Here we are again: the thread where we discuss the games we are playing in 2024

Curious if any of you simultaneously play two mechanically similar games (like Persona 3 and 5, two metroidvanias, etc). I have a friend who frequently does this and am fascinated by it, I find myself wanting to do the same but it almost always results in me dropping whatever I started initially. Working my way through Dark Souls for the first time and around hour 50 I couldn’t resist the urge to replay Bloodborne any longer, now the idea of going back to DS feels like labor despite really enjoying it before. Am I doomed? Is there some secret trick I don’t know about? I fear my lack of self control has bested me again.

4 Likes

I can’t do this either. I’m so bad about this that I have to unsubscribe from Final Fantasy XIV when it’s not going to be the only third person game I play on console. I’d be in a boss fight in Elden Ring trying to zoom the camera out for a better view.

The two Personas I could probably do, I just wouldn’t. I’d play one through and then start the other. The rest of those my brain would implode I fear.

6 Likes

I could never do that! Unless it’s a short single-sitting arcade-type experience, I can’t even really do one genre after another even after completion. I wouldn’t play another puzzle platformer after just finishing Animal Well, for example. Playing another alongside it would have been completely out of the question. I need the time to digest!

4 Likes

you ever just hit Seventh Cross: Evolution on your handheld emulator roulette wheel and stay up till 4:30AM trying to kill a god damn crab so you can do some Darwinism and walk out of a dang pond?

2 Likes

Echoing the others, this wouldn’t work for me at all. Generally I pick games to play based on a kind of vibes-niche that I want to fill. Like I may want something that will challenge me and feel satisfying to overcome, something demanding less skill but narratively rich, then something I can just pick up and play for little sessions in my downtime. If I have multiple games on the go, they will all fill a separate niche. Like say a metroidvania, a JRPG and a puzzle game.

3 Likes

I have done this with turn-based RPGs but it’s kind of a symptom of being toward the end of the game and losing steam but still wanting to finish it, while also wanting to move on to something else. I don’t think I could start two games at the same time and give them equal attention. It also helps if they are visually or thematically different, but you’re kind of sacrificing your attention.

Speaking of which, I’ve been playing Pokemon Violet for the last couple of weeks, and have had a surprisingly good time with it. I think experiencing its faults two years ago has vaccinated me against getting frustrated by it again and instead I am just able to take what I want out of the experience. I beat the main story and have almost beat the DLC, and while it’s a pretty unexciting, poorly written and designed, and overall an underwhelming pokemon game, it also hit the spot for me. It’s fun to explore the world and catch the 'mons. It’s been an easy “low-brainpower” comforting game while I’ve been traveling and airports and hotel rooms. Though now that I’m settled back in, I think I’m ready for something a little more challenging. Maybe I’ll play some of that Animal Well everyone’s talking about while I mop up the end game of Violet.

5 Likes

I can’t even really play more than one game at once just generally. If I’m not particularly interested in what I’m playing I’ll try a couple things but as soon as I’m locked into a game I can’t play anything else.

4 Likes

I actually replayed Violet not too long ago after completing it at launch, had the opposite experience though. For all its flaws I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it when it came out. Upon revisit the world felt 10x emptier and I shelved it eventually. I find those games so frustrating because on paper it’s the best Pokemon game in a long time, if it had like 2-3 more years to cook it would easily be an alltimer imo. Really dug the format changes for the most part, I didn’t grow up with the series so I’ve never found its more obtuse hallmarks as charming as everyone else. I agree it’s a good low brainpower hang, I’ve heard nothing but middling to negative reviews about the dlc but I may pick them up eventually for my numbers go up fix lol.

4 Likes

I went a long period of never finishing a game I started so make a conscious effort to play one game at a time. I definitely can’t handle multiple long games at once but that’s just a personal thing. I’m the same with books while my partner can crush several in a week hopping between them. I try and switch around genres and game lengths too, so try not to follow a long JRPG with another just to ensure there’s no burnout. What’s nice is when there are clear Acts to break things up, take a break mid game, then circle back. Working well for me with DQXI but I couldn’t do more than dabble in Animal Well bc of the DQ pull. My partner will be away a few days next week so hoping to wrap DQXI Act 2 and spend some quality time with Animal Well/other games and a few nice bottles of wine lol.

3 Likes

I have Scarlet sitting on a shelf, waiting for me to play it, but I can sort of tell in my gut that I won’t enjoy a second run through Paldea the way I enjoyed Violet on the first run. The “only” people left playing are the people doing the 7-star raids they put out every month-ish, and while I do boot up to do those, I kind of resent them since I…don’t want my Pokémon games to be hard…and I could just not do them but somehow I must do them. My relationship with Pokémon games is very healthy.

