations
  • - _Virtua Fighter 4 Evo_
  • Games I'd like to play more before I get rid of them:

• - _Garouden Breakblow_ - Big boys.
  • - Those _Maximo_ games.
  • - _Shinobi_
  • - _Romancing SaGa_
  • - _Ace Combat: The Belkan War_
  • - _King's Field IV_
  • - _The Warriors_
  • - _Way of the Samurai_
  • Ones I need to bloody emulate already:

• - _Chulip_
  • @Video_Game_King#1861 This sounds terrific.

@Blrb#1979 I forgot about Maximo! My little brother and I had to tag team it back in the day on account of it being pretty rough (I'm not very good at games).

Editing my double post I moved to the show thread.