"Easy" games

I understand, it didn't seem like a game you would enjoy after everything you explained but I wanted to ask anyway :smiley:

I think I agree with everything you said, specially about the importance of teaching the systems properly and putting the effort to establish context and make the player's actions make sense inside the game world, but at the same time, I'm the type of player who looks for a challenge and it pains me to admit it, but I do enjoy being killed by unpredictable stuff in Dark Souls (rather than being frustrated I am usually surprised or amused by it, most of the time feels like a joke).

In the end, I think that no game should be harder than the best version of its idea demands. I guess I would say that difficulty for the sake of it sucks, rather than it just sucks period. There are tons of games that benefit or even require to be easy in order to fully realize their concepts, but others just demand the right amount of friction. I think, in ideal conditions, difficulty is just the end result of the game you are making, whatever that is, but should never be the objective or the focus of your efforts. If you are just doing "a hard game" with nothing else to back that the game will just be bad.

That said, I only get to experience videogames from the players and the critic's side. Part of me feels bad for having opinions on this because I don't make games, if I did I'm sure my opinions would at the very least be more nuanced, if not completely different.

First of all it‘s okay to have opinions about all this, and good to think about your relationship with games regardless of whether you make them, write about them, or just play them, that’s an integral part of getting deeper into the hobby and something we‘ve always wanted to encourage here! I don’t take anyone's feelings or thoughts on this as less valid because of their job description etc.

It should also be made clear that my "difficulty sucks lol" comment is not an objective one, it's entirely subjective and relevant only to me. Even that "hollow knight is a bad game" thing is meant to indicate that what I think and feel is absolutely not what everybody else feels. But I think the didactic way I tend to say things makes it seem like I'm trying to lay down a rule when really I'm just describing how I personally interact with systems, in case that's useful or of interest to others. But yeah, as the owner of this forum it probably puts me in a weird position of sounding like I'm saying this is how it is, etc.

Which brings me to @wickedcestus comment - the starcraft 1/2 discussion is an interesting one because in both cases the stuff the hardcore players choose to focus on is stuff the designers weren't really doing intentionally (arguably the "smoothing" of 2 was more intentional, but many of the specific ways that would affect competitive play probably weren't).

Starcraft holds a unique position in that its quirks became features due to being new. If there were more good and competitive RTS games out there, would those quirks have become a beautiful dance, or something annoying to players that turns them off the game? It's interesting for me to think about it in the context of the era, and if starcraft 1 had come out today, whether it would have the same splash as when its competition was lower.

I think it's inarguably an incredibly hardcore game at the higher level of play, and it's a game that came out 22 years ago, which makes it a bit of an unusual point of discussion - when a game gains popularity and keeps some measure of it for 22 years, those still playing will invariably become the ones who are mining the depths for more challenge because they want to squeeze every bit of enjoyment out of it.

I absolutely do find it fascinating, as fascinating as I find the folks who found new ways to play and break and reassemble Spelunky simply because there wasn't another Spelunky for them to play. But it may not surprise you to learn that the way spelunky deals with difficulty is also not my cup of tea. I objectively like learning about it, just as I like learning about EVE Online, but I don't want to play either of them.

I think that while my tastes and interests verge toward the hardcore, because I have a thirst for knowledge, I think my playstyle hovers between casual and "mid-core." I don't want to spend hours learning something unless it really engages me and also is respectful of the user's time. And I think that idea of "respect" is very subjective, because to @JoJoestar that respect may manifest as "surprise me" in a souls game. For a literal 5 year old that may be "show me how to hit the A button" in a Nintendo game (owned @chazumaru) ((obviously this is halfway a joke)). That also may be "once your systems are determined as being interesting by the player base, get out of the way" in the case of a Starcraft 1 appreciator.

Difficulty is incredibly subjective and based on the individual's willingness to engage with systems, and in what sorts of ways. The reason it causes so many fights in the necrosoft chat is not because we can't see each others' points, but because, well, I'm the creative director so I wind up dictating the tone which can wind up causing FRICTION in itself, ha ha.

There's more to say but I've got a meeting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Syzygy#6723 Exactly! Dark Souls adds a vector to the difficulty discussion that is “patience,” which is something that many game-likers and players do not have! What makes the game appeal to so many people is that it actively encourages the player to act and think differently than in the average action game.

