Ep. 341 - Nixon Babies

Ep. 341 - Nixon Babies

Frank Cifaldi, Tim Rogers and Brandon Sheffield cover the best of Sunsoft’s Looney Tunes games, soundtracks for emotions and driving, and 256-bit consoles. Hosted by Alex Jaffe, with Frank Cifaldi, Tim Rogers, and Brandon Sheffield. Edited by Esper Quinn, original music by Kurt Feldman.

Questions this week:

1. Brandon asks: When do you feel like a video game was made for you? (06:19)
  2. Should we rank the Sunsoft Looney Tunes games? (13:21)
  3. What are the most common lies told in the video game industry? (NOTE: This segment contains MAJOR spoilers for Avengers: Endgame (2019)) (16:28)
  4. What are the best video game tracks to listen to after a breakup? (22:46)
  5. Magnanimous asks: If you could double any number in video games, what would it be? (28:46)
  6. What do you look for while the credits are rolling on a video game? (34:50)
  7. What is the memorizing all state capitals of video games? (41:10)

LIGHTNING ROUND: Name Design - Kentucky Derby Winners (49:19)

Recommendations and Outro (57:24)

A SMALL SELECTION OF THINGS REFERENCED:

Recommendations:
Frank: Arzette: The Jewel of Faramore, Ufouria: The Saga 2, open Moon Crystal on your MiSTer and turn on cheats for infinite lives
Brandon: Crow Country, We Never Stop
Tim: Interview with the Vampire, the best show on television
Jaffe: the first season of Lynda Carter’s Wonder Woman

This week’s Insert Credit Show is brought to you by patrons like you. Thank you.

Subscribe: RSS, Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, and more!

9 Likes

Great episode, with a great answer to question two!

Nice addition of the music for when you’re dumped or the dumpee @esper =)

7 Likes

I also immediately thought “old taito arcade game” for baden baden

2 Likes

I love when a topic starts and you can just feel them ramping up to the episode title.

When tim shouted “production baby!” During the credits question my ears shot up like a dog

5 Likes

It might not be the first time I’ve ever pulled an all-nighter playing a game, but the earliest standout to me is playing Metroid Prime 2: Echoes in college overnight, around about the point you get to the underwater section in Torvus with the remixed Lower Brinstar theme. I think I must have played the game already and was then fixated on unlocking all the art galleries, because I thought they were really cool and I was really into the lead concept artist’s work at the time, and that necessitated—for those not familiar with how the Prime games work—scanning every inch of the game’s environment without missing anything.

7 Likes

After a breakup the best thing to do is let it all out, therefore:

13 Likes

A friend and I (both of us Canadian) once sat down to try and name all the states, and the one state we had to look up.....................was Indiana, sorry Tim if you’re reading this.

7 Likes

“This is not an ‘intimacy’ time in your life - might be time to crank it.”

• Frank Cifaldi, 2024
17 Likes

This episode made me realize that I need to learn the rest of the state nicknames. Calling Delaware the first state whenever it comes up in conversation is only the tip of the iceberg. I’m really only having 2% of the total fun that I could be having with this.

Also demon spawn is hilarious.

5 Likes

I have no idea what the first game I stayed up all night playing was, unfortunately. My most iconic childhood memory of a gaming binge was when my friend came over for a sleepover and we played the original Kingdom Hearts from lunch time until 2-3 AM, taking turns on the controller.

To try to answer the question correctly, it was probably an RPG because that’s what I still stay up late playing. Maybe the first Knights of the Old Republic. Answering like Brandon, the LAST time I did it was for Final Fantasy XIV back when I picked it up on a free trial in 2021. I had a week off of work and accidentally played until 4:30 or something, slept for 4-5 hours, and hopped back on.

4 Likes

I could say with a high degree of certainty that the first game I stayed up all night playing was like, my fifth, sixth, seventh play of Skies of Arcadia: Legends. Between the ages of about 15-18 I’d visit a buddy of mine who lived in one of the most isolated parts of the country and we’d play videogames virtually non-stop because there was nothing to do there and his parents just didn’t give a shit about pretty much anything we did as long as it wasn’t hijack a tractor or something. I recall seeing the sun come up about 75% into the game and feeling pretty terrible because I had barely moved in 24 hours.

6 Likes

Captain Tsubasa III on the Super Famicom is the 1st time I remember staying up all night playing a game. But I know I must have done it a couple of times earlier in my life.

4 Likes

This was a fun surprise to wake up to! You guys came up with some good answers, I tried to make it a broad question to see what direction you would take it. (I also would have accepted more esoteric answers like “double the length of the MGS3 ladder” or “double the number of people who bought a Dreamcast”.)

My most embarrassing all-nighter was Bioshock Infinite, the day that it came out… The sun was coming up just as I was realizing it’s not a very good game.

4 Likes

i listened to this episode this morning (~7 hours ago) and i just realized that “production baby” is not an official title for someone on the production/development team.

…i wasn’t even confused when listening…

4 Likes

i’m 90% sure my first time staying up all night playing video games would have been one of Miles Griffo’s birthday parties in elementary school. It’d be me and like seven other kids, and memorable games were Whatever Wrestling Game Existed At The Time (possibly WCW Nitro) and Whatever Tekken Existed At The Time (3, Tag, I think we had mostly moved on by the time 4 came out)

6 Likes

in middle school i wasn’t allowed to use the XBOX past like 9 PM (and at all during the week iirc), so I would wait til my parents fell asleep and play nazi zombies from like midnight to 5am every night and it got so bad my teachers would ask if i was malnourished.

9 Likes

it was my misunderstanding but i’m still gettin’ a kick out of the notion of crankin’ it to the EarthBound shop theme.

the first game i can remember playing til sun up is Street Fighter II on SNES at my cousin’s. after, like, 1999 staying up for more than 24h was a weekly thing at least. then lan parties. then undergrad. then life. it all stopped the second i turned 30.

it’s fuckin’ wild to me that literally every Metal Gear i’ve finished was as the sun was rising. how on earth is that such a shared experience?

there’s a back road from my hometown to Orlando through the Mormon cattle ranch. there are no lights, it’s always foggy, and you stand a good chance of getting shot at if you stop on the side of the road because of how often folks trespass to forage shrooms from the massive biosolids farms. anyway, it’s real spoopy out there at night so we’d listen to the Portal soundtrack and drive 100+ down Deer Park Rd

6 Likes

oh there’s a QR code in a cafe in the new Nancy Drew game that links to a video slideshow of all the dev pets

9 Likes

While (probably) not the first game I played as an all nighter, I have a very distinct memory of sitting down at about 8PM to play Shovel Knight on my Wii U the day it came out and putting it down at about 4 or 5am as the summer sun rose. I did this in the same room as my sleeping roommate, headphones plugged in to the WIi U gamepad.

That game’s pretty good!

2 Likes