Do you use CRT, scanlines, & other filters when playing on modern displays?

I don‘t even like to play new indie games that are made with pixel graphics if there aren’t any scanline/blending options. Sonic Mania, again, got it perfectly. Stuff like Bloodstained Curse of the Moon, Shovel Night, Stardew Valley etc. really really bothers me and feels ugly to look at. Exceptions are things like Downwell and Minit, which have graphics so minimal that they feel at home on something like a Wonderswan.

@“treefroggy”#p118506 I can post some in the Hardware Showoff thread. I have made some recent acquisitions that are worthy of pics.

@“connrrr”#p118508

Also note that the speed is wrong on NES at least on that specific ROM on stock firmware/OS.

@“antillese”#p118989 it looks bad from here, but I wonder if someone couldn't design a new game around the aesthetic.

I had it in the back of my head the next time I set up my gamecube to take photos of gba games in 240p through GBI with composite blending. The composite blending on these floor tiles in Sonic Advance’s Angel Island Zone support a nearly identical example to the infamous tiles of Sonic 3’s Hydrocity Zone.

Especially coming off the tail of beating shining force on unmodded mega drive hardware, GBI has really clean composite output. The blending often serves the graphics in a way that is similar to the interlaced effect of the agb-001.

It’s up to personal taste, it looks good over component too, but if you haven’t tried it and you have the equipment, give it a shot! You may save yourself from spending $200 on a component cable if you think it looks cool. I pretty much only use component for 3D games on GCN.

I‘m a big “sometimes” person. The filters on more contemporary collections are generally pretty good and it depends on my mood and / or the game but then sometimes the raw pixels are also pretty hot so I’m OK for either.

My only red line is CRT curve filters. Those things always look terrible like I'm trying to play a videogame through a fishbowl.

Maybe this is the thread to ask: what's the deal with plasma TVs?

I might be able to pick up a 42" Panasonic plasma sometime. I don't think it has a problem with burn-in. If it's in good shape, what do I have to look forward to? Bright, vibrant with high contrast and low latency? That's what my cursory googling is starting to tell me.

Anyone here still play on a plasma?

@“the rocky connrrr picture show”#p136509 New tvs can do way more stuff but plasma looks more pleasant and cozy to me. I think plasma tv images look Thick, like they‘re made of flesh and bones. More layered. Whereas oled could look striking, images look thin, clinical, artificial, like they’re thin layer of paint on glass. It's kind of like incandescent light bulbs vs led or cel anime vs digital anime. Off angle viewing is pretty much perfect. I got 42 inch oled as desktop pc monitor but color on the sides shift too much even at 2.5-3 ft away.

You will get long lasting image retention if you don't move things around or play bunch of different games. But even bad ones clear up eventually. I played tons of 50hrs+ games for 15yrs on my plasma and no burn in. You just gotta change things around. They're not very bright so not good for bright room but I never felt it's dim in my moderately bright living room. There is brightness limiter but not as aggressive oled. Plasma image is noisy like digital film noise. Might be too distracting if you sit close. Input lag feels fine to me? I'm not very lag sensitive so can't really say. Scaling from composite/svideo on is bad. My plasma is heading toward end of life stage so there are pink blotches when a big bright lat color images stay on the screen too long. You should watching out for that if you decide to buy it. Some people say you can reduce that by cleaning out dust inside. I should try. There are bunch of dead pixels but I can't really see them from my sitting distance. Oh lastly, it gets hot. Not great for hot summer but good for winter lol.

I still have an old off-brand plasma screen tv that I got on black friday 2012! It was my first ever HDTV and my only tv until last year. It gets very dark blacks compared to LEDs and good contrast ratio. It‘s very good for black and white movies, so much that if I ever get around to Ghost of Tsushima I’d play it on that tv instead of my newfangled HDR OLED. This thing has traveled across the country with me and feels super durable. I don't know if anyone still makes plasma tvs but I suspect you could get some mileage out of a secondhand one.

I am quite hopeful for the future of this shaders package: https://github.com/DeadlyRedCube/Cathode-Retro

https://cathoderetro.com/CathodeRetro-Screen01-Full-MopOfDestiny.jpg

presently it is quite new, and not integrated in to anything yet. _If_ this gets ported/integrated around, I could see it replacing CRT-Royale -- personally I would disable the geometry component, but otherwise this looks fantastic.

@“rejj”#p141856 I saw this the other day too and had a similar “hope this gets baked into stuff” reaction.

I **also** like my funny pixel noise filters without any geometry n transformations so you’re not alone.

Oh, and I keep forgetting but want to tell this to literally the only community that would care or understand: when at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo this year (which you should all come to next year) I played an “older” 80s dot matrix pinball machine where the color dot matrix display had been replaced by an LCD. I get it: things break and age out. That’s fine.

The LCD had a late 90s “super eagle” filter on it. It looked like garbage. Thankfully it was a scoreboard and didn’t have a video mode.

Anyone here getting the rtink 4k?

Anyone tried these Megatron shaders in retroarch? These are for super bright/hdr and high res screens. Really dark on sdr. Has a bunch of shaders for like Sony pvm, JVC D series, Atomiswave, etc. Looks pretty good from the sample pix.

Real Sony PVM
[URL=https://i.imgur.com/1IRH4xq.jpg][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/1IRH4xq.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Megatron shader
[URL=https://i.imgur.com/uewB2or.jpg][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uewB2or.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

@“Tradegood”#p136675 @“KennyL”#p136667 btw I got that 42" Viera and: it is very big, and very heavy. Easily the heaviest television I own. I'm a little afraid of it.