When Demon's Souls and Dark Souls came out, a lot more players would play for a bit, say it sucks, and give up. But as the zeitgeist and word of mouth spread that the game is "actually good," within a few years almost everyone I knew had picked up the game, including those who had put it down at launch. And with the added patience that they gave to the game purely due to its reputation, a lot of them became big fans! Isn't that something!

I guess when it comes to @exodus 's idea of "respecting a player's time" idea, from my perspective, I often see it the other way around. Namely, whether a player is willing to respect the game enough to engage with it fully enough to grasp the mechanics. There are huge, glaring obvious faults to my way of looking at it, but as a player exclusively, I do think that I need to come to a game _wanting_ to engage with it to find any enjoyment. If I come to it thinking, "Entertain me!" I more often than not end up having a bad time. Obviously, the game has to be good for this to be worthwhile though, so yeah. It's a balancing act. The game-creator and the game-liker working together in perfect symbiosis... I guess it's a beautiful thing.

I think it‘s alright to have opinions (in fact, I don’t really believe we get to choose if we have opinions on something, we just do xD). But I don‘t know, it does feel a bit presumptuous trying to compare or discuss in equal terms when I lack experience in certain fields that I feel are integral to the debate (I think). In any case, that hasn’t stopped me participating so what does that say about me!!!

Difficulty is subjective and also relative to circumstances. I think we can all agree in that, it makes sense. How the game is designed, what genre are we talking about, even what are the players or fans expectations (people get angry when the bar raises or lowers too much from one game to the next in the context of a franchise, for example). This of course makes the discussion incredibly complex and difficult, but at the same time, there sure must be some kind of consensus, right? If everything was so subjective videogames wouldn't be popular or would be incredibly niche, which is the opposite of what happens! If anything, videogames only seem to gain popularity and reach new audiences day after day.

@wickedcestus mention to the conversation revolving around death has made me reconsider if we should really be discussing "difficulty" rather than "punishment". Take for example a very hard Picross puzzle, there is no punishment associated for failing because you can instantly undo your mistakes, but if the puzzle is really hard, it will take a lot of time to be completed. How would we factor this into the discussion? Does this qualify as that friction we have been talking about? If there is no tangible penalty associated for failing the challenge does it count as difficulty?

My intuition tells me that it is, only if it frustrates the player. But this is still interesting because we could turn the conversation into "how and what videogames should do to avoid frustration?", "what do you consider good strategies to keep the player invested?" It is a broader topic and maybe we already have enough on our hands as it is, but I if we keep pulling from that thread, it really feels like psychology, specially pedagogy, which takes care of the teaching and learning angle of the educational process, would have a lot to say here. Sadly I can't contribute much at that level because I only have a background in philosophy, but if someone has something to say on that regard it would be super interesting to hear.

The punishment aspect might more accurately be described as “tension” than “friction.” In JRPGs for example, where losing in a boss fight might cost you hours of time, you are likely to become very emotionally invested in the outcome. Does this make the games better? Most of the time I'd say no, but I can see the argument the other way too. Even in a game like Kaizo Mario or Meat Boy, succeeding or failing on that last jump before the checkpoint gives the same feeling as the JRPG boss just on a different time-scale. Like, “Agh! I have to do that all over again!”

However, in the case of Kaizo, it's more like, "Agh! I have to execute that difficult sequence again!" whereas in JRPGs it's like, "god dang it, gotta run through all those slimes again, and then skip through all that dialogue" lol

I do think the patience point several folks are hitting on is important - I do not have the patience to learn a complex system if I‘m not being rewarded in a way which is compelling to me. the souls games are an excellent example of that (for me) - I do enjoy watching other people try to beat them, but I don’t personally like learning animation delays, perfect rolls and defends, and that sort of thing. It has never been compelling to me unless the rewards were immediately clear, and my playstyle was supported.

So with Asuka 120% for example, that's a game in which attacks cancel each other out, so whoever can chain the most together wins that clash. but maybe you only get one final weak hit in at the end of your combo and the other player is primed to do much more. There are also sidestep and block components to the game, but I don't have to do that if I don't want - my style of "press press press" fighting game strategy is fully supported because offense is defense to a certain degree. It's also a game where I feel like the information I learn by experimenting is valuable, so my patience feels rewarded, where I can muster it.

