Here we are again: the thread where we discuss the games we are playing in 2024

Wow dang now my kid beat Mother 3 and wants to go all the way back to Mother 1 if it can be patched into something reasonable to play. I think I remember seeing something to that effect but I’m impressed.

I wonder what’s next for her. Undertale maybe?

10 Likes

Just SNES and gameboy with my girlfriend this month:
She rules at donkey Kong country 1-3. Her favorite games. U played all the way through DKC1 this month. I only had Donkey Kong Land 1-2 as a kid and it’s her first time ever seeing them as I’m showing it to her. Took some gameboy camera photos on our trip and played DKL when she was working.

Now I just started Dragon Quest V finally.

DKC we mostly played on Nintendo switch. But now I’ve got my super famicom setup with a crt at the cabin we’re currently staying at.

5 Likes

There’s Also some other stuff I’ve dabbled in recently that I don’t entirely remember. One is I looked at the credits of the games Chameleon Twist and Chameleon Twist 2, childhood favorites that have a unique backwards facing 16-bit feel while being a true N64 style platformer, with a mysterious air about them.
Credits revealed pretty much the main game made by the same developers was just Chavlo 55 for Game Boy. So I gave it a shot and it’s very interesting as a very metroidvania style game. Mostly I was in it for the Chameleon Twist adjacent art assets. The devs also had history with other studios like working on Farland Story and stuff I think.

Anyone with info on the circumstances surrounding chameleon twist, @ me!

1 Like

Mother 1 easy ring patch is recommended. Also mother 1 is great to go next as it has a lot more in common with mother 3 at times than part 2 does!

2 Likes

homina homina animal well just doesn’t stop, every room is loaded to the brim

I can tell I’m having a good time when I got out the real life physical pencil and notebook

4 Likes

ok it has been five minutes since posting that previous post and in that time I have discovered a BIG THING

6 Likes

i’m at like 50 something eggs in animal well. i can confirm that even after the thrill of discovery has all but disappeared, it’s a pretty cool game to hang out in and hop around.

6 Likes

yeah I’m for sure in the post-credits zone and it’s getting juicy as hell, but also it’s a lot of checking out old things with new eyes so I can totally see possible burnout ahead. that’s a lotta eggs! but also I was a total maniac for like, fez and tunic so this is the kind of rare and disgusting hundred-percenting I can actually go for. not my usual thing: I for sure go hard in games when I enjoy them but I’ve only ever platinumed one game (dragon quest 11 (but the original version, not S? idk if there’s a difference)) but I am ready to suck the frickin marrow out of this one in a way that I only do like once every year or two

4 Likes

I put Yakuza 8 and balatro on hold for animal well, I’m in an oubliette within an oubliette within an oubliette rn

3 Likes

Besides my obsession with Hoyoverse gacha and trying to play the beta of Zenless Zone Zero, thanks to the fact that i liked Stellar Blade but i don’t want to pay 80 € for that game, i started Tomb Raider Definitive Edition… a 10 year old game, because included in Gamepass is a price i like a lot.
I like the game so far, but i’m amazed at the dissonance between a lady that has head shot like 100 guys but… hey… she is shivering and traumatized and still fragile.
It looks nice for a 10 year old game.

3 Likes

Besides my obsession with Hoyoverse gacha and trying to play the beta of Zenless Zone Zero also playing slot like here, thanks to the fact that i liked Stellar Blade but i don’t want to pay 80 € for that game, i started Tomb Raider Definitive Edition… a 10 year old game, because included in Gamepass is a price i like a lot.
I like the game so far, but i’m amazed at the dissonance between a lady that has head shot like 100 guys but… hey… she is shivering and traumatized and still fragile.
It looks nice for a 10 year old game.

I agree!!! Tomb Raider Definitive Edition is a great game, even 10 years later

1 Like

Guess I’m going to have to give Animal Well a spin. It was giving me Inscryption vibes, and I kind of despise that game. But y’all seem to like it and I trust the IC general populous!

In other news, I’ve been playing Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Mega Man Battle Network and attempting to play Jet Force Gemini.
FFTA and MMBN are just perfect little games. They’re snappy, not bogged down by too many mechanics or features, have great sound tracks, and are pleasant to look at. JFG is a really cool game that makes me feel like my hands have been replaced with lobster claws. Getting a handle on the general feel and controls of that game feels like pulling teeth, but I have a feeling once they click it’ll be a really good time.

