Ep. 241 - Octoplath Traveler, with Allegra Frank

Here, have a bit of insight into esper's editing process!

https://twitter.com/EsperControl/status/1539246763776675840?s=19

If you think we‘ve become sharper, more respectful, and developed better comic timing since the podcast came back from hiatus… we haven’t!! That's all @espercontrol, baby!

this podcast has depth at the frank position

@“exodus”#p75029 Holy shit, I didn‘t know that the raw product was that unlistenable…………. I mean I knew separate local audio capture of a single conversation occurring online had its issues but the raw recording makes me want to whup my phone out of the nearest window, and I didn’teven listen to it on my phone!!

@espercontrol The show is always excellent sounding! Thank you esper!!!!!!!!!!

@“Gaagaagiins”#p75081 it‘s not always that bad, esper chose a rough zone! We don’t alllllways talk over each other. (though we do sometimes)

@“exodus”#p75029 Turns out that the editing is so good, it‘s impossible for me to think of this version as ’the original' - this must surely be a foul corruption. Good job Esper!

(Edit: How about some Bonus Credit that is edited to feel super-awkward? Massive pauses followed by everyone talking at once. Ten seconds of people just clearing their throats and drinking their beverages. Jaffe jokes delivered to dead silence. I'm an awful person!!)

Joining in the chorus to just express my appreciation for @espercontrol . You are doing great work!

>

@“Salloumi”#p75093 How about some Bonus Credit that is edited to feel super-awkward? Massive pauses followed by everyone talking at once. Ten seconds of people just clearing their throats and drinking their beverages. Jaffe jokes delivered to dead silence.

![](https://miro.medium.com/max/490/1*83JrA5w306gphEp8RCoYow.png)

The super secret difficulty below the Nightmare setting is Improv Zone!

“Don‘t call yourself a flexitarian, you’re just a guy at that point, bro” has to be my new favourite quote. <3

Also I just wanted to thank everyone, the last couple of shows were absolutely amazing and sounded incredible. I just saw the video on twitter about how much work it is to make it sound that good. You're a beast, Esper!

Cheers from Switzerland and have a lovely day / evening / whatever time it is at your place.

Now I’m imagining a full bizarro episode with (other) Alex Jaffe hosting and Allegra returning in the Frank position. Brandon and Tim are, admittedly, irreplaceable, but there’s gotta be some candidates out there.

@“kory”#p75111 unfortunately there are no other good brandons and precious few sheffields in general. I think to replace me we would need to get Charles Shaughnessy, Mr. Sheffield from The Nanny, who has done voice acting in at least 7 video games.

Great episode! Allegra is an excellent guest!

>

@“vlct”#p75108 “Don’t call yourself a flexitarian, you’re just a guy at that point, bro” has to be my new favourite quote. <3

Tell me you're an omnivore without admitting to me or even yourself that you're an omnivore.

@“antillese”#p75134 me? I am vegan, but whatever you say.

>

@“vlct”#p75150 me? I am vegan, but whatever you say.

I could be wrong and they can speak for themselves, but I don't believe that @"antillese"#59 was directing that "don't tell me you're an omnivore" line at you personally. I think they were rather rephrasing Tim's sentiment in their own words, also addressing the hypothetical person who would say they're a flexitarian.

I can definitely see how you would interpret that as a somewhat hostile comment, but I imagine @"antillese"#59 won't have an issue clarifying what they meant.

@“Gaagaagiins”#p75081 Heard this before. Social media tend to suck for a lot of things, but seeing how @espercontrol works and seeing the whole process is a wonder to see (and hear).

@“vlct”#p75150 I interpreted this the same way as @“Gaagaagiins”#p75153. I think it was “one-upping” and agreeing with your statement rather than calling you out for something!

@“exodus”#p75165 ah, my bad! I was not quite sure what to make of it and as non-native speaker, sometimes nuances get lost in translation. I am sorry for my reaction, I did not want to be rude or offend anyone.

Thanks Gaagaagiins and Brandon for the clarification and again sorry Antillese for the misunderstanding!

@“vlct”#p75150 Hey hi - I absolutely did not mean to single you out. It was a general agreement with Tim‘s sentiment phrased in a similar way to a meme I see on English language social media. The framing is "Tell me you’re a {something} without telling me you‘re a {something}." So I was making a joke about someone using a fancier word to try to save face with someone who doesn’t eat meat without having to admit to that person that they do in fact eat meat.

I didn't know you were vegan and even if I did, making a crack about people who choose to eat vegan isn't exactly going to fly here. I hope my posting history and participation on the forum will back me up on this.

Also - don't ever feel bad about "calling someone out" on Insert Credit. Most of the time it is a misunderstanding with comedic intent (as what happened here), or the fact that we have a lot of non-native or non-English-first speakers who are communicating in... English (also what happened here!)! Nine times out of ten, someone explains what they mean and we all learn a bit about different cultures and there are no hard feelings. One time out of ten, someone has doubled down on bad behavior and they got banned. Either way, it was a positive outcome for the forum!

@“exodus”#p75029 I love seeing this because it gives me a little peak into the power of audio editing. My only other experience is being in the editing bay with someone while we mixed audio levels in student films. I find this stuff fascinating. This reel does such a good job of showing the skill and power of your work, esper!