Does this game exist already?

I’m learning Unity and trying to create a particular game for fun, but I wonder if it exists already.

Twin stick enclosed arena shooter. Shotgun style slowish shots. Your bullets persist and ricochet across whole stage for some period. Psyvariar bullet grinding plus a multiplier for enemies destroyed based on number of bullets on screen. Only non-ricocheted bullets damage most enemies, some penalty to points/multiplier for player getting hit. Primarily score attack focused. “Bullet hell of your own making”

Does this game exist? With what I have so far (moving, shooting, bullet counter) it is feeling like It Might Be Fun, and the “extra” ideas that pop up don’t feel too feature-intensive. I’m enjoying learning basic stuff and the mechanics needed seem all within reach. Somehow I feel like I want to know if it’s been done before, but maybe I really don’t care after writing this… at least if I don’t get All The Way Done maybe this idea will knock around in someone else’s head and someday materialize.

Id be stoked to hear any discussion of this game idea and whether it exists already, but also the question of to what extent one should care if a thing has been done before when making a game (or really any creative endeavor). Of course not stealing an idea is good.

I‘m very interested in any game system where you uncover “map tiles” like carcassonne, but there’s a system in place to effect the odds of uncovering certain things.

The only game I can think of is Caves Of Qud: I [wrote about my most recent run a while ago](https://forums.insertcredit.com/d/506-the-thread-in-which-we-talk-about-the-videogames-we-are-currently-playing/6)

I Obtained an item that gave me 5% to discovering ruins. Combined with [flyings] speed, this was a good way to uncover more ruins in the game.

I am looking for a game that feels like recon. Where discovery of the terrain is a major feature.

>

@“MDS-02”#p47582 Id be stoked to hear any discussion of this game idea and whether it exists already, but also the question of to what extent one should care if a thing has been done before when making a game (or really any creative endeavor). Of course not stealing an idea is good.

In my experience, the only moral reaction to discovering your idea resembles an existing game is to scrap it entirely or, at the very least, needlessly pick away at it until it's unique but probably no longer fun.

@“gsk”#p47584 this a thousand times. it is wrong to make a game that has any resemblence to any game ever made. i only pay for games, (and thereby support their creators), if they are utterly incomprehensible.

@“MDS-02”#p47582 the idea sounds cool. i can't think of anything with the ricochet mechanics you describe.

the ricocheted bullets not damaging enemies but harming the player encourages the player to not miss enemies, so encourages them to get close to enemies before shooting. this could be an interesting dial to play with, maybe with pick ups. a weapon that does a lot of damage but whose ricochets can kill the player could be cool.

also, with the ricochet mechanics level geometry would be important. i'd love to se an unilluminable room in such a game:

https://youtu.be/iInarJloEzs

@“pasquinelli”#p47620

Thanks for the input. Yeah the original interest for me was driven by this idea that the level geometry could become a big determinant of play style, which felt neat to me.

@"gsk"#p47584
@"pasquinelli"#p47618
I might be thick as a brick but I cannot figure out what percent of either of these comments are being facetious.

@“MDS-02”#p47632 i can say mine was entirely so.

Sounds like an interesting idea. I can imagine that someone has prototyped this idea before but I've never seen it in practice. You can be the one who figures out how to make it work!

Terror Squid has a somewhat similar concept of a bullet hell of your own making but it's not exactly the same.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1148550/TERROR_SQUID/

@“MDS-02”#p47632 Mine's facetious but also 100% accurate to my own experience

This game doesn't use ricochets but does take a broadly similar risk/reward approach to stray shots: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?pid=10457&tid=1923&autoplay=1#pp

@“MDS-02”#p47582 add a bomb or a reflector and make shots persist indefinitely until they make contact with either player or enemy

The reflector could have a long recharge. Bomb could suck in bullets like a vacuum to increase the power of explosion. More finicky elements like placing walls and different guns. Lean heavy into the chaos aspect and make it about shredding big, slow enemies who have to take a certain amount of dps to overheat their armor

I stole all these ideas, stealing ideas is good.