games that can be finished in an evening

a friend and I have been doing a weekly game night where we play a game to completion every thursday. so far we‘ve done bullet witch, 50 cent blood on the sand, and gunple: gunman’s proof

basically what I'm looking for are obscure-ish games that can be finished in 6 hours or less. here's a ggapp list with some of the stuff we're already thinking about playing: https://ggapp.io/TwoHeadedDeer/lists/game-club-Ek9QCK_p

appreciate u all

If you are interested in less action based things also, you should easily be able to get through Subsurface Circular, Quarantine Circular, Tacoma, or The Stanley Parable within an evening. I think Stray likely fits also, but I need to go back and continue playing that so I can't confirm. A Short Hike will leave you room for something else the same evening!

This reminds me of when I was a kid and mountain dewed up playing Castlevania 64 or Devil May Cry with my friends all night.

Papers, Please is surprisingly a great co-op game, as it gives you an extra set of eyes to look out for details.

I also recommend _Steel Assault_, a gorgeous GBA-style pixel art action platformer. Basically you're getting gunned down by Contra enemies and bosses, but your weapon is a Castlevania whip. Can be beat in about 1-2 hours.

I made a list on Backloggd a while ago for this kind of thing! Some of these are just a little long for a single evening, but most of them would work for this. Some of my higher recommendations from here for a single-sitting would be D, Fairune, Ico, Kolibri, Mansion of Hidden Souls, Moon Crystal, Panic!, and Shinrei Jusatsushi Tarōmaru. In particular, Fairune and Mansion of Hidden Souls would be great when you and the buddies want to really sit down and think through things, while Panic! and Shinrei Jusatsushi Tarōmaru are great for nights where you just want to see a whole bunch of wild nonsense.

Stray definitely fits this category, I think I beat it over the course of a week with around 2 hour sessions each time I played.

My favorite of this sort of thing is the game INSIDE. It can be beat in just a few hours, like a long movie. I went to go show a friend the game just cause I thought it looked cool and we ended up just playing through the whole thing right there. It may not look like there's a lot going on, but it's got a lot of depth for such a short game.

It feels silly to suggest literally every arcade game but, uh, literally every arcade game.

There are several short games from the PS2 era that may have been contemporaneously reviewed lower due to their brevity. I rented a bunch of them at the time but since modding my consoles it's been nice to burn through them again or for play the first time. Licensed games of this era were short but much better than their 8/16/32 bit counterparts. Also this gen probably has the most AAA games with the shortest playtimes with the average title able to be completed in under 20 hours.

You may need the set the difficulty to Easy to finish in 6 hours on some of these, but they should be a good time:

• - 007 Agent Under Fire (PS2/Xbox/GCN)
  • - The Bouncer (PS2)
  • - P.N.0.3 (GCN)
  • - Ace Combat 4 (PS2)
  • - Urban Reign (PS2)
  • - Zone of the Enders (PS2)
  • - Panzer Dragoon Orta (Xbox)
  • - Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge (Xbox)
  • - ICO (PS2)
  • - Genji: Dawn of the Samurai (PS2)
  • - Luigi's Mansion (GCN)
  • - Shinobi (PS2) >!it's pretty tough though...!<
  • - Gungrave (PS2)
  • - Spy Hunter (PS2/GCN/Xbox)
  • - Darkwatch (PS2/GCN/Xbox)
  • - Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks (PS2/Xbox)
  • - Timesplitters Future Perfect (PS2/Xbox/GCN)
  • - Cold Fear (PS2)
  • - The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (PS2/Xbox/GCN)
  • - ChainDive (PS2)
  • - SkyGunner (PS2)
  • - Max Payne 2 (PS2/Xbox)
  • - Neo Contra (PS2)
  • - Bujingai: The Forsaken City (PS2)
  • - Seven Samurai 20XX (PS2)
  • - Metal Wolf Chaos (Xbox) _this was re-released recently_
  • - Lost Kingdoms (GCN)
  • - The Red Star (PS2)
  • - The Sword of Etheria (PS2)
  • Some good quick 360 era games:

• - Warhammer 40k Space Marine
  • - Wanted: Weapons of Fate
  • - Portal
  • - N3 Ninety Nine Nights
  • - Dark Void
  • - Mirrors Edge
  • - Dead Rising (if you don't want all the endings)
  • That'll do for now.

Ok to narrow it down Boogie Wings might be a fun one. Think “what if Metal Slug had 10 times the vehicles and was far far goofier?”

Can confirm, my Stray play-through was just over 4 hours.

>!It’s pretty meh all said and done though.!<

A Short Hike was really good for this.

Abzu