Have you beaten the HARDEST BOSS OF ALL TIME?

Looks like I have beaten 30 of this (questionable) list of bosses:

99 Senator Armstrong, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
98 Viper, Titanfall 2
96 The Prospector, Inscryption
94 Queen Zeal, Chrono Trigger
89 Crawmerax the Invincible, Borderlands
84 Cyberdemon, Doom
82 Atheon, Destiny
74 Baal, Diablo II
73 Hitler, Wolfenstein 3D
71 Lavos, Chrono Trigger
68 Shao Kahn, Motal Kombat 3
67 Deathshead, Wolfenstein: The New Order
65 Seth, Street Fighter IV
64 Manus, Father of the Abyss, Dark Souls
63 Psycho Mantis, Metal Gear Solid
61 Spider Mastermind, Doom
55 Liquid Snake, Metal Gear Solid
51 Maneater, Demon’s Souls
49 General Raam, Gears of War
43 Artorias, Dark Souls
33 Ornstein and Smough, Dark Souls
32 The Nameless King, Dark Souls 3
31 The End, Metal Gear Solid 3
28 Crota, Destiny
25 Goro, Mortal Combat
22 Valkyrie Sigrun, God of War
20 M Bison, Street Fighter II
19 Radagon and the Elden Beast, Elden Ring
3 Malenia, Blade of Miquella, Elden Ring
1 Skolas, Destiny

…marking Skolas down as “hardest boss of all time” is silly. But then, this whole list is silly so that doesn’t really matter I suppose.

Some standouts that I haven’t beaten for me on this list:
88 Vergil, Devil May Cry 3

• I just never beat DMC3. I really should do that.

40 The Reaper, Persona 3

• I totally let this slip when playing P3R this year. I ran away whenever I heard the noise the first time, and then I bought the fortune to not encounter the Reaper most of the other times I went to Tartarus. I forgot to try taking it on, I imagine by the end of the game it wouldn’t have been too much trouble.

29 Ludwig, the Accursed, Bloodborne
8 Orphan of Kos, Bloodborne

• I never finished Bloodborne, nor its DLC – and I loaned my disc out to someone that then moved countries and took it with them! They eventually moved back, but then also claimed to not have my disc and not remember anything about it. Sad times.

5 Sister Freide, Dark Souls 3

• I never played the DS3 DLC at all

Things that are bollocks and I agree with our resident chainsaw wielding corvid on:
30 Extreme Behemoth, Monster Hunter: World

Same here

2 Likes

I’ve only beaten 27 of these and I feel like very few of the ones I missed are from games I feel like I need to get to. I don’t play Borderlands/Destiny kind of stuff at all, though I need to get around to Sekiro and a few others. Malenia is the highest ranked one I’ve defeated.

No one’s mentioned it yet, so let me be the one to say that The Batomys from Valkyria Chronicles is the one that gave me the most trouble. That’s a case of a game forcing you to engage with its mechanics in a way that you hadn’t needed to thus far, but also it’s just a gigantic leap in difficulty at a pretty random part of the game. I love that game but I really almost quit for good when I reached that stage. Now I can beat it in my sleep, but that’s only because I was forced to master the game and that boss just to advance.

1 Like

I played Valkyria Chronicles, I know I did not finish it, and I don’t remember that boss so I didn’t list it. Maybe I did? I guess that would have been 15 ish years ago by now. Daaaang.

