Goofy stuff from your life

I think it might be a regional thing, people definitely call them zip drives in the US Midwest/South. I’ve only heard thumb drive by east coasters. But in general I think this terminology might be a little out of date… I mostly hear USB or Flash Drive.

3 Likes

between Olympia and Seattle Washington I mostly heard pen drive.

3 Likes

This happens to me too, it used to be Skype was the brand name, then Zoom, and now WebEx. I think it’s because “Google Meet” and “Microsoft Teams” are genuinely terrible non-evocative names, and there are too many white label video conferencing applications to keep track of.

3 Likes

I went looking for my first flash drive (my partner contributes that it was called a 'Disk On Key and it was 16MB) and couldn’t find it but I did find four boxed Pokemon games that I could probably sell to buy a new car (kidding… unless?)

14 Likes

The resale prices of Pokémon games is definitely goofy stuff!!!

3 Likes

Out here we call them flash drives but even that is outdated as a descriptor since isn’t an SSD basically a flash drive of a sort? I started calling them USB drives a while ago but maybe they’ll take that away from me too

2 Likes

I suggest we all start calling them something timeless like “data nuggets”.

4 Likes

I called them flash drives when I was using them a lot in school and stuff. If someone called it a thumb drive that sounded like boomer speak to me. Now I guess I’d just call them a USB drive. Regardless, society is crumbling around us all the time.

3 Likes

In Brazil we call them Pendrives.
Not sure why

2 Likes

This thread made me realize that USB stick must be a German thing.

2 Likes

I’ve heard it plenty around here too, I think it’s just one of those things where everyone calls it by a bunch of names and doesn’t default to just one

2 Likes

Good to know! Sometimes we adopt English words here and use them differently or give them a completely different meaning than the original. Some of the classics are taught in school but marketing people still come up with English sounding phrases for stuff to make things sound cooler. I thought USB stick might’ve been one of the rare cases that had me fooled!

3 Likes

flash stick

flash brick

4 Likes

I wish the idea LaCie had to make them look like literal keys could have caught on.

lacie-key-storage_jpg

11 Likes

4 Likes

Wow, that guy seems really big for a jumping spider.

1 Like

It was 6AM, so in my tired, ill brain I had meant that it was a spider I had witnessed jumping, and not a jumping spider. This is a male wolf spider.

4 Likes