Help Pick Our Game of the Year, and Best Games of All Time

We’re coming up to the end of 2020, which means it’s time for our annual GOTY and GOAT episodes! Here’s a form you can fill out to give us a hand.

https://forms.gle/YTsBhWqKeRexbSj79

I will never fully grasp the difference between an action game, an adventure game, and an action adventure game. But I tried my best.

I admit that I never had problems separating those but seeing the three categories at the same time short-circuited my brain.

With all of these genres that I couldn't think of any games for, I was surprised by the absence of puzzle games.

Wish I could have played more 2020 games (RIP Unto the end), but well, let‘s hope I can dig this year’s games because it seems it has been an awesome year considering how much games caught my attention.

Also, a very small doubt to all of you: would an anticipated access game launched in 2020 count in if you could choose a game from 2020, or would you rather pick a game that has officially launched the “definitive product” this year?

splitting action, adventure and action-adventure caused some head-wrapping, I don‘t know what the format of this episode is going to be but I smell some science happening. Even though I don’t think it was implying point n‘ click adventures I panicked and said Sam and Max The Devil’s Playhouse for adventure and uh…that game's never come up in a GOAT conversation before

anyway I'm good at thinking of games I like but struggle to call anything the best anything so all my picks were all terrible, oops!

The fact that best e-sports and best freemium game were actual categories makes me think there is some kind of joke involved. I had to google what a freemium game was and then decided to write “I don't even know what that is” on the box anyway lol

I am writing my answers out in all seriousness and I think y'all would accuse me of trolling.

lol I don‘t think I’ve played any 2020 games. This year I've mostly been playing old stuff on my RG350.

There are so many categories here I'm real curious to see how it shakes out! :)

@MichaelDMcGrath#10163 I always have difficulty understanding those genres myself. MobyGames has a genre definitions list and they have a hard time describing them too.
https://www.mobygames.com/glossary/genres

>

Action: Action games main mechanics revolve around one or more of the following:

> Accuracy

> Movement

> Quick Decisions

> Reflexes

> Timing

> This genre only applies to games that don't fit in the other action-based basic genres such as Racing/Driving, Role-Playing (RPG) and Sports. However, some games use a hybrid of genres and then a combination is allowed. This applies almost unique to the combination with Racing/Driving, e.g. the later Grand Theft Auto games (Action + Racing/Driving). Driving games that focus on vehicular combat as well, such as Wreckfest or the Mario Kart games do not receive the Action genre, they use the secondary genre Vehicular Combat instead.

>
>

Another rare combination is Action + Adventure where both traditional story and puzzle based adventure mechanics are combined with action sequences. This should not be confused with the Action-Adventure genre which is used as a marketing term. MobyGames does not use the genre Action-Adventure. Those games are always treated as Action games here.

>
>

Adventure: Adventure games emphasize experiencing a story through dialogue and puzzle solving. Gameplay mechanics emphasize decision over action. Puzzle solving usually revolves around combining or manipulating items to advance the story. Some sub-genres like visual novels often skip on the puzzle solving and focus fully on interactive narrative. The name Adventure stems from the game Adventure (a.k.a. Colossal Cave), and not to the unrelated film/book genre Adventure.

@hellomrkearns#10187 lol now I'm even more confused.

Anyway I put a shooter in action, a point in click in adventure, and a...well I'll drop the coy act. I put Zelda in action adventure. I think action adventure kinda just means a zelda.

@MichaelDMcGrath#10191 My thoughts exactly (my action adventure pick was Link's Awakening)

I really struggled to come up with many 2020 games I even played. The only big ones I remember were Animal Crossing, FFVII remake and Resident Evil 3 remake. I liked RE3 but it didn't make as big an impression on me as as RE2 remake (my 2019 game of the year!) FFVII was fine.

Honestly Animal Crossing: New Horizons is probably my GOTY! Cute as heck, just a really nice, relaxing time I've been able to share with a bunch of my friends, even ones that don't really play video games. My sister got a switch just so she could have her own island. I just got a message on Facebook from one of my coworkers wanting to give me her friend code so we can play together, so I guess I'm dusting my island off (I haven't played since summer). And man, did it ever come out at the exact, perfect time!

I'm glad I got to vote for Umineko twice on the visual novel and narrative categories hehe

I put in my answers.

Left a few blank because there were some genres I don't play.

I think I put Cave Story down for multiple categories. Great Metroidvania, Action Adventure, Platformer. H*ck

About to fill it out, seeing that we should be mindful of the action, adventure, and action-adventure differences so will do some reading first. Am curious to see where our collective position on the ‘Cyberpunk 2077 being a game of 2020’ question.

this is so hard because i really avoid thinking about things in terms of genres. i don‘t even know if i’ll be able to vote for anything.

I put down Ring Fit Adventure as goty and now realising it came out last year lol. I don‘t think I’ve played any new games this year, other than Persona 5 Royal, but that could be said to have come out last year too/is more of an expansion. Maybe Animal Crossing will have to default in

i think i put in Final Fantasy 7R for most categories, with the exception of anything Magic: Arena could have sat in for.

pathologic 2 ps4 released this year, and if it doesn‘t win will just be further proof of this forum’s extreme anti-slav bias

>

@siebold_magnolia#10229 Am curious to see where our collective position on the ‘Cyberpunk 2077 being a game of 2020’

if it's too late for geoff keeley's the game awards 2020, it's a 2021 in my opinion. Have to say given the vibes 2077 is giving off, I suspect it will be a moot point

Puzzle games!!!