I'm willing to be patient in Yakuza games because I like the stuff outside combat. I have 100%-ed the cabaret club, real estate, etc in every yakuza (except 3) because I DO have patience for that sort of thing. I'm not patient enough to actually learn the battle system because I don't find engaging with it rewarding at all.

Obviously the souls games were not made for someone like me, because:

>

@wickedcestus#6736 In JRPGs for example, where losing in a boss fight might cost you hours of time, you are likely to become very emotionally invested in the outcome.

This is 100% not true of me. If losing in a boss fight causes me hours of game there are three paths I may take:
1) quit the game forever (most likely)
2) cheat
3) try again 3 years later and then remember why I stopped and return to either 1 or 2.

I know I'm coming from a particular perspective here, but I think it's a perspective that's shared by a lot of people who are interested in fiction and media but not interested in games because of the perceived difficulty, and the initial amount of understanding one needs to even start.

I don't think games should be cakewalks, but take fallout 3 for example. You can play that game like an FPS, or you can play it like an RPG, where you can take your time to choose targets and roll the dice. Both the hardcore and those who are newer to games have an equal ability to enjoy the game, and nobody would say this was pandering to the non-gamer or anything like that.

I think we can make games that respect the player's time and experience while also allowing people to get hardcore into them and learn all the nuances. Well, maybe *I* can't but I'd sure like to be able to.

There also a question, I think, of accepting that it‘s alright to not enjoy certain games. I’m fine with, for example, having abandoned fighting games and high skill ceiling competitive games completely. I used to play Guilty Gear and 3rd Strike a lot in the PS2 era, and I'd like to believe I was half decent. But the time those game demanded of me to keep perfecting my skills became impossible to assume once I started to have obligations and other stuff to do.

I reached a point where I had to choose basically if I wanted to keep being good at fighting games and Counter Strike or playing other videogames and looking for more diverse experiences. Single player games have been, despite everything, the type of game I have always enjoyed the most, so I just dropped those genres. I still enjoy watching tournaments and watching explanations on how their systems work but I'm totally fine with not experiencing them first hand because the cost that would mean to me is too high.

When I see someone getting mad at a videogame (past the heat of the moment) is something I don't really understand because there are so many games, so much stuff to do out there it seems kinda pointless to get frustrated with a specific videogame. I get people being angry or sad at not being able to enjoy a particular thing they wanted to be a part of, but demanding that thing to change in order to accomodate you when there are probably so many other things that are built specifically for you is just strange to me.

I have a weird thing about challenges in that I want to Earn content. If I don‘t get anything for taking the harder path then I likely won’t unless I‘m just in love with the gameplay. But if you give me a morsel of story, some exclusive cutscene or something (this is what i mean by content, not like The Ultimate Weapon for defeating the only thing it’d be useful for) I‘m totally sucked in and love working for it. The harder the better. There’s some weird goofy feeling of “not that many people got to see this” that really gets my motor going, like I'm being allowed in an exclusive club.

my own experience with Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi was of playing it on-and-off casually for multiple years, slowly refining my love of the game, learning routes, studying mechanics, playing all sorts of versions of the game and only liking it more and more. in the end, leading to my first somewhat crummy 1-ALL of the game in a tokyo arcade.

an incredible, dare-i-say magical experience, and one worth sharing with other people through rigorous, rational game design. however, is difficulty even the right way to create this kind of experience? people come to games with their own idea of the experience they want, which is why difficulty selection systems exist and why ppl tend to suggest that games should let players flow through them like water through a pipe if that's what they want.

but if we're talking about how to bring this type of experience to everyone, regardless of skill level or disability or cultural context, difficulty seems like a very silly tool (or intrinsic quality to chase). it seems [b]beyond[/b] unpalatable, but hamster-wheel type mechanics like levelling or daily challenges or battlepasses could probably do this particular job far better.

there are also at least three different types of difficulty present in most games. mechanical difficulty, pressing buttons and executing maneuvers correctly, decision difficulty, which is making the right call after keeping all the game's mechanics and resources in mind, and structural difficulty, which is how much of the game you are expected to play correctly at a given time, the punishment for losing - super meat boy expects you to play a 30-second level correctly, a rhythm game is 2 or 3 minutes, a modern action roguelite in all their often ill-paced nature often verges on an hour or longer. what do these individually accomplish in a given game? many a frustrated gamer would tell you the first and second are good and pure, the third is simply the game wasting your time.

