Games that fill you with rage... for other reasons

So there are games out there DESIGNED to be rage inducing, such as the flash game “GIVE UP” or the PC game “I WANNA BE THE GUY”. In these games, they're literally designed to drive you absolutely mad and piss you off to no end to the point you might break something.

But that's not what we're talking about... instead, I want to know about the seemingly innocent, average, above average, or even legitimately good games that have something in them that was so annoying to you, that you either rage quit, or refused to stop playing until you beat the game.

Some games in mind that always got my blood to boil were:

GUBBLE (PS1)
This little obnoxious, jaw-droppingly bad puzzle game just leaves me going "if I had a hammer, my screen would be smashed in right now". That said though, as much as this game looks like the creation of someone tripping out with random pre-made assets from the Unity Store, something about this game, despite driving me up the wall and making me thoroughly annoyed that I got this as a birthday present, was oddly satisfying.

THE LION KING (SNES)
Now if you've played this game, you'll know exactly the part I am talking about, and believe me, after failing it multiple times in a row, I picked up that cart and smashed it to pieces.

So, what games got under your skin?

I was playing The Adventures of Cookie & Cream with a friend cause it's a coop game. And there was a clown balancing on a ball that caused my friend to go into a fit of rage that I found extremely funny.

Fighting Seymour in FFX sent me into rage mode many times. Playing Street Fighter IV put me in such a rage I gave up fighting games ever since.

>

@“DavidNoo”#p85561 Fighting Seymour in FFX sent me into rage mode many times.

That one fight on ||Mt. Gagazet|| where he has a move that ||inflicts the Zombie status effect which causes healing effects to instead cause damage|| is a doozy!

After a recent, 100%, playthrough of Mario 64 I've decided that game just has a dark, ugly soul to it that outright rejected me having any kind of good time with it.

It tricks you, because those first few levels are great. But it's got that dark soul, man. A hateful soul.

I will never forget the tad tones

@“yeso”#p85600 in this same game is was the dusk relic stealth thing for me. Took the game out and never looked back.

I find I don‘t experience rage while playing games anymore. I don’t know, nothing brings me remotely close to breaking something or yelling in genuine anger. Sometimes the frustration and getting loud is part of the fun. I find this especially true in multiplayer games.

I used to get so mad playing Smash Bros, but then I played someone so much better than me that it destroyed any ego I had about it. I've been much more chill since then.

>

@“Mnemogenic”#p85598 After a recent, 100%, playthrough of Mario 64 I’ve decided that game just has a dark, ugly soul to it that outright rejected me having any kind of good time with it.

>
>

It tricks you, because those first few levels are great. But it’s got that dark soul, man. A hateful soul.

Nice... I thought I was pretty iconoclastic for thinking _Mario 64_ is overrated. I would be interested to hear what about it makes it evil

@“Gaagaagiins”#p85610

It's the way the game sets expectations that aren't really comfortable or within the game's ability to be taken in. It feels like it bullies you.

It's hard to differentiate this from just being difficulty, which is part of this but not all of it. It feels like it sets you up to have a bad time, by setting expectations it can't comfortably play its part in. And then it blames you for messing up.

I think the most annoying game I've ever played was Super Meat Boy. It begins so breezy and stays that way for about an hour and then becomes a hallway of torment at an alarming rate.

@“Mnemogenic”#p85613 This is a fascinating take, for some reason this stirred some vague, indeterminate memory from playing Mario 64 as a kid and, I dunno, feeling a vague unease. Could not describe it any further than that.

Do you think part of this is, like, an underestimation of the intricacies of 3D movement? One thing I think Mario in _Mario 64_ has great movement and jumping, but certain other things can really undermine that at times: the level design, the enemies, of course the camera, but also the actual console's controller, especially if you also had _Mario Party_ around the same time.

Sometimes _Mario 64_ kind of feels like an obsessive amount of work was put into Mario's movement and traversal that just wasn't matched with the same level of obsessive quality in the level design.

Splatterhouse III on the Genesis, because it‘s this game based around trying to rush but the enemies will retreat backwards and even off screen for you to wait for them to come back because you can’t scroll the screen. The final boss is just a skull that disappears and reappears and every time it reappears you might have a chance to hit it once but usually you whiff because the hit detection is so bad.

Yea it's a rager

JRPGs with intricate battle systems. For example, Persona 5, Octopath Traveler, and Fantasian frustrated me to a point where I couldn‘t bother finishing them. They all have battle systems that are fun at first, but are set up in a way that you can’t really just “autobattle” and eventually encounters become tedious and obnoxious. ESPECIALLY random battles; nothing is worse than having to slog through a battle that you didn‘t have the choice to engage with.

That’s one of the reasons I love DQ11 so friggin much: Auto battles with the speed cranked way up and not random.

A game like Dungeon Encounters where the entire game is the battle system (more or less) is also a lot of fun. I either need a deep battle system, or a fleshed out world and story, both is too much for me.

@“RubySunrise”#p85602 I don‘t get mad anymore either, it’s been over a decade I think since a game has really pissed me off!

@“DavidNoo”#p85740 yeah, same - games only make me mad when they do something inappropriate narratively, otherwise it's usually like… “I see why that happened.”

@“RubySunrise”#p85602

>

Sometimes the frustration and getting loud is part of the fun.

Yeah same here, I love a good challenge and usually see it through if I see the care taken into it's design. I was straight up laughing with every attempt trying to take down the Guardian Ape and Demon of Hatred in Sekiro. Every time I died I came back stronger (very anime, I know, but it's a trope for a reason). Definitely my favorite aspect of FromSoftware games.
[upl-image-preview url=https://i.imgur.com/rR6I9e4.gif]

Also, I still love Mario 64, but yeah the Tick Tock Clock and Rainbow Ride 100 coin stars are brutal.

God of War 2018. I gave it a good 2 hours and really tried to get enjoyment out of it.

I really didn‘t want to be a contrarion simply for the sake of it but man, I can’t understand why people like this game so much, everytime I got into a fight I was just annoyed and I wanted to look around more, the kid‘s I thought was very annoying, the puzzles I experienced were bland (maybe they get better?), I just found most of the game to be very annoying in general.

I’m happy for people that do enjoy it, but I just don't get it, I almost thought The Stranger fight was cool until I did it three times in a row.

>

@“mtvcribs”#p85795 everytime I got into a fight I was just annoyed and I wanted to look around more, the kid’s I thought was very annoying, the puzzles I experienced were bland (maybe they get better?), I just found most of the game to be very annoying in general.

Even as someone who liked the game quite a lot, I would still say that although the first 2 hours don't really get you too far past the initial onboarding experience, even I didn't feel _too_ impressed with the combat for the beginning of the game. It took me a long time to really get into it, and I thought it really came into its own... by like... the endgame challenge content.

The puzzles also don't really get all that more engaging. They're puzzles of a sort I actually kind of like, in that, they're not all that intricate or clever but they sometimes made _me_ feel clever, so they kept me interested. But I'm a dummy.

In other words, it doesn't sound like you should be in too much of a rush to take another crack at it.

The Battle for Olympus (NES). The fact that you can‘t hit the slugs, even when you’re crouched, upsets me. I‘m also not a fan of how you travel from city to city. I’d rather something like The Legend of Zelda 2. It'd make the land seem vaster and the travel less claustrophobic and confusing.

@“mtvcribs”#p85795 If we‘re critiquing awesome games, I am really disappointed in myself that I couldn’t get into Horizon: Zero Dawn. The controls felt too thin, if that makes sense. It angers me because it‘s so petty and nitpicky, but I just couldn’t get into it.