3 Likes

Continuing to chip away at Animal Well, and after complaining here last time about not being sure if I knew where to go next, I vaguely remembered hoping out of a particular puzzle, so I went and solved it, and what do you know? It was the path forward to the yoyo. I’m not sure that I can credit the game with seeding my brain with vague memories or anything, but it was a neat kind of moment in what’s shaping up to be a game about neat moments.

I’ve been just a tiny bit disappointed with the game in general though, but in a way that isn’t the game’s fault: a good IRL games pal suggested this game to me by telling me it was a ‘low peril’ game, when I think she intended to say it’s a ‘no combat’ game. Because it sure is very much a high peril game. Pretty much constant peril!

It makes me wonder how possible a pure exploration game (zero combat, zero peril) would be, or if it would end up either being boring or containing secret or accidental peril.

6 Likes

I finished RE3 Remake the other day, a bit late to the game but it’s another backlog one down! I really enjoyed it, even though it was a bit shorter than I expected - but having played the original one on release and preferring it to 2, (yeah that’s just how I roll) I again preferred this to the RE2 remake! It felt tighter then the RE2R and less time spent running around to keep going back and forth, but just enough to make it a RE game. I missed a few items as I went along but that didn’t ruin the overall experience - although storage became a real pain in the behind.

I got a C rank on normal, which was fine for me, but I have no desire at all to go through it again to either improve my ranking or get more points for the shop. Did anyone else finish it and think “Well that’s over now”? Or did you feel the need to go through it again and if so, what made you - as I’m struggling to find a good reason to, which is a shame as I really did enjoy it. Usually I don’t go back to a game when the credits roll, which is probably best as they did in the donut shop (Easter Egg alert!)

Also Nemesis > Mr X.

5 Likes

i know what you mean–animal well, despite its secrets, is played straight which is something i really appreciated. my opinion isn’t novel by any means, but i was really disappointed by everything in inscryption after act 1 (which i thought was super cool).

5 Likes

DQXI is one of those perfect “wake up sick at 2am, cocoon yourself in blankets, and game until sunrise” games and that’s really nice.

7 Likes

bopping around between games again. i was playing gurumin 3d and will probably return to it, but i hit a point in the game where i felt like i got what it was about and that i got what i needed from it. it’s a cool game - i love the way the homing attack works, how out of control and random it can feel, and the way its encounters and environments are so full of character. it’s also deeply annoying to play on the 3ds because it runs like absolute garbage. i don’t even usually care about framerate but it really messes with the experience.

after that i did a replay of anodyne 2 because a bit in the angeline era demo reminded me of that game, and i wondered if the game would still work for me as well as it did the first time. short answer yes! i do wish it was a little more challenging, and the metagame aspects felt a little less compelling this time around. but that’s still a heck of a game, it’s so dense with ideas.

i played fatum betula for a little bit and enjoyed the vibes… but then i ruined it for myself because i looked up a walkthrough. turns out the solution to a particular puzzle was one i would’ve found organically (like, i had thought ‘what if i do [solution]’ before looking up the walkthrough). i’m mad that i didn’t just let myself get there; it feels like a big part of that game is letting things happen naturally. that’s totally a me problem though. i like how that game’s environments feel like weird screensavers.

i briefly picked up crusaders of centy on the ol’ switch online emulator, thought ‘this totally rules,’ and put it down so i could come back later.

finally, my main game right now is final fantasy: 4 heroes of light. i was hankering for an rpg but i’m not sure why this was the one that i pulled when i have, like, chrono trigger and baten kaitos origins and final fantasy 9 and undertale waiting for me. but i’m digging it! it’s so unbelievably charming, the soundtrack goes literally so hard. i’m still in the early stages of the game - still unlocking and upgrading my jobs, the party hasn’t fully reunited, etc - so there’s a lot of time for it to get stale, and i think its systems can feel a little restrictive at times. but it’s got a lot of interesting choices in it. and it makes me actually interested to play the bravelys, which is a big deal because i bounced off that demo hard back in the day.

10 Likes

I’ve been playing Gurumin on and off and I love it but it’s such a slog to progress. There are too many instances of a lack of signposting, and the 3D platforming is pretty terrible. I wish that there was a little less friction and I’d be compelled to finish it.

1 Like

yeah it’s a very frictiony game, i get that! weirdly that’s what i like about it? it feels like everything you do in it is incidental to its world, somehow it works for me as a whole package.

Yeah exactly. I heard there was a big twist (which there is) but I was hoping it was a major mechanical one. I wanted to be playing a fundamentally different game, which was not the case.

Put an hour or so into Animal Well last night, and that is a very smokable game, dude.

2 Likes