I am not sure if I have anything super meaningful to contribute, but this topic and some of the points brought up in the discussion has inspired some loosely connected thoughts and associations I will now torture you with. I apologize in advance for the somewhat rambling and incoherent structure.

Right of the bat I should clarify that I don't enjoy difficulty all that much in so far as it leads to frustration. What counts as frustrating is of course subjective, but I believe that my threshold for frustration is probably lower than a lot of game-likers when it comes to “friction” in action-games. I'd much rather play a game and think “oh, that was a bit too easy” than become frustrated at a difficult section. This also applies to more strategy-oriented games to some extent, but for those I often find myself somewhat enjoying “challenge” more.

Sometimes I find myself thinking that a game is “too easy”. However, when I think more carefully about it my lack of engagement with the game is usually due to tedium, i.e. it is tedious to perform the same easy action over and over again. On the other hand, if a game is easy, but engaging I rarely have any complaints about it. An example of this is Shining Force 1, which I will talk more about later. I recently played Dragon Quest 5 for the PS2 and while I loved the atmosphere and the story I did grow very bored with the random battles. They were “easy”, but more importantly tedious. Every time I was going through a dungeon I dreaded the random battle as it would be a boring interruption of my play-though. I feel like, say Final Fantasy X, which can also be annoying with random battles, is much less so because while not hard each random battle feels slightly more engaging. On the other hand, I also have to say that random battles as a mechanic is not something I really enjoy anymore, despite liking turn-based battle systems in general and a lot of old JRPGs. Playing Lufia 2 has really shown me how much more engaging the dungeon design of even a classic JRPGs can be without the random battles. But I digress, the topic is difficulty.

Generally the worst type of difficulty, in my opinion is that which wastes the player's time. The archetypical example being a JRPG in which you lose an hour of progress due to inconveniently placed save-points (here DQV is very well-designed in terms of anti-frustration, with you retaining all experience upon death). This is simply frustrating and not fun to me in general. However, weirdly I am in fact currently enjoying a game in which losing progress is possible. Fire Emblem was already brought up and I am currently playing Fire Emblem: Three Houses. @exodus brought up permadeaths in Fire Emblem and intuitively I feel like I should agree with him, as I hate lost progress as punishment. However, after looking around a bit I opted to play FE:3H on “classic” mode and hard difficulty, mostly due to the existence of a rewind feature. So far I am really enjoying the game, however, I do think that this is somewhat contingent on me not having actually experienced a character death I couldn't prevent using the rewind feature. This is largely because “hard mode” is not actually that difficult. The moment I do experience real lost progress, I might very well regret my decision, but so far I am enjoying it and somehow the theoretical danger of death does make me think more carefully about my strategy and I am having more fun engaging with the game. As I said, however, at the moment death is only hypothetical and I think this is all I need – a psychological reason to really engage with the tactics.

The rewind feature has a limited number of uses for each battle which ups the tension, but I'm actually not sure such a limit is required to make the game fun, although I know many hardcore fans would balk at this idea. Allowing you to rewind time freely to when you made a mistake as many times as you want doesn't seem to negate the core fun of the game, which is puzzling out the strategy that will allow you to win without death. It will just allow you to do this faster and more efficiently. I may be wrong, however, and it might lead to blind trial-and-error and less careful play since you know you can always undo mistakes and you therefore don't have the psychological pressure of consequences which is currently forcing me to engage carefully with the battle system.

On the other hand I played the original Shining Force sometime last year which is essentially the exact opposite. SF1 has very lenient character deaths, to the point that the game is sort of balanced around you losing battles in order to gain experience. This is because a loss allows you to still retain any experience gained in the battle. In some way I feel this is quite nice as it means you never waste your time and if you are ever stuck on a battle you can simply play it again and again until your characters become stronger. Compare this with FE:3H where there is a limited number of battles you can do and this is another axis on which SF1 is a lot easier, one can simply grind more. However, the thing is SF1 is still a very fun and engaging game with a nice core battle system and I don't think adding permadeath would improve it, in fact it would require a recalibration of the entire system. Also, l I think I will probably have a problem with the older FE games that essentially require you to start over if a single character dies in battle, the rewind feature really helps alleviate the frustrating part of the permadeath mechanic which I do enjoy in FE:3H.

