Goofy stuff from your life

IMG_0821

9 Likes

See now this is the kind of Chicago experience I was hoping for when I was there a few weeks ago. Disappointed.

2 Likes

dont know where you spent your time here exactly, but let’s call it regional color has been policed out of parts of the city to clear the way for a whole lot of schmucks (aka gentrification)

6 Likes

Update: I’m perfectly fine. Completely unphased. I might go for seconds.

5 Likes

idk what’s going on with all these scam phone calls it’s out of control. I got a scam call to my hospital pager today, and also the emergency phone in the elevator rang and it was a scammer what on earth

11 Likes

wow, that second one is extra impressive. I guess companies can buy lists of phone numbers but it feels like that one shouldn’t be listed.

4 Likes

My work phone is fine, but one of my colleagues gets spam calls several times per day. His phone number is unlisted on the website; mine is not.

Spam daddy is hungry.

1 Like

Picked up a rolling pin today from this little old lady on fb marketplace.

22 Likes

That’s the interaction we like to see!

7 Likes

acquired a new sense of empathy for slow-walkers since I fucked up a tendon in my foot and have to take it easy. Fast walkers huffily clomping behind you is very annoying. I vow not to return to my old ways once my tendon is better. I never knew life was like this for slow moving people (still hate tourists and groups of people who walk side by side taking up the whole sidewalk)

12 Likes

I have a similar thing - people complain about prices going up, and they have, but I was like - it’s not that bad! It’s a couple bucks here and there.

But then this week I left california where we grow a lot of food and are close to mexico, and a lot of things are almost twice the price of what we pay? The 8 oz block of tillamook cheese, which is currently on sale at my local store in oakland for $3.50 ($4.99 usually, which is still a bit expensive) is $7.99. The granola I usually get for 5 bucks is 9 bucks. I knew inflation was real, and shrinkflation was real, but now I’m seeing it’s really real, because in california we’ve got both higher paying jobs and less expensive food? dang dude.

10 Likes

try to buy an avocado outside of california one of these days

3 Likes

Where I live in the midwest we’ve always had lower wages but our cost of living is insanely low. I rent a spacious one bedroom in a good neighborhood for $675.00/mo, which is still high for me considering what I paid even five years ago. Anyway, property values are suddenly skyrocketing along with inflation for normal goods and now our lower wages are no longer keeping up with the cost of living. I like to bake and I only do it once a month because just buying decent ingredients every week is too expensive.

Anyway, that’s not goofy so I’ll share something more fun: we’re revamping the entire production and computer system at work today so we flew in some guys from LA and brought in local consultants as well, and? The power went out first thing this morning!

5 Likes

I guess the Slurpee is fuel too, in a way.

10 Likes

My partner loves avocado so she put one in a grocery order a while back as a treat (she thought) and it ended up being 8$ each and they were almost tasteless.

On the other side of the coin, rhubarb grows so easily and well here that it costs almost nothing! My neighbour gave me a whole bag of it last year because she had so much she didn’t know what to do with it (I know exactly what to do with it). Likewise wild rice, which I can remember paying a lot for in Oregon, is super cheap because it grows here!

6 Likes

I thought 2 euros an avocado here was expensive, but 8 dollars is crazy! Are they imported or domestic ones?

Also what do you do with your rhubard? My father in law grows it and has offered me some but I’ve used it before so always open to suggestions!

1 Like

They’re imported, I’m not sure if from California or Mexico. Usually stuff from the US isn’t quite that bad, so I think it must be because avocados are considered a specialty item. I should point out that it might have been a time of year thing! I don’t really like avocados myself so I don’t pay attention to their pricing most of the time.

For the rhubarb, definitely consider it for a fruit pie alongside strawberry (although it’s good in a pie on its own if you like tart stuff). It’s also really good as preserves! If you enjoy booze you can also make rhubarb infused gin or vodka, or you make bitters with it!

4 Likes

ouch $8? I’m complaining about $2 avocados here, but with the same quality problem you describe: got here on a refrigerated truck, then transition immediately from brick solid to spoiled somehow

3 Likes

what size avocado are we talking here though cause i think the size to dollar ratio here is important?

reference pic from google:

7 Likes

(Also this is $8CAD, so like $6USD BUT STILL)

I think she originally just liked the novelty of getting an avocado here, but it was a real monkey’s paw thing.

2 Likes