Cyberpunk (or Not) 2077

>

@yeso#10481 #2 hog and #4 pubes

First, LOL. Second, how often do you as the game player get a chance to see that groin you so lovingly crafted in the character creator? Like... is it secretly a PC-98 game?

i feel like this tweet by a buddy of mine puts in a lot of work, here: https://twitter.com/endevero/status/1336428344431153152?s=21

56 Minutes! :open_mouth:

@antillese#10482 hopefully they pull an MGSV and you don't see your setup until a twist ending 67 hrs later

First time I've ever seen Steam buckle since like Half Life 2???

Getting 144KB from steam at the moment for the 4 gig activation patch.

Seeing this on Twitter has been pretty interesting - I still have some thoughts I wanted to get online tonight or tomorrow before even playing it (picking up my physical copy in-store tomorrow).

Looking forward to hearing what you all have to think if anyone starts playing it overnight!

I figure the majority of my evening will be dialing in settings on my PC. Will update though. So far Steam is acting crazier than I have seen it in YEARS.

@espercontrol#10486

I'm working on a longer post for this thread that attempts to be a bit of a post-mortem of the cyberpunk "genre" from 1980-2020, but suffice to say your friend is 100% correct

I pre-ordered it for PS4 as a Christmas gift for my partner, and it came in the mail today (I still like physical copies and so does she). She was a huge Witcher 3 fan, while I was lukewarm on it. However, I‘m a fan of cyberpunk as a genre in books and movies, so that’s a draw for me. But it'll be a bit delayed due to waiting for the holiday.

@antillese#10482

It seems like the game has answered my own question. Regarding Cyberpunk discourse, I am completely on team Frank here.

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/1337133201022578688?s=20

I won't link to the many that are making the rounds directly because this forum auto-displays them and that would be pretty rude. However, if you have the same sense of humor as I do, you should find them because they are absolutely hilarious.

is gwent or a gwent equivalent in this game??

It sure seems like the legacy of this game will be “everyone got extremely overhyped about a mediocre game because it was named and marketed as the new standard for an entire genre when in reality it was just Grand Theft Auto In The Future” from what i'm picking up lately. (i suppose the witcher 3 also set expectations.)

@yeso#10572 Not that I have seen yet - but I am only a few hours into the story, and I am one of the ill-fated PS4 slim players so it has already crashed twice for me last night - will grind away through the story today.

>

@espercontrol#10610 It sure seems like the legacy of this game will be “everyone got extremely overhyped about a mediocre game because it was named and marketed as the new standard for an entire genre when in reality it was just Grand Theft Auto In The Future” from what i’m picking up lately. (i suppose the witcher 3 also set expectations.)

I don't think you are too wrong - working on a small little review of it just for myself really but I do think that the hype train was only part of this disappointment. It is one thing if a hyped game doesn't live up to all that is promised, Cyberpunk 2077 was almost expected to be an entirely new experience that when it comes out as an RPG, it feels empty, but that is only part of the problem with it I think - the art is completely gone, the character of the world completely plastic. I won't go on here, will link the review once I get around to writing it, though I am not much of a game reviewer I will admit.

When the early footage for this game came out I was really looking forward to it, and I adored Witcher 3. But the hype cycle was far too long for me and my interest has dwindled down to nothing. I have watched a couple of the Digital Foundry videos showing off the graphics and the game‘s aesthetic just feels weirdly lacking. I can see that it’s graphically impressive but the various assets in the world don't seem to mesh in a satisfying way, for me at least.

i played a pirated copy of this with a friend last night for about two hours and, to keep it brief, the game mostly feels like just the most middling AAA experience possible. essentially a very-pretty Bethesda-style-Fallout type of game. i can get into more detail if people are interested, but “mediocre” is definitely the word that came to mind while playing.

From what I‘ve seen it looks like the game is weighed down by 1) AAA ambitions and shareholder demands flattening what could be decent weirdness into set piece shooting design (scripted car chases, turret sequences, boring shit like that), and 2) adherence to outmoded genre tropes including a sense of nerd humor that’s about 15-20 years behind the times. That billboard image with the small/medium sized bulge on the feminine-presenting figure is all over the place. There's like 5000 of those ads all over the city. Milfguard is lamely funny if you see it once, not countless times. Very strange decision to plaster this stuff everywhere.

Have not seen any of the downbeat/quiet moments that made TW1,2,3 interesting. For TW3, I turned off the music and played it entirely with ambient/diegetic sounds. Really appreciated the atmosphere and elements approaching "dignity" despite the overall B movie-ness (which was also appealing)

Quietly breaking off or affirming the relationship w yennifer, getting drunk with the other witcher bros, snowball fight w ciri - not seeing any of those sorts of moments in CP77.

There is a lot to like wrt to the layout and geometry of the city, some of the visual design (although it suffers from a mass effect style prefab interiors and object placement look in places). Walking along busy sidewalks in skyscraper canyons is great. I would definitely like to turn off the music and walk around.

It reminds me a little of Destiny in the sense that it's lots of time, money, labor by talented people with ideas, but everything is bent out of shape by AAA-ness.

@yeso#10628 i don’t want to inadvertently dunk on myself or derail the conversation but i would definitely claim that as Large rather than medium/small.

I'm just being an idiot dont mind me

boy, if everybody could hear the sigh I just made. https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/375148/CDPR_estimates_Cyberpunk_2077_has_already_recouped_development_and_marketing_costs_.php

Turns out all the jokes about we living the real cyberpunk were more true than expected:

[URL=https://i.imgur.com/0tmhCf7.png][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/0tmhCf7.png[/IMG][/URL]

https://twitter.com/GIBiz/status/1337370295519232002