Generally I have a higher tolerance for system complexity, especially if said systems are not related to tests of dexterity. I tend to bounce of games that want me to engage with very specific timings and learning quick reactions. On the other hand it is also possible for complexity to become obtuse. At some point I decided that I would probably enjoy Paradox games and I sat down to play Europa Universalis 4. I bounced of it hard. About a year later I decided to give it another try, this time watching 4 hours of explanatory youtube videos going into the various systems and how they interconnect. I then enjoyed the game for perhaps 2-4 playthroughs as different countries netting me around around 60 hours of content. I have not gone back since, however, as I felt like I essentially understood the strategies and started to find the game tedious. I know that many people enjoy these games for hundreds of hours, but for me once I played a few games it lost its allure. 60 hours is actually much more time than I spend on most games, but I have to ask, was it really worth spending 4 hours learning it? Not really. At the same time I wouldn't say that the game was too difficult, it was just too complex for what it ultimately offered.

As I said I enjoy complex interlocking systems, but one danger of these is that once you realize the optimal play-style you end end up doing the same every time, which is sort of what happened with EUIV for me. This is of course very common in RPGs which has a large degree of customization, such as the aforementioned FE:3H or say an action RPG like Grim Dawn, where the need to optimize the complex system is likely to lead many (including myself in some cases) towards looking up optimal classes, combinations etc. and then essentially following those guidelines, which renders the complexity moot. You have the illusion of complexity, but it's really just window-dressing if you don't actively plan out everything yourself. This is compounded by some games not giving you the necessary information to plan things out, which means that you have to utilize external sources. In FE:3H the games doesn't actually tell you what skills are granted by mastering different classes for example, information that is essential for planning your progression path.

I don't understand why this information is hidden in the game as it seemingly serves no purpose, aside from perhaps a sense of mystery/surprise. Obviously hidden information can be an important aspect of game design, but in this case I don't see the point as this mystery is less interesting than planning the character growth paths carefully. As it therefore incentivises one to engage with external information sources it raises the likelihood of a player simply deciding to check the internet for the “optimal” choices. Now, I actually enjoy the systems in FE:3H, I find that doing the battles while considering the various progression systems is fun and makes the battles slightly more engaging, it's just a shame that I have to use external sources to fully enjoy those systems. Shining Force 1 is the opposite, in that you have absolutely no choice over your characters progression, although you do have the choice to use specific characters that fulfill specific roles. You can also promote your unit once it reaches level 10 (there is some weird optimization one can do with respect to when to promote which is not explained in the game, but it is not necessary and not a core aspect of the gameplay). This takes away many layers of complexity, but the game is still fun as I enjoy the battles themselves. Would it be more fun to have a complex progression system? Maybe, but it is not necessary and I think it would interfere with the pace of the game. In FE:3H a lot of time is spent mulling over character stats and doing various task in between battles. In SF1 on the other hand, the pacing is very nice with short story segments that serve as breathers between each battle. Together a story segment and a battle essentially feels like a chapter in a book and adding more complexity to an aspect of the game would destroy this sense of pacing. Also, I actually finished SF1 because it was short and sweet. While I am currently enjoying FE:3H there is no guarantee that I will not become bored before I reach the end as it seems to be a very long game.

In summary, I guess complexity can be both good and bad, but it is definitely the type of “difficulty” that I find the most fun, even though it isn't necessarily difficult in the strictest sense of the word.

My short reply to this is I feel like playing Shining Force again.

…2. Y’all feel like playing Shining Force 2 again. I am glad I caught that typo.

I just finished **A Short Hike**. It’s a lovely game. Parallels with Animal Crossing are obvious so I understand why this connection has been brought up so often, but it reminds me moreso of Lovedelic / Vanpool games and similar experimental slice-of-life games from the PlayStation era. The game’s approach to challenge reminded me of this topic.

I worry that challenge in games gets a bit too hastily opposed to « narrative experience », as if the goal to make games easier was mainly to not disrupt the flow of a story being told. I don’t think the point of A Short Hike is its story and (charming) dialogues but rather to immerse the player in an overall peaceful mood and rouse a sense of contained exploration with a streamlined progression mechanic and simple trading principles.

