Games you know too well (aka "you're doing it wrong!!")

@“antillese”#p114504 Game settings are always first.

@“TracyDMcGrath”#p114490 you‘d die if you saw me use excel. halfway through the date format changes despite my typing the same way in each field and I just go… well I guess that’s how it is now. we will all have to live with it forever. I should probably take an excel class some time but it‘s caused me so much grief over the years that I’d just rather be sad about it almost!?

Kinda qualifies, but I’ve been playing driving and racing games for just about as long as I’ve been playing games in general. Seeing someone play with the racing line assist showing but then completely ignoring it and missing every corner and grinding the walls just seems baffling to me.

@“copySave”#p114502

>

@“copySave”#p114502 Watching people play Super Metroid or Mario and they forget there is a run button

and they they get mad and say it's a bad game or something.
but really, what's missing is the experience of reading the manual on the way home or before you play the game.
game manuals are so important 😩 and cool, and exciting, and makes a lot of sense....

basically judging retro games grossly out of context really grinds my gears, especially when you are arrogant about it. okay zoomer. go read a ~~book~~ manual.

though it's also how we get memes like *why can't metroid crawl*

@“treefroggy”#p114531 one million percent, I hate whenever people talk poorly about older games from the NES era or before because they played it for 5 seconds and engaged with absolutely none of its mechanics. Especially when it comes to scoring. If they‘re not your thing that’s totally fine but don‘t tell other people not to play them or that they’re bad games if you're not going to even begin to play them on their own terms. Every time I hear any arcade game referred to as a “button masher” my soul dies a little.

@“TracyDMcGrath”#p114540 True for all games. By truly zoomy modern standards, all retro games are bad. Everything is “unplayable”. We live by an ancient standard that requires context to be enjoyed. So I can‘t be surprised or even blame most people doing this. It’s a spectrum. We're all on the far end of the video game appreciators spectrum here.

Also can't really blame them when Nintendo does the bare minimum with NSO rereleases, should have complete translated Japanese manual scans imo.

having trouble thinking of specific examples like the OP. it's a knee-jerk response I'm not proud of. I can think of so many for dark souls but it may reflect poorly on me lol. Like locking on. You wanna lock on for most humanoid enemies, but for beasts and dragons and huge enemies, don't lock on...

I know it‘s a baby game but I cease to be surprised at how many people don’t power slide around corners in Mario Kart games, typically from people that say “I'm good at Mario Kart”. Come on, there's eight* of those games now.

*Yes, I know not eight.

@“treefroggy”#p114497

Watching my good friend (who has since become an avid Soulsborne enjoyer with me) plays Dark Souls for the first time and trying to keep my mouth shut was an experience in patience. He obviously wanted to go visit the skellys in the graveyard and was becoming increasingly frustrated at dying and lamented the game maybe wasn't for him. But he persevered and it finally clicked.

@"copySave"#p114502

Lol I feel personally attacked at that fighting game one. Granted, I'm not good at fighting games at all, and usually stay away from them. Is it bad form to go in with a jumping attack? Or just the mark of a noob??

For me, it's any Sonic game I guess. Especially the old ones. It's the one series I've played the most my whole entire life. There's just so many different tricks an ways to play I've picked up on playing the levels through so many times that seeing someone who typically doesn't play Sonic fail to grok how to deftly maneuver him through the level sends me into fits. And then they just go, "See, the old Sonic games suck." Granted, I will say that some of the levels are pretty bad in terms of level design and allowing you to really let Sonic open up.

>

@“milo”#p114757 Lol I feel personally attacked at that fighting game one. Granted, I’m not good at fighting games at all, and usually stay away from them. Is it bad form to go in with a jumping attack? Or just the mark of a noob??

Because in many* fighting games, you can't block in the air, you commit to your trajectory, and have limited offense options, an intermediate player usually won't jump unless there is a reason to do so (jumping over a fireball, etc), especially since many characters have strong anti-air normals and specials. Don't worry about it too much. Just think about jumping less often.

>

@“LeFish”#p114719 I know it’s a baby game but I cease to be surprised at how many people don’t power slide around corners in Mario Kart games, typically from people that say “I’m good at Mario Kart”.

These are the same people that are crashing around the walls on racing games that @"rejj"#p114525 was grumbling about. I posit that Mario Kart can teach you braking and cornering (sorta within the power slide mechanics) but you gotta turn that CC class up to 150, and families I've observed don't like to do that.

Just remember that at one point, we all were the ones crashing into walls, getting killed by skeletons, and figuring out mechanics in games

@“treefroggy”#p114765 Agree! That‘s why I think people should turn up the speed in Mario Kart, learn how to apex a turn, then graduate to Daytona USA, learn how to keep the rear wheels under them, and the next thing you know you’re running practice laps for the F1 Vegas Grand Prix in Assetto Corso.

https://www.f1lasvegasgp.com/track-layout

I can't seem to extract the direct link to the video. The second point I'm I'm trying to make is the fact that the _Assetto Corso_ video game already has in-game simulation of the track before it's done which is kinda neat.

When I play mario 64, I have to do cannonless. I forgot how to get that star otherwise. I also always do bomb clip when I start it up. Learning a couple speedrun tricks really changes the game in a fun way.

I actually actively attempt to play games with simulated fresh eyes, avoid optimal strategy, beep boop :robot: mentality, role play, and enjoy the wonder and glory of video games.

I thought I didn‘t have one of these but I just came up with one. in the vein of people who can’t watch other people use excel. seeing other people trying to find a restaurant or a place or just getting directions on Google Maps causes me physical pain. I have said this before but my favorite “video game” is Google earth/maps so i know how to get around every problem or quirk or just how to get better results.

I've been in some situations recently where my phone isn't available for ontle reason or another and i have to rely on another person using Google maps and I've had to restrain myself because I don't know how to say "you are doing it wrong" without being rude lol

BTW to be clear (though I probably messed this up with my headline), and nobody has said this but I wanted to clarify anyway, I didn‘t intend for this to be a thread where we dunk on noobs or complain about people being bad at games - more that we show our own neuroses of doing things in games a certain way, and when confronted with someone else doing it a different way, we realize a bit of the brain worms we’ve got.

Just saying! But I think it can also be a useful thread for teaching because as @antillese said, jumping in in a fighting game is indeed a thing to avoid in most games because it just opens you up to damage - it's tempting because it closes distance, but it's rarely safe, and will often be punished! It's pretty okay to do in asuka 120% though, one of the many reasons it rules