Ep. 345 - Tater Haters

Brandon mentioned bridge so I don’t have to write a longer comment on why bridge is awesome. Spades is a simpler version of it. Trick taking games have satisfying player interaction and strategy; it feels really good to play out cards in such a way as to successfully intuit what your partner has and will do, especially when you meet your bid or target.

That element of collaboration isn’t something I have seen video games do often or well. Voice chat removes most of that kind of guessing work. Even most board games with collaboration end up with some version of allowing enough table talk to trivialize the intuition of guessing what suits/cards another player has and logically deducing when to play to them. More deduction video games focus on antagonistic guess-who-the-traitor-is mechanics (Spy Party, Among Us, Town of Salem), which is also fun but not the same as intuitive teamwork without words to beat friends.

7 Likes

I think a good example of intuitive teamwork with a partner without chat is something along the lines of Smash Bros doubles.

I’m having trouble thinking of any other instances.

2 Likes

The world of games playable with a 52 card deck (or multiple!) is rich and vast and beautiful, but here’s a favorite of mine:

Regicide is a cooperative boss rush card game. It’s incredibly clever in how it uses suits, you get to upgrade your decks over time as you take down each tier of the monarchy, and it’s challenging but very learnable/winnable. I think every person interested in game design can learn a lot of lessons from this.

You don’t need any special deck of cards to play, but if you want one with some slightly more thematic art there is an official deck for it (two actually, a red one and a blue one)

6 Likes

If we roll with the idea of a BMW being beautiful to drive but breaks down quickly I would say the BMW of video games is the Xbox 360.

6 Likes

Kirby looks after his co-workers.

5 Likes