Speaking of which, it’s interesting that arguably this year’s defining console game, **Animal Crossing: New Horizons**, has pretty much zero concern about challenge. The audience for this kind of game is clearly underserved.

Trust me, I‘m very much looking forwards to playing Shining Force 2 in the future as most peole seem to think it is even better than the original. I’m saving it for a little while yet, though!

Well this thread has arrived at pretty much the exact right time for me! Thanks to all for the generous contributions in here which are helping me to figure out how I feel about this.

One thing I've been thinking of a lot is that I can't really get down with games of yore that don't build in any sort of continue, save, warp or password system to allow you to pick up where you left off if you die or run out of continues. It's such a horrible feeling in the modern era to die near the end of a game and have to start all the way back at the beginning. I've NEVER beaten Sonic 2 despite it being one of the like 4 games I owned as a child. I played through it a few months ago and got to the final boss, only to hemorrhage lives and continues and be presented with the title screen because I literally couldn't figure out how to damage the boss. What a horrible feeling! So I want to penalize games that didn't have the foresight or generosity to build in any type of save or unlimited continue system, when it was technically possible to do so. Or rather, I want to give games a boost that deigned to do so. I recently bought the Thunder Force IV port for Switch and am playing it for the first time. Shooters are a blind spot for me. I'm just getting annihilated nearly instantly. I get that there were the economics of an arcade game as a business that needed to be considered when making it, but it's hard for me to laud it just because of how hard it is, no generosity/friendliness for the player, despite the graphics and feeling of movement when you hold UP to soar all the way up to the top of the level being an extreme hell yeah. Even Alien Soldier put in an unlimited continue system. For me, Thunder Force IV can't be a "good" game, no matter how good it looks and feels, because the consideration for the player just isn't there.

At the opposite end of the spectrum from Thunder Force, I've noticed, is like a Final Fantasy VIII. I've been checking out the remaster for Switch. It's insane how badly balanced it is, somehow worse than Final Fantasy VII, random battles where enemies literally do like 18 damage to you when you have 3000 HP. A feeling of utter pointlessness and sense that I'm wasting my time.

So as other people have already said, for a certain type of game, say an "action" game, the challenge is there to give weight to players' moment-to-moment decisions. When the player fails to meet the challenges presented, the designer must decide whether the player gets another chance, and under what circumstances. And traditionally, we see this expressed in a continue or save system. AND, further, I think we can say that assessing the balance between the difficulty and the continue/save system gives us a good view into whether the game is, on the whole, fun. I'm sure to some that's oversimplifying, but that's typically where I start. Games with high difficulty and no opportunity to try again, to me, can't be fun. The payoff for finally succeeding cannot outweigh the frustration of failing over and over. Games with low difficulty and plenty of opportunities to try again can't be fun because there's no weight to the gameplay. The best action games strike the right balance.

There was tremendous weight to that final boss in Sonic 2, I was on the edge of my seat, literally sweating, but when I lost, the feeling was way worse than any sense of triumph I might get from eventually beating it. That's as an adult playing it in 2020. Conversely, to make the easy comparison, I think Mario has consistently gotten the balance mostly right over the years. And I'm saying this as someone who only had a Genesis and didn't play Mario as a child because I didn't have an NES or Super NES. Extra lives in Mario 3 are much more plentiful than in, say, Sonic 1, and there's a warp system to allow you to go right to the levels you're struggling with. Super Mario World's save/continue system is good if kinda inelegant. You just go back a few levels when you run out of lives.

The best "hard game"-type experience I've had is probably Hyper Light Drifter. The actual combat is definitely "hard," in that most players will die over and over throughout the game, but it just deposits you back at the start of the encounter nearly always. The end result is that you begin to pick the encounters apart, like a puzzle. The encounters become way more like a non-game "puzzle," like a Rubik's cube or something, than any Zelda puzzle. This is because you have a specific challenge in front of you, kill all the enemies, and have a limited set of tools to reach the solution -- dash, hit enemy, shoot gun, be able to get hit 3-4 times before dying -- and it's on you to figure out how to best apportion those. So I start to evolve a strategy. OK I'm going to run in the room and unload my pistol on the enemy who immediately starts shooting at me in the corner. Then I'm going dodge because at this point the big plant monster has charged at me. Then I have time to hold down the button for my charge attack and decapitate the three little dudes who come at me. Then it's just me and the big plant monster. As an example. When I die I figure out what didn't work and think about how to better make use of my tools. When I succeed it's because the creative solution I evolved was enough to surmount the challenge. That's satisfying and it's made possible because the right balance has been struck between dying and being able to continue.