2 Likes

I didn’t keep track of the exact number, but I’ve beaten quite a few of these. Some, admittedly, via save states or other cheap methods (arrows through fog walls etc). There are a lot of them I don’t specifically remember but I know I’ve beaten the game so I must have. And a couple where I’m not sure - did I beat Sonic 2 as a kid or was that my friend who actually owned the cart? I remember the final boss of Sonic 2 SMS as a serious challenge - I used save states to beat it as an adult but I know I beat it legit as a kid because of how the bad ending made me feel. Of the bosses I do remember, it’s nice to see some Shining Force representation and I think I agree about the last boss of SF, but the laser eye in SF2 isn’t so bad once you know how it works. The big tank in Valkyria Chronicles was a really memorable boss for me because things were already going wrong for me when it showed up but I somehow managed to pull it together and win first try. I would probably hate it if I’d lost. On the other hand, I don’t really remember the Shadow of the Colossus ones in the list but I do remember the one that’s in a lake and you have to climb on its head and steer it by hitting bumps on its head (I’m going from memory here, probably not accurate). I’m not sure if I found it difficult exactly but I got super frustrated that even once I’d figured out what to do it took me so long to do it that the game kept giving me hints even though I’d done the thing it was telling me to do.

I feel like difficulty is a pretty personal thing. Sometimes things that are famously difficult I find pretty easy. More often I get completely stuck on things that apparently nobody else ever had a problem with.

One of the most difficult bosses I remember was at the end of Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero?, a game in which your attack rate was determined by how fast you could push the button. I wound up resting the right side of the PSP on my desk so I could button mash better, and my right arm was sore for weeks afterwards. I don’t think any other game boss has physically harmed me, so that’s the hardest one as far as I’m concerned.

Alternatively, this:

Not technically a boss I guess, but the most challenging part of its game. The gif loops infinitely, but the real thing goes on for five screens and the slightest error will have you fall through the platform (they are intangible while rising and you have to alternate, also the flip screen vertical scrolling can throw off your timing) and back to the start of the stage.

2 Likes

I’ve beaten around 25 of these (I lost count somewhere along the way so give or take). The inclusion of a boss from Catherine sorta surprised me for some reason. I guess in my head I’m one of like 5 people who played that game, but thats clearly wrong! More than anything this list just made me realize how many games I don’t finish.

1 Like

No mention of Returnal, Dead Cells, or Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup? :face_with_monocle:

Not much of a list.

1 Like

Dunno about the entirety of this list – but there are at least some legitimately tough ones on here. Here are the ones I know for sure I’ve done:

100 Bowser - Super Mario 64
92 Malus - Shadow of the Colossus
85 Matriarch Benezia - Mass Effect
75 Mewtwo - Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow
69 Darklurker - Dark Souls 2
68 Shao Kahn - Mortal Kombat 3
65 Seth - Street Fighter IV
64 Manus, Father of the Abyss - Dark Souls
63 Psycho Mantis - Metal Gear Solid
60 Enchantress - Shovel Knight
55 Liquid Snake - Metal Gear Solid
52 Wood Man - Mega Man 2
51 Maneater - Demon’s Souls
50 Dirge - Shadow of the Colossus
49 General Raam - Gears of War
45 Grim Reaper - Castlevania
43 Artorias - Dark Souls
41 Death - Castlevania III
37 Death Egg Robot - Sonic the Hedgehog 2
33 Ornstein & Smough - Dark Souls
32 The Nameless King - Dark Souls 3
31 The End - Metal Gear Solid 3
27 Dracula - Castlevania
26 Isshin, Sword Saint - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
25 Goro - Mortal Kombat
21 Fume Knight - Dark Souls 2
19 Radagon & the Elden Beast - Elden Ring
18 Absolute Radiance - Hollow Knight
11 Demon of Hatred - Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
5 Sister Friede - Dark Souls 3
3 Malenia, Blade of Miquella - Elden Ring

I always liked in WoW to refer to stupid things that you could die to as a “skill check” or “boss,” like dying to the Frogger slimes in Naxx.

2 Likes

It’s fairly early in the game, chapter 6 or 7 I believe. You have to get through a lot of the anime stuff to reach that point so it can be time consuming to get there. I was relatively new to strategy games at the time which is part of why it was so bothersome, but that was my gamefaqs dot com days and I was not alone in being flummoxed. Maybe if you were better at them you wouldn’t have found its power as overwhelming as I did.

2 Likes

Interesting to note that of the 100 games listed here, only 6 are from arcade games; two being Mortal Kombat, two being Street Fighter, one being Tekken, and the sixth being Punch-Out!! – though for this one they surely mean the NES game. Not a single shoot-em-up in sight. The bias of the console gamer strikes again.

