Ep. 212 - This Game Is Legal Grounds for Divorce

i feel like I should attempt learning Esperanto now

I may have missed something but is Tim back on the podcast for good? Or is it just for a few episodes?

Also this was a good one, lots of energy and interesting topics. I listened to the first half while cooking tortellini and sauce, then the second while burning the midnight oil setting up some code

@“beets”#p49577 with the addendum that the future is unknowable and uncontrollable, yes, tim is back on the show as a regular panelist.

we’re still figuring out how/if we wanna do guests. personally i hosted a podcast for a few years that had five people (four plus a guest) every episode!! it was fine. but then again, I sure ain’t still doing that podcast lol

Big ups to Jaffe for mentioning Final Fantasy Tactics Advance being his preference over the first Final Fantasy Tactics. That game owns, IMO!!!

RE: Workout mixtape video game jams, my actual IRL running playlist starts with this song before I set it to shuffle:

https://youtu.be/gyjE1qIPohA

I have a fav online experience many people probably wouldn‘t think of since a lot of people don’t realise most of Naughty Dog's games from the last 2 years have (pretty good!) online components attached…but I had this gag on Uncharted 2 where on some of the 5 on 5 deathmatch maps they would start off your team in a little room so I would run straight to the door and block it, turn around and blow my team a kiss with my taunt and drop a grenade and blow up the entire team.

At first I did this every now and then just cos I thought it was funny (2010 #gaming), but I quickly realised this also had a strategic advantage since the team would then spawn the entire team somewhere away from the other team so we'd be rushing them from a direction they wouldn't be expecting. So I kept doing it on those maps which intentionally invented a game within the game, since although you could blow up your own team with grenades the game would automatically kick you if you blew up the same teammate twice so I had to be extra careful using them in shootouts in case an over excitable teammate ran in on someone I was trying to flush out. Also, as it was 2010 #gaming some people would take getting blown up personally and try to blow me up back, so I also had to watch out for my own team...and if I was on a team where there were bros on mics saying what I will generously decide as "bro stuff" I would make a minigame out of trying to antagonise them into killing me twice so they would get kicked. Lot of games within games in that one!

I have great memories of Uncharted 2's multiplayer to the point where I still occasionally mess around with Uncharted 4's multiplayer despite it not being nearly as good...but I doubt my experience with it reflects what most normal people had with it lol

>

8, Make a workout mixtape entirely from video game music (44:51)

_Test Your Might..._
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAwWPadFsOA

>

@“esper”#p49579 we’re still figuring out how/if we wanna do guests. personally i hosted a podcast for a few years that had five people (four plus a guest) every episode!! it was fine. but then again, I sure ain’t still doing that podcast lol

I think to get a comprehensive answer on this question, we ought to survey the section of listeners that a sudden and protracted dearth in guests coming on to the podcast would effect most--hardcore fans of _Sensible World of Soccer,_

Okay but for real, I don‘t know how the hell you and also the regular guests managed to schedule so many goddamn guest episodes, looking back since the beginning of Tim’s hiatus I'm shocked at the consistency with which there were guests. Bravo to everyone involved in accomplishing that, and please do take as long a break as you all want from having guests.

Though, I do hope that there will continue to be guests, as schedules permit. If I remember correctly the pace of guests every second episode was proposed after the first What Is Wrong With Videogames Spectacular, as a means to ensure that there was some breaking up of the unbroken white dudeliness of the podcast panel (which is still a worthwhile reason to bring on guests with some regularity (although, and I say this knowing that if it _weren't_ true it would go to someone's head, I don't think Insert Credit has ever really been a White Dude Podcast if you know what I mean (and at the same time it can honestly more counterproductive than I think is often talked about to do it out of a feeling of obligation (I guess I got complex thoughts about this^1^)))), but that was still probably pretty tough week in week out.

So, I did make a dumb in-joke about it, but I do hope that guests do keep appearing. Every second week seems strenuous even as someone very pro-regular guest appearances, but I do hope that it happens as often as schedules permit and as much as you all enjoy doing it. This is especially true for the regular guests who I think absolutely managed to establish an ongoing presence on the show. As well, knowing there's a non-negligible chance he'll read this I'll say without reservation I like what Matthew Kumar brings to the show a lot.

^1^ - With confidence that present company will know themselves to be where there are in this dynamic even if I didn't explicitly say so, I think when it comes to the activity of mandating diversity, the benefits of doing so seems to be least needed where it is done well, and where the benefits of doing so are sorely needed, well, it either just doesn't happen or when it does it's awful. That's just pointless and way more alienating to the person, let's call it what it is, being tokenized, than anyone with the sorts of good intentions that often result in someone being tokenized ever begin to understand.

