Ep. 335 - Cyber the Hedgehog

Ep. 335 - Cyber the Hedgehog

Our beloved panelists guide you through new developments in CRT photo taking, an all-clown Fallout vault, and Keanu Reeves as Shadow. Hosted by Alex Jaffe, with Frank Cifaldi, Tim Rogers, and Brandon Sheffield. Edited by Esper Quinn, original music by Kurt Feldman.

Questions this week:

1. What’s a feature you appreciate in text-heavy games? (00:42)
  2. Frank, how do you achieve the perfect visual representation of what a video game looks like on a CRT? (09:32)
  3. Can we nail down a definition for “easter egg?” (15:29)
  4. Design a Fallout vault. (21:30)
    Insert Credit Quick Break: Project 9452, a Texas State trans gaming research study (29:05)
  5. Isaac asks: What video game character would you most want to carry around as a Tamagotchi-style virtual pet, and what would their on-device mini games be like? (31:26)
  6. When should one consider or avoid early access? (37:52)
  7. Keanu Reeves is gonna be Shadow, isn’t that cool? (46:46)

LIGHTNING ROUND: Unpopular Demand (52:28)

Recommendations and Outro (01:06:48)

Discuss this episode in the Insert Credit Forums

A SMALL SELECTION OF THINGS REFERENCED:

Recommendations:

Frank: That Fallout show is pretty good

Brandon: Go to events curated for old people, Bob James - Jazz Hands

This week’s Insert Credit Show is brought to you by Project 9452, a Texas State trans gaming research study, and patrons like you. Thank you.

Subscribe: RSS, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, and more!

7 Likes

This episode seems to have been made available around twenty-four hours ahead of its expected time of release.

19 Likes

Well it’s not downloading with my podcast app. Our mystery persists.

Twenty-four hours ahead of its expected time of release?!

29 Likes

I’m already listening you can’t stop me

3 Likes

Tim is misremembering that scene from Avengers. You don’t see that dude playing Galaga in the background at all when Robert Downey Jr. points it out. I believe it was an improv line. They added the shot of the guy nervously looking around before reopening his Galaga window at the end as a punchline. But it’s never a blink-and-you-miss-it background thing the viewer has to actively look for. I’m duty-bound to report this as a member of the Correcting People About Movies I Don’t Really Care About Police

11 Likes

I would never have known! Those movies Do Not Exist to me :3

7 Likes

screenshot looks good :)

2 Likes

it has subtleties

1 Like

Sorry, I’m still on CDs too. :pensive:

2 Likes

Any time a game uses a generic/default font, I can’t help but think of it more as a student project or prototype instead of a Real Video Game. Most recently this happened with the game Paper Lily, which I’m pretty sure just uses white Arial.

2 Likes

Philippino VHS Tape VCD

3 Likes

Most of my vcds are from Hong Kong (some are from mainland China, some from Korea)

1 Like

“we’re going to the pictures,” “we went to the pictures to see Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within” is what we used to call going to the cinema. at some point it switched to “cinema” but lately i’ve been trying to bring back “the pictures.” “oh yeah i saw that film at the pictures.”

7 Likes

“The pictures” is pretty common in Scotland, but so are alcoholism and knife crime.

14 Likes

In a text heavy game, I just want to be able to press some buttons. I like in Phoenix Wright how you can usually use like a shortcut by just using a face button if you don’t want to click, e.g. hit the y button to present evidence instead of tapping present. It’s been a while so forgive me if I am incorrect on the specific details here, but I just like to feel like there was some intention in how I could quickly move around the menus in a way that becomes second nature the same way playing an action game does. For another example, Persona 5 is a turn based RPG but those battle menus are so clean not just because of the crazy text but because each face button corresponds to a different submenu in combat. That just feels so nice compared to going up and down rows of menu options all the time.

6 Likes

In a text heavy game, I like being able to use other buttons to advance text in addition to A or the equivalent. Specifically, I like an L button so I can have my right hand free for snacks or whatever. Some Pokemons and Dragon Quests do this, and in the Pokemons you can have L just mirror A so you can initiate dialogues and navigate menus mostly one handed.

7 Likes

One-handed gaming is a great feature to have when you want to hang back and relax with a game. NOT THAT WAY!

Well I am buy-frank-lewd-mags, I can’t escape my reputation.

6 Likes

Brings to mind the classic Game Girl Advance article about the Trance Vibrator.

6 Likes