5 Likes

I just looked up Inbachi, a CAVE boss from a game released in 2012 which was first beaten in training mode on 360 in 2021 and first beaten on PCB yesterday.

Edit: actually the forum post about it I saw was from yesterday, it happened about three days ago.

2 Likes

The Prospector
Queen Zeal
Malus
Matriarch Benezia
The Batomys - Agree with @Garrett.exe that this one is pretty brutal, especially if (like me) you got too attached to your killable NPCs and didn’t want any of them to die. I think when I finally beat it I still lost one, though, after giving up on my goal of a perfect run.
Lavos - (First ending only, tho)
Rebel Flagship - Of everything on this list I think this one is what I’m most happy about. I love FTL but I never ever got very good at it. Took me forever to get this one and I was so satisfied when I did.
Psycho Mantis
Ultimecia
Liquid Snake
Maneater
Dirge
General Raam
Death Egg Robot
Goro
M. Bison - I assume they’re on here for the arcade version, but I only beat Goro and Bison on consoles. I remember on SNES at least Sagat feeling way tougher as a kid.
Emerald Weapon

Baal - This one’s a maybe. I played a ton of that game, but I can’t totally remember whether I actually beat it.
Wood Man - I thiiiiiink I’ve beat this one, but I never owned a Mega Man so they all kind of blur together from video store rentals/playing at friends’ houses.
Dark Link - I got to this one a bunch of times as a kid, but never beat it. Having to play the whole dungeon over again every time eventually wore me out.

I did better on levels than bosses:

No Russian (MW 2)
Olympus Heights (Bioshock)
Black’s Dice Palace (Gunstar Heroes)
Thunder Plains (FFX)
Train (Goldeneye)
Route 666 (Bayonetta)
Nova Prospekt (Half-Life 2)
Stranded on Eventide (Breath of the Wild)
Rainbow Road (Super Mario Kart)
Temple Ship (XCOM)
Hard Rain (L4D2)
Battle of Hoth (Shadows of the Empire)
Killer Croc’s Lair (Arkham Asylum)
World 8 Fortress (SMB 3)
Destroy Ship (Jak 2)
Great Palace (Zelda 2) - Except the aforementioned Dark Link, but I have beat the rest of the palace 10+ times.
Cultist Tower (FF6)
Library (Halo)
Wrong Side of the Tracks (GTA: SA)
Tutorial (Driver)
Burnt Rubber (Gears of War)
Path of Hades (God of War)
Final Level (Into the Breach)
Tubular (Mario World) - Nothing in this game is that tough, come on.
Mile-High Club (MW) - On hardest difficulty the final level is way harder.
Carpet Ride (Aladdin)
Dam (TMNT) - Not 100% on this, but I think I did.
Stage 1 (Donkey Kong)
Assault (Hotline Miami)
Alien’s Lair (Contra) - Only with Konami code tho.
Chamber 15 (Portal) - Pretty sure I used a walkthrough on this, shamefully.
Castle Water Hell (RE 4)
Through the Fire and the Flames (GH 3) - Not on the hardest difficulty tho.
Turbo Tunnel (Battletoads) - Not 100% on this, but I have a vague memory of a friend and I spending all afternoon brute forcing this game so I’m gonna guess we did eventually.

2 Likes

Who on earth beats mewtwo instead of catching her? They give you a master ball before you’re allowed to go into that cave too!

I beat 16 of them, and to be fair a few of them I think i beat, but can’t really remember because it’s been so long. It’s interesting to think that I don’t really usually hang on to feelings of a difficult boss fight as muh as the other stuff that goes on in a game.