So, like, the podcast having people who ain't white nor dudes nor either white or dudes on the show has undoubtedly enriched it, but like, was it a necessary thing to do in order to address some festering, underlying problem or lack with it? I don't think so, which is actually ideal really, like, part of what I meant about Insert Credit not ever being a White Dude Podcast is that you didn't have to be forced to perform basic empathy by the mandated presence of The Other (which according to workshops and teach-ins and the like is supposed to sink in over time, but I have my doubts about that). So, I guess as an extra compliment towards the many guests that have been on the show, at least from a listener's perspective I didn't get the sense that anyone was being tokenized, and I genuinely hope that no one who has been on the show felt that way.

I dunno, just in case I‘m coming off more flippant than I intend to, if this looks like I’m saying “oh you guys are some of the good ones,” well, I'm both saying that and not saying that.

In the sense that I'm saying it because I think it's true, like, it's true that that means everyone is meeting a reasonable standard of social goodness and wellbeing. But as well, I would be lying if I said that it doesn't make me happy, and mean that when I listen to the podcast or come on here to post my nonsense, I feel safe doing so.

But it's also not true in the sense that, you know, don't tell any of the other White Dudes who haven't yet met that aforementioned reasonable standard of social goodness and wellbeing, but even people who could be described as white and dudes probably have a whole lot more going on in their totality than that to begin with. Like, it's ironic because the argument that radical attitudes towards race, gender, etc., are bad because they reduce people to labels, this is really more like people ignorantly or willingly refusing to see the forest for the trees, and getting hung up on the most basic introductory lesson on those issues, and ignoring that, you know, the point of saying that is to point out how reductive and dehumanizing those _concepts_ are. White Dudes are white dudes who just cannot get over how they're White Dudes and expect to be treated as such and mostly just resent the wrong people pointing that fact out, so, yeah, that's at least some of what I meant by Insert Credit just not being a White Dude Podcast to begin with.

I 100% want to keep having guests, but also Tim!! There are a couple of reasonable ways to do it I think, from adding a bit of time to each question to accomodate to 5 people, to inviting the fifth person every other week (or with any other periodicity you find convenient). Old programs where you invited someone and Tim was still there worked well too, so yeah.

Tim is dead on with the Wangan Midnight OST for a workout mix. I‘ve done this before, It’s perfect for running.

>

@“Gaagaagiins”#p49623 Okay but for real, I don’t know how the hell you and also the regular guests managed to schedule so many goddamn guest episodes, looking back since the beginning of Tim’s hiatus I’m shocked at the consistency with which there were guests. Bravo to everyone involved in accomplishing that, and please do take as long a break as you all want from having guests.

That's pretty much all on Brandon! I made a few suggestions here and there and did book the last two when he needed a break, but 98% of all that coordination was him. He did some incredible work bringing people on board, and truly created a special time in the life of the show.

Also, now I'm actual friends with Ash Parrish, and Gita Jackson follows me on Twitter. So that's a big win for me personally.

Usually One Day Early isn‘t really a big deal for me since I probably don’t listen to the episode right away, but on the rare occasion I do take advantage of the Patreon bonus and listen before others can, I‘m usually just mildly disappointed I can’t discuss the episode on the forum right away. So yeah I say give it to everyone at the same time it doesn't bother me.

My favourite flavour text is the text that says “It's you” in the mirror in undertale and the one at the end that says >!“After all this time it's still you”!<

not to mention the one in deltarune chapter 2

Demon conversations in SMT games seem pretty close to flavor text. I like them, although usually more for how awkward they can be.

We will definitely find a way to still have guests sometimes! We have a few ideas - for the next few episodes I think we will settle back into the groove, and then see what form it takes!

>

@“thebryanjzx90”#p49628 Usually One Day Early isn’t really a big deal for me since I probably don’t listen to the episode right away, but on the rare occasion I do take advantage of the Patreon bonus and listen before others can, I’m usually just mildly disappointed I can’t discuss the episode on the forum right away. So yeah I say give it to everyone at the same time it doesn’t bother me.

As I said earlier, please let's get rid of the one day early nonse and give that extra day to Esper and the boys to rest!

Or simply re-frame the issue by telling non-patrons they’re receiving the podcast one day late.

The best online multiplayer experience I had was with Journey. Basically I didn't know the other character was a real person and it was so cool to slowly figure that out over the course of the game

>

@“exodus”#p49633 We have a few ideas - for the next few episodes I think we will settle back into the groove, and then see what form it takes!

INSERT CREDIT: HOME FOR HANUKKAH ARC (chag Hanukkah sameach to all who observe)