Executive Games

I booted up Aerobiz for the SNES after hearing talk of it on these forums.

When it loaded I was struck by the opening credits:

>

KOEI

KOEI PRESENTS

>

A KOU SHIBUSAWA PRODUCTION

>

from its

EXECUTIVE SERIES

>

AEROBIZ

It made me feel like I was underdressed, should fix my posture and should be at the desk, not on a couch. I didn't play much as I had a headache so I decided I should read the manual to figure out what to do.

This experience got me thinking of games that are targeted to older audiences near exclusively. I remember trying to play SimCity as a young child and knowing it wasn't for me. The only time I have seen a business man (in a suit) play a game was on a commuter ferry and he was playing WordScapes on his phone. I think we would define it as a casual game these days but it does have a more toned down aesthetic when compared to Candy Crush.

I have formed this thread to invite discussion over these games. Here are some starting topics.

What are other examples of executive games?
Are there many from the modern era?
What are the traits of a game targeting professionals?

Hmmm… executive games? No, I don‘t think I can think of any. I’m more into executive dysfunction games

@“Syzygy”#p54744 I am constantly amazed by adult humans who I know and who are generally normal and functioning will drop hours a day and sometimes not insignificant sums of actual money on mobile games that look like the worst sort of 2007 Wii shovelware. Addiction is a helluva drug man.

Windows Solitaire?

>

Note to all staff, I have made the cards go bouncy all over the screen again. Screenshot attached

(there is no attachment)

@“rejj”#p54770 I made more money during the last game of solitaire than you made this month. The meritocracy is real and rich people earn their money by working hard. Yes I’m very smart look at the bouncy cards

I spend all day working on a spreadsheet at work, so I can go home and play a spreadsheet grand strategy game.

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/iSr2PHi.png]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/56JIPZh.png]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/bDAqzsS.png]

Honestly though, I can't wait until Victoria 3 releases later this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_NBtwY9y6s

@“Tradegood”#p54774 This is what its all about as a high level executive; a lot of stats and resource management. It should also have some part of relation to the real world.

I was considering Gran Turismo Sport as an executive game, it definitely has the UI for it, But I think any sport game where you take part as a player steps it down a notch. Maybe the Football Manager games are a better fit, I remember seeing people wear suits for the finals, but perhaps it is only done in jest.

@“rejj”#p54770 @“fridgeboy”#p54772 I hope you two are playing at least three card klondike or else I expect your resignations on my desk by Monday.

I think this is part of it, the games require minimal input and are often mouse controlled. You should be able to take your hands off the wheel. They are about making desicions.
Wordle strikes me as an business man's game, sharing your wordle does not.

The Bit Generations games for GBA feel very ‘executive’. Simple, minimalist presentation of limited but focused experiences on purposeful, refined cartridges. Play on Game Boy Micro for a CEO-level executive experience.

There's also a steam game called “The Political Process” which looks and feels like it was built in Microsoft Sharepoint.

It lets you live out the executive fantasy of being a campaign manager and ranking member of the Democrat or Republican National Committees. You get all the thrills of watering down campaign messaging and capitulating to donors so you can afford huge ads buys, in an attempt to shift 3% of the the voting public in Crackerville, West Virginia.

@“Tradegood”#p54774

So its not a joke anymore, Thats very intersting. After Crusader Kings 3 was pretty good, im kinda excited how this will end out. I really wish for great menus like in CK 3

@“Sawyer”#p54918

Yep, Victoria 3 confirmed. I agree, CK3 has such beautiful menus and smart design. I think a lot of the Imperator: Rome team is moving over, and that game's UI wasn't great. However, what they've shown so far [seems pretty decent](https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/victoria-3-dev-diary-29-user-experience.1506484/):

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/uWc4JFd.png]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/1kX6Dll.png]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/l10Y4sn.jpeg]

From my experience, executives mostly play shallow social mobile games with shared online rankings that allow them to compare their daily scores with other executives. Some will usually have exactly one PC or console game they like and mindlessly play for hundreds of hours per year, be it The Division 2, Call of Duty, Fortnite, Civilization, Animal Crossing or Derby Stallion.

Anyway, the reason I am posting here is to share this recent two parts playthrough of the [_sūfami_](https://forums.insertcredit.com/d/1293-regional-super-nintendo-entertainment-system-acronym-pronunciation/46) game **Kachō Shima Kōsaku: The Super Business Adventure** (1993), which reminded me of this thread. Developed by Tom Create for publisher Yutaka, it is the adaptation of a popular manga on the Japanese corporate world and culture, published from 1983 until 1992.

https://youtu.be/Cay9GoHg5Qk

I said until 1992 but there is a pretty damn huge caveat: while it is true that the career of section chef (_kachō_) Shima Kōsaku came to a close then, he was subsequently promoted several times and each promotion led to a different series. So you have the tales of manager Shima Kōsaku, deputy general manager Shima Kōsaku, etc. all the way to CEO Shima Kōsaku and the latest series (still running as I write this), Chairman of the Board Shima Kōsaku.

Foolishly, given the theme and IP, I had always assumed this Super Famicom game was some sort of heavy management simulation with graphics and budgets and tons of menus, but I discover with these videos that it’s a simple graphic adventure for limited choices, akin to a _CYOA_ novel. It looks pretty good!

https://youtu.be/k71-Xdv-Jfo

It probably won’t surprise you to hear this is a popular manga series among Japanese salarymen; you can often spot a few volumes in a manager’s bookshelf behind their desk, typically from the series at their current employment level. I have wondered in the past if you could astutely guess a promotion in advance by spotting new volumes belonging to the next series in their shelves.

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/D3h2TRH.jpeg]

When I was a kid, I thought Natsume's motto "Serious Fun" that appeared before Harvest Moon indicated that this was a _very serious_ game for _very serious_ adults.... though nowadays I realize how ridiculous it would be for them to be playing Rune Factory or Pocky and Rocky.

In reality the only Natsume game I can see execs playing is Hal's Hole in One Golf since the narrator wears a suit on the greens like a gentleman.

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/rdNG75I.png]