100 - Bowser - Super Mario 64 (probably killed his ass dozens of times, he’s so easy)
94 - Queen Zeal - Chrono Trigger (beat a half a dozen times easy)
85 - Benezia - Mass Effect (I have almost no memory of Mass Effect 1, except i think I beat it in around 6 hours without exploring any planets on the mars rover, so I assume I beat her?)
81 - Velius - Final Fantasy Tactics (man I need to play this one again because I can’t place him)
77 - Gildenstern - Vagrant Story (come to think of it, I’m not sure I actually beat Vagrant Story)
76 - The Batomys - Valkyria Chronicles (this one was annoying as heck, and iirc, there were rocketeers all over the map too hitting you on all sides)
75 - Mewtwo - Pokemon Blue (Would never make my queen faint tho)
71 - Lavos - Chrono Trigger
62 - Ultimecia - Final Fantasy 8 (slay queen!)
60 - Enchantress - Shovel Night (Another one I think I beat but didn’t find that remarkable)
59 - Ginso Tree - Ori and the Blind Forest (this is a boss?)
58 - Giygas - Earthbound (at many times in my life, Giygas has taken on different forms)
45 - Grim Reaper - Castlevania (I thought this guy was harder than Drac)
42 - Culex - Mario RPG (the original “they put zack fair in kingdom hearts” moment)
40 - The Reaper - Persona 3 (can’t remember if I ever actually fought him or just avoided because he looked scary)
27 - Dracula - Castlevania (the only castlevania I’ve beaten)
4 - Emerald Weapon - Final Fantasy 7 (yeah basically)

5 Likes

?? Is this a typo

oh it is – Ginso tree my bad.

Looked it up and geez thats a bad mistake! I’d never heard that word before.

2 Likes

I decided to crunch the numbers (because I have nothing better to do with my time), and here’s what I came up with:

• Of the 100 bosses on this list, only 48 appear in games I have actually played.
  • Of those 48, 40 are story bosses required to beat the game.
  • And of those remaining eight, I have beaten…three. I’m generally not the type of person to go after optional content like this.

And to go on a subjective tangent, many of these bosses aren’t even that hard. They have a reputation for being hard, and in fact I suspect the list writer is playing off those reputations for SEO and gamer cred, but many of them are more manageable than that reputation would have you believe. Hell, the only Metal Gear boss who actually belongs on this list is fucking Senator Armstrong.

Summary

The bosses I’ve beaten, for the curious:

• Sephiroth
  • Dr. Wily’s Yellow Devil
  • Mike Tyson
  • M. Bison
  • Goro
  • Dracula
  • The End
  • Dark Link
  • Omega Weapon
  • Tyrant
  • Death Egg Robot
  • Death
  • Grim Reaper
  • Doom’s Bride
  • Spider Guardian
  • General Raam
  • Dirge
  • Wood Man
  • Liquid Snake
  • Silver Knight & Laser Eye
  • Giygas
  • Spider Mastermind
  • Ultimecia
  • Psycho Mantis
  • Shao Kahn
  • Darksol
  • Lavos
  • Nemesis
  • Hitler
  • Mewtwo
  • The Batomys
  • Guildenstern
  • Wiegraf/Velius
  • Cyberdemon
  • Shadow Queen
  • Vergil
  • King Krusha K. Rool
  • Malus
  • Tabuu
  • Queen Zeal
  • Senator Armstrong
  • Bowser
2 Likes

My score is 15 but I haven’t played From Games, most FFs, or KH. Also I’m bad at games

1 Like

Looking at the hardest levels, I feel much the same way as the boss list. There’s harder stages within the same game.

I’ve beaten the bike level and can say this, is instead the most challenging stage of Battletoads:
Battletoads-title

Committing your free time to playing Battletoads, instead of literally anything else is the most daunting of tasks.

8 Likes

Wow, I didn’t realize they put it at number 1. That’s bananas. Not only is the bike level not that hard, it’s also pretty fun. Can’t say the same for the ice level or those snakes.

1 Like

Donkey Kong, can go pretty hard when he wants to.

hqdefault-3783705617

1 Like

Our demonym is The Inserted. ||No it isn’t.||

I play all of my games on easy, I cannot answer this.

1 Like