Game actions you never tire of

Playing a game for the 1st time in 5-10+ years, where you still remember the vast majority of it but then getting to an area or part that you'd completely forgotten about

Also, drumming out the game music on your arcade stick buttons when a stage is starting or finishing

oh yeah, those are good ones - it‘s kind of making your own fun but that’s probably where we all are at this point. I do like to see a TAS player do a bunch of dancing to the music with the player character during an easy or on-rails sequence of a game

I saw drifting in a racing game was already mentioned, but I want to add shunting another car into a crash in an arcade racer as something that is always a joy.

The backwards Mario somersault (run, quickly change direction and jump) is so satisfying that I try to use it for normal jumps whenever possible.

https://www.mariowiki.com/images/d/d6/SM3DL-Mario_Backwards_Somersault_Artwork.png

causing opposing cars to crash is something I discovered the fun of way back on the intellivision with bump n jump! maybe this is one of the worst conversions, but it's the one I played. I wonder which is the best? Maybe NES? It seems to have been expanded the most:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DilHa8noaDw

It made playing the Rush (and other arcade racing) series feel weird because I had this very strong feeling that if I landed on another car after a jump it should explode.

More generally, holding the jump button when bouncing off a piece of the environment to get higher is pretty much always fun, even when it's in unfun games. Also I love when holding down a button does something different to just pressing it once, especially in a menu.

Playing through Death Stranding for the first time this week, I'm surprisingly not getting sick of balancing myself with the L and R triggers.

Airdashing or dodgerolling in just about any game feels great, especially when you get a couple of iframes and use it to not die.

Celeste and Towerfall have the most satisfying airdashes lately, and the dodgeroll in Enter the Gungeon feels particularly good.

Mashing movement buttons. Run jump dash roll idc. Combining that stuff like in Mario 64 is like amazing, too.

I've been playing the very odd Contra Rogue Corps lately, lots of air dashing in there for everybody, heh heh.

I‘ve been playing Mirror’s Edge Catalyst, because after playing the demo for Ghostrunner I really wanted more of that parkour style gameplay.

I‘d heard a lot of bad things about the combat in MEC, and whilst it is by no means great, I can’t help but think that reviewers wanted a pure running game and decided to judge MEC on that standard rather than on what the game is.

To come around to my point, the combat game actions in MEC don't get tiresome for me, because knocking the human enemies into each other or into obstacles makes them stumble around and stagger comically, which I realised is a game action I never tire of. Probably since GTA IV came out with that crazy good physics.

Doing the double-tap forward to run and then do a massive jump in River City Ransom.

-Dashing

-Wall Jumping

-Charging a laser

-Drifting

-Shooting dudes in the dick in games where there are unique animations for that (Metal Gear Solid 2&3, Stranglehold, Sniper Elite)

Dodge Rolls, especially in Souls games and Monster Hunter just feel so satisfying. Souls games also just really I think first clicked with me because of the discovery aspect you mentioned in the OP; finding secrets and shortcuts and how the world is so interconnected is just phenomenal on those first few play-throughs. People tried selling me them on their difficulty for the longest time and I put off playing them because I figured they‘d just be masocore games where there wasn’t much to them but difficulty; so glad I finally eventually checked them out.

As someone who also loves to just spin characters in place, I gotta admit, after having not really enjoyed a Pokemon game in a few generations, it was kinda great to see that in Sword & Shield your character pirouettes when you do it and its actually tied to a Pokemon's evolution. One of those fun little goofy things you just so often do in a game getting acknowledged and tied into the game mechanically was a nice little touch.

I agree with basically all the player movement ones.

BUT consider these
-shooting out the tires on a moving vehicle and
watching it skid out into a roll (pretty rare, but
crackdown and just cause 2 are notable examples)
-shooting the legs of an enemy as they run towards
you and watching them trip over (resi 4 notable
example)
-putting ice on the ground and watching enemies slip
and fall off a ledge (only dark messiah... That I know
of)

The only thing I like about Mega Man Legends is kicking that can around.

You can shoot the tires off of cars in virtua cop! And maaaybe one of the yakuza games? I forget…

@Wooben#2873 love these… basically any action that produces an immediate, big physics reaction is endlessly satisfying (dismemberment in Dead Space, running people over in GTA).

another one i like is setting up a trap, or the solution to a puzzle; a pause while you wait to see if it worked, and then finding out if it did or not. this applies to tons of games but i immediately think of the shells and bananas in Mario Kart as the purest example. i don't find it as satisfying in a straight adventure game where there's only one right answer. i prefer when there's some tension, some tangible ambiguity between success and failure, such as in stealth game, where you can get by flawlessly or fucking up and having to improvise. it's that thing where you had an idea in your head, you put it in motion, and you're figuratively at the edge of your seat wondering if it's going to work as you intended. love that.

to borrow more from Dark Souls; meeting an old friend again, or going back to a place you haven't visited in a while, with new objectives and a new perspective this time. games so often are constantly throwing new stuff at the player, and the character's familiarity with the world is almost always implied but never felt. going back to something that you familiarized yourself with before is very comforting and a nice change of pace. makes the player feel knowledgeable and the world seem less like just a rollercoaster ride.

i prefer it when exploration is rewarded with things that aren't tied to progression or collectibles. if it is, it feels like a chore. if the obviously more effective way to play the game is looking in every single drawer, looking in every single drawer is no longer a choice, it's a routine **i will** put myself through **the whole time**, without hesitation. i recently experienced this in A Short Hike. in this game, you're supposed to be going up mountain in a chill, peaceful, _whimsical_ island. you soon meet a bunch of NPCs, each of whom want some item or other. there are coins and items all over the place, with which you can improve your flying abilities (you assume this will be necessary to get to the top). so, logically, i began to meticulously check every inch of the coastline surrounding the island to make sure i got everything first, before even trying to go up the mountain at all. i climbed a little bit, and then went all the way around the perimeter again. and then again. and then again. by the time i encountered something that required my flying abilities, i was way overpowered, and my time had been about as whimsical as sweeping a whole beach with a metal detector.

@Wooben#2873

Thief 3, as much of a mess as it was, had oil flasks you could throw on the ground to make people slip and fall off ledges. It was broken to the point that in the final section of the game where you're being pursued by an "invincible" monstrous Hag, you could make her pratfall like one of the three stooges off a pier.

Maybe a tad generic but I get a little high off of detailed gun reload and cocking animations