However, I think it's possible to ding Hyper Light Drifter because the repeated deaths aren't really explained by the game world. Dark Souls explains repeated deaths with the little story note that your character is "undead" and can never "die" in the traditional sense. That's cool I guess, actually pretty contrived in a vacuum, but what's much more interesting to me is that repeated deaths are one of the mechanics used to deliver the game's story, lore, whatever. To me this is paramount to what makes it such a compelling game. The world in Dark Souls is so bleak, so awful. When you're in The Depths and the horrible butcher enemy wearing a bloodstained bag on their head crushes/slices you in half with their huge blade, you instantly die, because what else would happen? That's lore, that's story, in action. That's amazing to me, even if I don't actually like the experience of playing Dark Souls that much because I'm bad at games and it's just too hard for me. It's fascinating to me that Hidetaka Miyazaki says he didn't really play games growing up because his family couldn't afford them. To me that suggests that the extreme difficulty of Dark Souls isn't a nod to old, hard action games, as it's often portrayed in the gaming press, but merely a desire to make the gameplay consistent with the game world. It's the rational choice to make when designing an extremely dark fantasy world. There's a fundamental incongruence between the tremendous effort modern games often expend via cinematics and dialogue on making an enemy character seem "strong," and being able to defeat that enemy on the first try.

I think Suikoden II really nails difficulty in almost every aspect. Random battles don't present a challenge and are more of a puzzle in that the battle system, which plays extremely fast anyway, offers you various tools to clear the enemy encounter quickly, and it's on you to figure out how best to do that. Most encounters can be cleared within 1-2 rounds if approached properly. It's all successfully explained by the fact that by the midpoint of the game, the story is telling you you're Very Strong, and so are the people you're traveling with. It makes sense that you're able to easily dispatch most enemies. Conversely, the main antagonist of the game is portrayed as being Very Tough, and when you actually face him, he is. You're only able to defeat him by taking him by surprise, forming three separate parties that ambush him each time he tries to run, and then you still have to duel him one-on-one, where despite him having a visible HP bar that is like 2/3 gone, many players still die. When you finally beat him, everyone in the story assumes It's Over. You beat the hard bad guy and it should be. All the characters end up really surprised when it's not, because it's a game about the bullshit reasons wars start and how they affect normal people. That's storytelling to me. That's using the medium of a game, and game design, game difficulty, to do something very powerful with narrative. But I'm digressing :P

I want to say something about Animal Crossing. I've never connected with an AC game despite multiple attempts. For me the various tasks, chopping down trees, fishing, whatever, are too easily reduced to going up to stuff and pressing the action button. The illusion of the game just doesn't work for me. Of course, many, many games can be reduced to just pressing the action button at the right time. That's all we're really doing. But I guess what I'm learning is that, for me personally, the good action games successfully hide that behind building some challenge into that process. I sort of feel lost because I've had to admit as an adult that I'm actually just not very good at games. I can't play competitive FPS games. I can't react fast enough, it takes me forever to memorize control schemes, I probably experience more frustration than most people because it takes me so long to learn.

Thunder Force and other shooters are really about learning and pattern recognition, which is why they tend to be so punishing - if learning a pattern and getting that muscle memory isn‘t an enjoyable process, most of the genre won’t work for you. Try out Mars Matrix and R-Type Final and see two different approaches to teaching you this, with mars matrix being the “squishier” one.

The goal of most shooters is learning to be as close to perfect as possible, to actually embody that pilot that could take on the whole universe by themselves. This won't help you enjoy the game, but that's where it's coming from, anyway, and it's a pretty understandable perspective even if it doesn't appeal to everybody.

Yeah. The game is really fun, just can't imagine getting good enough to play all the way through on just the 5 lives they give you. Hopefully there are shooters out there that are accessible for noobs too