Have you ever beaten a game while missing one of its key mechanics?

The first time I beat Bloodborne, I did not know you could upgrade weapons. I beat the final boss with a base Saw Cleaver.

>

@“ukigusa”#p108752 The first time I beat Bloodborne, I did not know you could upgrade weapons. I beat the final boss with a base Saw Cleaver.

Yo..... Holy shit

This happens to me all the time. The one that comes to mind right now is that I beat Death Stranding without knowing you could build stuff to get around like roads and the zip line things or even the little floating things that carry your stuff. I just struggled, tumbled and walked everywhere.

never parried in any souls game until Sekiro.. Went right back to not parrying in Elden Ring

This happens to me too. I usually see some mechanic and I just abstain from using it because it looks hard or unfun or something. Like breath of the wild I almost never rode a horse. Running around was fine enough for me. Or in a lot of RPGs that have status afflicting spells, I usually ignore those because they work half the time anyway. And definitely in RPGs that have items with the same effect as spells, I always ignore those.

Fun fact: I have beaten Dragon Warrior several times, but have not once rescued the princess.

I beat Mass Effect 1 without doing the planet scanning, visting optional planets, or reading the datalog (maybe there was 1 of each that you‘re forced to do? i dont remember). I was genuinely confused when I beat the game after about 10 hours and my friend was talking about playing for weeks and all this lore stuff that I didn’t get at all.

I got pretty dang far as a little kid playing New Super Mario Bros. Wii without understanding that you're supposed to hold the run button. I think one of the final levels requires you to run though, to get past a series of thwomps, and I got so stuck I finally turned to the instruction manual and learned. Turns out you can fumble your way through most of that game though, cause if you beef it too hard Luigi just shows-up to do it for you.

I think I already told this story elsewhere on the forums.

Kakariko Village is the very last place I visited in Breath of the Wild, besides Hyrule Castle and the Mystic Forest (for a reason that will become obvious later).

This means I tamed all four legendary beast-guardians, activated all the pillars, completed 90% of the shrines, bought a house, built an entire new village from scratch, found almost all of Link’s memories, completed the different trials at the corners of the map and collected hundreds upon hundreds of Korok seeds before I met <_googles the name_> Hestu the weird samba tree dude on the way to Kakariko.

Until you meet Hestu, you cannot upgrade your inventory space and it is not explained to you what is the purpose of the Korok seeds. So I spent most of the game with only five(?) inventory spaces for my weapons, which in turn had the positive effect of making weapon degradation extremely important and helpful, and forced me to leave behind many weapons and shields.

This accidental _shibari play_ also made buying the house probably much more important to me than to most players, as it was the only place where I could store (a few) cool weapons and shields.

I genuinely think BOTW is a better experience (or _an even better_ experience) with the additional constraint of not being able to increase your inventory, and learning very quickly to let go off the mental block of weapon degradation.

Now, for the actual downsides…

Until you meet Hestu, you also cannot enter the Mystic Forest (or whatever the English name of that giant maze-like forest), so I spent hours trying to parasail inside or find a hidden entrance nearby, to no avail.

And because Kakariko village is one of the last places I visited, this made a quest meant to be a tutorial quest stupidly hard.

In the game, you can find four great fairies which you are meant to wake up by giving them tons of rupees. If I remember correctly, each great fairy offers a special gift. The first one I found was the great fairy related to horses.

As a way to curb the player’s progress, each new fairy you awake requires expentionally more rupees. I think it goes something like 10 → 100 → 1000 → 10000 rupees.

Now, one of the great fairies happens to be near Kakariko village, and waking her up is part of a specific side-quest which doubles up as a tutorial and then opens other side-quests yada yada.

However, since I had already found and woken up the other three fairies before I went to Kakariko, I got stuck for a while, until I had collected 10000 rupees in order to complete the tutorial.

The first time I finished Dark Souls I played through without understanding that there was a summoning multiplayer component to the game so I never summoned anyone but the provided summons. I just thought it was supposed to be like that. I died so many times on The Four Kings. So many.

I think this is happening to me on the new old Fatal Frame. See those blue circles in the bottom left corner? No idea what they are or do. I‘m on chapter 10 of 12. Tried looking at the in game notes, no mention. Tried using the in game manual but it takes you to Koei Tecmos online manual for a different Fatal Frame. Oh well, hope they’re not important but maybe they do explain why all the enemies have so much health?

[URL=https://i.imgur.com/vVlL2TI.jpg][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/vVlL2TI.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

@“yeso”#p108771 I am great at parrying in all Souls games but Guard Counters in Elden Ring are a great alternative.

>

@“ukigusa”#p108833 I am great at partying in all Souls games

hell yeah

Got to the last stretch of levels of Popful Mail on the Sega CD before I learned that Elixyrs were the game's equivalent of a lives counter. I played through thinking Mail only had two lives for the entirety of the game.

I didn't beat it but I played Fallout 3 for several hours after leaving the vault forgetting you could use VATS.