Consoles repurposed for completely different functions

I recently watched this Cathode Ray Dude video about the Niveus Edge. CRD is a youtuber who mainly does reviews of esoteric old PCs, and this series covers ones made for very niche uses. Niveus was a small company that specialized in making expensive AV media centric PCs in the early/mid 00s that let you watch your hard drive stored media on your big TV/sound system, while also being silent due to not relying on loud fans. This particular Edge system tho is not exactly a standalone device, rather it just streams content from your main PC to your living room AV setup thru your local network, and halfway thru the video it is revealed that this Niveus Edge is SPOILERS: just a regular Xbox 360 with it’s shell, DVD drive, and fans removed, and just planted into the Niveus custom metal based heat-dispatching shell (one that is not properly grounded, which is pretty dangerous).

And over in the comments section of the video, someone noted that Konami’s Python 2 arcade system that runs various DDR and Bemani games, is simply a whole PS2 system, just put inside a metal casing with all the ports wired from the PS2 to the front of the metal case.

It did make me think if there are other cases like this where a console is wholesale repurposed for other uses, not like in the way many arcade hardwares use the innards of a consoles processors or motherboard, but wholesale plopped into another. Idk if other examples of this exist, but I felt like no better place to ask this than the Insert Credit forums.

14 Likes

The first thing that came to mind was when the ǝɔɹoℲ ɹᴉ∀ S∩ :face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting: used almost 2000 PS3s as a super computer

10 Likes

Not exactly the same thing, but there was the time I realised a step drill and some buttons was substantially cheaper than buying an officially branded Hitbox.

17 Likes

war……has changed

5 Likes

It’s actually been mentioned on the podcast several times, but Atari Jaguar stock was sold off and turned into dental cameras.

Edit: Actually it might have been the molds or production or something, not stock. Either way, Jaguars were turned into dental cameras.

8 Likes

all those ps3s and no games to play

8 Likes

Ah sick. I’ve seen a hitbox made with the case of an Xbox 360 IRL once at a big international event. I guess the cases for those were sturdy enough to support all the button bashing these take.

3 Likes

Yep that is true. It’s the plastic mold.

8 Likes

Look mum no computer’s gameboy synth

(Great channel btw)

12 Likes

i know a guy who turned his dreamcast into an amp

4 Likes

which reminds me of this guy who’s got a linux distro for dreamcast.

3 Likes

I think there was a brief period where a hacked og Xbox was a pretty good HTPC too. I couldn’t get it to work though.

2 Likes

This might not count but the Playstation 1 (specifically model number “SCPH-1001”) is a great CD player.

“you’d have to spend more than $6,000 on a one-box CD player to equal, let alone better it.”
https://www.businessinsider.com/guides/tech/sony-playstation-1-audiophile-cd-player?op=1

3 Likes

At the end of the Dreamcast’s lifespan SEGA was scrambling to secure any “Dreamcast on a chip” deals they could and (un?)fortunately none of them really panned out. A lot of these links are lost to time and I’m too lazy to go archive.org sleuthing ;P

A similar but different concept did make it to production and saw a pretty limited release: Sega’s Fish Life. Fish Life was a Dreamcast with extra hardware repurposed into a (2000’s era) DVD player-esque case. It was lost to history for a while but rediscovered and had the software dumped. Read all about here:

https://segafish.museebolo.ch/en/presentation/

7 Likes

7 Likes

PowerVR put DC technology in PCs as a graphics card, the technology was further developed and now powers billions of smartphones

2 Likes

This is my GameCube that was ruined in a flood.

20 Likes
1 Like

Screenshot_2024-05-16-05-01-52-39_f9ee0578fe1cc94de7482bd41accb329

2 Likes

Wow wow wow that is some hecking synchronicity… :O

1 Like