"I bet we can get a warthog through here"

Anyone who has played Halo 1 with a certain mindset is aware that you were only moderately impeded from taking your warthog from a “you should be driving here” section into a “you shouldn't be driving in here” section. As a result, the stage “The Silent Cartographer” became a key playground of my best friend, who looped me into a labor-intensive scheme to get somewhere we shouldn't. (This friend is the kind of gamer who can find three ways to break a game within minutes of sitting down with it.)

It turns out that if one person drives and the other gets out and wails on the back with their melee attack, you can wedge/clip your warthog through stupidly narrow corridors. This took a long time and there was a very rough science we had of sensing whether a certain angle of wheel turning and rear bumping would get us through. In this map, you can do this all the way into this deep interior area, which has a death pit. (I literally have no sense of what the story significance of this location is, it's just the place we would always try to go)
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/npjvRp5.png] (taken from: [this video of the stage](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SRNyy5TM5M))
As you can see, there are many layers of these thin platforms sticking out. You die if you try to jump down there.

The reason my friend wanted to get a warthog in here is that if you stand on the hood of a warthog as you go over the edge, the game registers your feet as being on a surface, so you don't get the "you've fallen too far, just die" trigger, and secondarily you can *sometimes* avoid falling damage and survive a landing on those thin platforms. If you're really lucky, you can get the warthog to stick around as well, though 9 times out of 10 it would spill over even if you survived. The job of the second player at this stage is to go around up top and attempt to trigger checkpoints whenever the drop was successful. I think we successfully did this down at least three layer's worth. We never made it to the bottom, but I think I have the memory of being able to see the silhouette of the warthog in the fog after it fell, so we were making headway.

There's literally nothing down there, but it was just an exercise in using a tool we shouldn't have access to, to get to a place that ought to be unreachable.

I'm curious to hear your own favorite stories of taking a game element beyond its designated area of use, any good-ol' intentional out-of-bounding, or other 'break the game for fun' shenanigans.

@“MDS-02”#p40962 the first that comes to mind is the developers breaking their own game if you either have the cheat or unlocked it: insanity bikes in road rash 64 turns road rash into a flight sim and my friend and i played it for days. we saw the world.

insanity bikes go insanely fast. everything becomes a jump, and you can stay in the air for a very long time. you'll get yourself places you wouldn't ever have had the patience to go with the sane bikes.