Final Fantasy Thread

Am I the only one here who has played 1-13 and enjoyed every single one of them??

@yeso#12113 real talk if you could dress the boys up I would have beaten this game.

@Gaagaagiins#12112 everything I have ever heard strongly indicates thatā€™s the play. which sucks!! i dream of someday making an open world RPG exactly like the first couple hours except thereā€™s no monsters or combat whatsoever, and youā€™re a band.

my favorite final fantasy is III for the famicom. itā€˜s the only one iā€™ve been compelled to play through multiple times!

the nes/famicom final fantasy games feel so dark and other-worldly to me. i guess it's just because of how little explanation there is of all the strange imagery you see, and the constant sense of danger that comes from how easy it is to die. FFVI and onward ostensibly have much more serious plots, but the feelings FFIII produces in me are way more discomforting.

the world FFIII creates is just so alien, but in a very subtle way. i really like that there's no real reveal or anything of the big twist about the world you start out in. you just kind of figure it out on your own after awhile as a fact of nature. it was the last game in the series where your protagonists had (almost) zero background or initiative. the story instead focused completely on presenting this world for you to think about and slowly struggle through.

@espercontrol#12145 Itā€˜s a real shame. As much as I do type a WHOLE lot of paragraphs about videogames, Iā€™m almost tired about moaning about XV more (I'm lying to myself ofc but, never mind).

If I had to compress everything I have to say about XV it'd probably be that its worst quality is its battle system, because it's an action game mangled into somewhat of the shape of an action RPG which itself has been mangled into the shape of an RPG. I hate how bad every melee weapon feels. I would have a similar complaint about FFVIIR, but I also hate how out of control you feel of the other characters you're not controlling, and how inert they really are if you're not controlling them. Like.......... come on........... just reintroduce Gambits?? I am legit hoping that FFVIIR-2 will have Gambits at this point. That one materia was not enough.

The worst aspect of the combat is how it handles difficulty, though, and how off the balance is. I often found that the appropriate range to be so that you're not overly strong and there is a feeling of some decent challenge, but also not so weak that you're getting creamed repeatedly, was quite small. My experience was non-standard though since I, I literally have no idea how this happened but, I accidentally powerleveled in the first few hours of the game by killing some random cactaur I ran into. But still. The further I got in the game the worse the problem became. I remember distinctly one of the later bosses (one of the last before ||the time skip||) where I had been rushing through content to just get the game over with, and so I was weak and this boss represented a bit of a difficulty spike, and I spent half the fight running and hiding with Noctis and throwing healing items at the other boys and chipping away at his health when I could. It was purgatorial, like, I knew how to not lose, but winning was horrendously boring, but at least it meant I wouldn't have to repeat it. It was excruciating, and really, maybe have the problem was that the only real strategy at that point was to just spam healing items.

I will _never_ watch a movie as homework to be able to enjoy playing a game. At least, not if it is the only thing that is gonna make the story make any goddamn sense. And CERTAINLY not if it's not free and on the game disc. Of course, I could and would have pirated it, but it's the PRINCIPLE of it, don't release a game whose story makes no goddamn sense unless you watch a companion movie and don't include a download code for the movie with the game!! That's legit unethical. The state the latter half of XV came out in was totally inexcusable. All I could feel looking at the end was all of the wasted potential. I remember looking at the ||last shot of Noctis and... uuuh... Luna? Who got fridged immediately after you actually see her in the game which is abominable?|| And I just remember thinking... damn I wish I could have given a single solitary fuck about this.

SEE I said I was lying about being tired of moaning about XV

Unethicalā€¦ you mean likeā€¦ increasing 10 bucks the price of a game that's supposed to be the return to a beloved RPG but only covers like 5% of the original story? Square-Enix would never do that!

@JoJoestar#12156 They should have had cutscenes just doled out in a daily free gatcha game with extra ones being tied to a freemium currency. yes of COURSE there would be duplicates and good cutscenes would be rare

@espercontrol#12145 I can only look at boot cut leather pants for so long (not long at all)

>

@treefroggy#12144 Am I the only one here who has played 1-13 and enjoyed every single one of them??

You're actually the only person who has on the whole planet... we are all in collective awe at your power

@saddleblasters#12146 yes FFIII is so slept on by English-speakers. It's so radā€¦

i like basically every FF game, but i like IX and X the least. my first FF game was Mystic Quest (lol) which managed to accomplish what it set out to do, which was introduce an American game enjoyer to the RPG genre. not long after, FFVI released and, well, that was kind of that - i was hooked.

i play FFXIV with a bunch of fun people, and i like it mostly because it eventually just sort of turns into Final Fantasy's Greatest Hits: The Game.

my hot take is that XIII is actually an excellent game that came out at the wrong time.

I played Mystic Quest after playing 4 and 6 and remember thinking it was really interesting. The two person party, on-rails gameplay, visible enemies, Zelda like weapon progression - all was very neat in a JRPG.

All the FFX love here has gotten me to buy this stupid remaster collection for the third time. Turns out itā€™s on sale for the Switch rn.

Did anyone here ever read that short story(iirc thatā€™s what it was) that took place after X-2? Iā€™ve heard nothing but bad things. And related question: will we ever get the often requested X-3 to wrap up the story?

https://twitter.com/alex_moukala/status/1343899887088316417?s=20

@treefroggy#12276 I LOVE this guy

@treefroggy#12276 This is incredible.

@Gaagaagiins#12150 Don't worry, XV's story didn't make a lick of sense after watching the movie AND the prequel anime series.

@captain#12298 my most XV story thought ever was, probably unreasonably late one night as one does at unreasonably late times, I was reading a Final Fantasy wiki for unknown reasons, like 3 years after I played XV, and I remember thinking, huh, so thatā€˜s why that one guy was the primary antagonist. Thatā€™s dumb

FFXV is the worst PS4 game I can't wait to replay on my new PS5 at 60fps

@GigaSlime#12323 Temper your excitement unless you know for a fact itā€™s unlocked on the new console. Various tech sites have done some analysis on FF7R and itā€™s capped at 30 Hz even on the PentaStation.

@Gaagaagiins#12142 I really liked Nadia and Kat's take on this on their Axe of the Blood God podcast. People who havenā€™t played Kingdom Hearts are like, ā€œOh, cool! What a neat way to find freedom!" And the people who have played Kingdom Hearts are like ā€œOh God, not this bullshit again, wait until the next episode, thatā€™s when the wheels start to fall off.ā€

I havenā€™t ever played _Kingdom Hearts_ so Iā€™m still optimistic!

@antillese#12339 FFXV doesnā€˜t have any kind of special PS5 performance mode, but you can play it in its PS4 pro 1080p/60fps mode. On the PS4 Pro it was incapable of actually reaching anywhere near 60fps unless you just pointed the camera directly at the ground the entire time, but Digital Foundry already confirmed a while back that most PS4 games with some kind of uncapped framerate option can reach a perfect locked 60 on the PS5. Unfortunately, yeah, FFVII Remake isnā€™t one of those games.

I have personally confirmed that Earth Defense Force 4.1 runs at a locked 60fps on the Playstation 5