Honestly though, I think it’s because I played Violet at the same time as my partner played Scarlet and there was a real hang-out-together vibe that we had the entire time, even when we weren’t doing Union Circle to literally hang out in the same game. (We accomplished the proto-version of this in Sword/Shield as well.) I’ve become the kind of person that enjoys Pokémon a lot more when playing it with someone else rather than solo; I pretty much exclusively played solo for the first three generations and only had the chance to play with others once I was in university. Thinking about playing alone just feels a bit lonely, and maybe even antithetical to the games themselves.

4 Likes

As much as I love Pokemon and happily buy each game at launch, I think I’m with you pretty much. Not with a partner but with friends and my brother. I know that I’ll have at least 2-3 people playing through it to talk to about it and discuss who we’re using and all that good stuff and that’s part of the fun for me. I don’t really replay the newer ones ever and when I do replay one it’s just your classic 10 hour run through of RBY usually since I know it backwards and forwards now.

Speaking of games on Nintendo that are easy, I randomly went and picked up Princess Peach Showtime at the library. I didn’t really want to spend $60 on this and I knew it would never go down in price, but I did want to see what it was like. I have to say that for as simple as it is, it’s actually kind of fun. I’d liken it to the video game version of watching an animated show for kids that makes you think “well, if they gotta be watching TV, I’m glad they’re watching this.” If kids are playing action platformers on Switch, I’d much rather they take Peach for a spin than play some licensed nonsense.

3 Likes

I played R3make when it came out and was disappointed but still kind of enjoyed it. A few months later I fired it up again and ended up playing it through about four more times. Without much effort you can get a run down to an hour (speed run record at the time was 47 minutes and I got to an hour without trying) and it’s a great hour! Was really nice to play through an hour of AAA over and over rather than 30 hours of bloat. Since you get new stuff each time you complete it, there was a trivial incentive that was just enough to put me on the rollercoaster a few times.

3 Likes

I can feel my time with Animal Well winding down. I’ve exhausted all my big hypotheses and now I feel a bit like I’m going over an atlas with a safety pencil.

Still extremely happy with my time with it, but I don’t think I’ll be getting all the eggs.

Right now, I’m just dabbling here and there looking for next thing that grabs me. Played a bit of IC Forum favorite The Case of the Golden Idol, but I got stuck on the first puzzle of chapter 2 and the game seemed to really not want me to use hints, so I may have to treat this one as more of a side thing that I poke at trying to make progress. Love the style and that mystery solving satisfaction, though.

I was also channel surfing MSX games and came across Mr. Ghost, where you’re a ghost who slams into things with your mighty ghost butt. It was fun for a lark. The butt attack is a rapid dash backwards, so you’ve gotta line stuff up with your butt, not your face. It was fast and fun and I think I only beat the two levels.

I keep seeing my Wizardry notebook and feel that game calling me back, but I don’t think it’s time just yet.

5 Likes

Now that’s a sales pitch! I was considering uninstalling it but when you say that, I think if I fancy a bit of running around (and away from) stuff for an odd hour I’d pick that up! Won’t be right away as I do have a new ish game to play now, but I’ll keep it around!

Thanks again for the new perspective on it =)

2 Likes

i was going to play REmak3 after reading the last few posts but then my game pass expired, oh well

Just DQV on original super fami hardware for me please… and ignore all other “gamer” culture in the meantime… I’ll be playing the best games ever made while everyone else is mourning the daily media sensationalism. There’s always great games to play, they just may not be playable on the only toys available for sale at wal mart.

2 Likes

Been a while since I’ve posted, but I think the last time I was on here I said something about dropping FF7 for FF7: Rebirth. Well I finished Rebirth a few days ago and I actually didn’t mind it. I’m not a big KH Nerd so I’m not familiar with how wacky that storyline can get, but I don’t think it was as bad as I’ve read other people describe it (I’m referring to it being “Tetsuya Nomura’d”, the first time I’ve seen that used).

I’ve moved onto FFX because I wasn’t ready to revisit FF7 to finish it (plus I think I have time between now and the third installment of the remake). Forgot how much I liked this game.

3 Likes

The real question here is: will a child be able to gracefully handle the anticipation that will come with only being able to play two chapters of Deltarune?

3 Likes

Holy shit, posting this summoned a Deltarune development update! Long story short is, no public release date for Chapters 3-5 yet but it seems the development is going swimmingly.

3 Likes

Very minor spoilers for Read Only Memories: Neurodiver

Enjoying the game so far, although I’m not too far into the main plot.

6 Likes