Games that ask you to grab non-video game stuff

Finally made time for this, and wow! I don’t think it counts for this particular list (it never tells you to go grab something outright I mean, it does tell you to squeeze your hand but that’s not the same…? idk man hahaha) but that sure was a fantastic experience! I love mini digital interactive experiences, the toys in WarioWare are always my favourite part, I just like messing around with no goal. Thank you so much for recommending it, I had a lot of fun and it is interesting to think about why we enjoy the things we do :)

Oh also I found the screenshot of super paper mario!

2 Likes

More in line with the What is a video game? game and less with the original topic (is that allowed? I guess it is my thread, so why not xD) but I saw that in Mario Party Advance they have a toy where you “practice” playing rock paper scissors in real life against an in-game rock paper scissors generator: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/VSsbHYQwCa4
How awesomely dumb is that! Totally reminded me of “now squeeze your hand” haha

1 Like

Farming has you reaching for that rubber band.

4 Likes

Oh, interesting! My little brother did this for soft resetting for a shiny but he put his around the L and R buttons, like so:
Which then ALSO reminds me, my neighbour had put a rubber band around one of the keys on his guitar hero guitar, though for what reason I can no longer recall

3 Likes

The top one with the 3DS that I showed is also shiny farming!

1 Like

I suspect it was for playing Through the Fire and Flames on Expert, where the opening riff starts with each note followed by a green note (I probably made this connection because I was thirteen at the time and remember a friend describing the idea of putting a rubber band over the green button).

I suspect that I’m not the only person to have heard of Give me toilet paper!, which is a switch game that is designed around placing the joycon inside of a roll of toilet paper. I remember this from a fairly clickbaity article (I think from Kotaku), and I’ve been morbidly curious to try it since.

2 Likes

I did this to beat the Gran Turismo 4 (or 3?) endurance race on Test Course.

2 Likes

Oh my goodness, now that you said that I can remember watching him try and play that song over and over, that’s exactly what it was! That memory was totally buried until you described it, wow

I too am really fascinated by the toilet paper game I just need to sit down and give it a go haha Did you see the new game from the same publisher, Bruce and Box? You have to use a real life cardboard box but uhhhhhh it’s much weirder

2 Likes

Games that give you junk that you need to keep in your house to play the game: no thanks
Games that essentialize junk that you already have in your house: yes please

2 Likes

This is cheating but here is a game that asks you to grab a non-game thing:

7 Likes

@dylanfills Honestly I like both, I love dumb peripherals for not being bound to the normal constraints that other games settle for

@exodus “Not included: the physical endurance needed to play” (also it took me a second you meant grabbing the bar, that’s very good hahaha)

2 Likes

Nintendo released free templates for all the Labo cardboard stuff so you can use whatever boxes you have lying around. No one talks about Labo any more. It’s like we’ve all been labotomized.

7 Likes

Yeah, labo! It’s really cool how they made the schematics available too, though I admit I don’t know how to print on cardboard XD
Further labo fun fact - in Japan, there was a Labo piggy bank and pen stand My Nintendo reward, it doesn’t work with any games but it’s very cute anyhow ^^

4 Likes

I love this stuff. I missed that you already mentioned it. Looking at the templates makes me want to try making them with my kid if we ever get a switch. I guess you would have to print on paper and glue the paper to the cardboard.

3 Likes

Ehh, I’m not picky if I already mentioned something or not, I’d love to talk about anything gaming with anyone :)
And ahh yeah that makes sense! Print out on paper haha why didn’t that occur to me

If you want even more labo fun facts I got more!
There was special labo tapes!

Which is pretty cool but my favourite is the labo storage box:

But that’s not even the best part because THEY DID IT AGAIN :smiley:

they made a happy home paradise version
AND THEN MADE A BABY VERSION OF THAT

you can’t make this stuff up
there is an entire lineage of Nintendo cardboard holding cardboard boxes

thanks for coming to my ted talk on things I love to gush about at any opportunity for which opportunities very rarely arise

5 Likes