I guess it can't be helped: the anime thread.

I like Ao Ashi too. I just wish sports anime in general was more watchable.

Yeah, the anime feels kind of weak. I think this is the same case as Baby Steps in tennis.

I couldn’t get into blue lock, but I’m not super into a premise that’s designed around people backstabbing each other and being generally mean.

to @Karnovski if you’re into 90s anime (though half the stuff you mentioned is 80s, I understand where that’s coming from) the more recent ones I’m gonna recommend are haikyuu (good shonen), freiren (wandering around and doing magic), Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet (more nadesico vibes than the rest I’d say, about a world covered in water), Kaina and the Great Snow Sea (just neat ideas with a world that has interesting rules and a decent plot), and unwanted undead adventurer (a guy becomes a skeleton in a labyrinth and has to fight his way back to become a human)

2 Likes

Oh I’ve wondered about Blue Lock. I’m not huge into sports anime other than Haikyuu, but the premise sounds so good.

I’ve also watched Kuroko’s Basketball a bit. Not as good as Haikyuu, but kind of fun.

All i know about Frieran is that a lot of artists i follow on Instagram and Twitter love it or atleast the character design.

Gargantia and Kaina sound right up my alley.

1 Like

I rather enjoyed Ping Pong, the Animation back when I watched it. That may be the only sports anime I’ve seen now that I think about it.

But – that’s a good one! (I guess? I don’t really have anything else (yet) to compare against)

1 Like

In terms of sports anime, has someone mentioned Tsurune yet? It’s about kyūdō, Japanese archery, and it’s relative short, relatively low stakes, but interesting at the same time, I thought.

1 Like

Initial D if that counts.
I love initial D because you can get really into it despite not liking cars, drifting, or anime even.

3 Likes

but you MUST like eurobeat

3 Likes

There are movies now that summarize the series but has different music, which changing the music should be the 8th deadly sin, imo

1 Like

damn really? what’d they change it to? the (un?)official initial d soundtracks are more or less on constant rotation in my life.

1 Like

I was too afraid to even check. Eurobeat is life.

2 Likes

Nope, but I feel it’s a mixture of a spokon and a slice of life. Despite that, I loved the series, specially the first season.

The plot for me is kind of meh, but the way the worldbuilding works and is exposed is something else.

Also, may I recommend this one? It’s more coming out of a 2000s anime mixed with the iyasshikei thing, but it’s really good.

3 Likes

I just finished the series as well. It’s great!

Real good fights. Animation is better than Dragon Ball Z imo. Fantastic sense of weight and momentum.

5 Likes

Wow, Gargantia in the Verdurous Planet was an anime i watched when it released way back when, but it seemed to be one of those seasonals that dissapear from the collective consciousness fast. I do remember it having a fun robot and nice animation.

I think the only sports anime i completely enjoyed was Free! (Iwatobi Swim Club) because the swimming and the water animation was gorgeous. Also, boys love but they just look lovingly at each other, nothing explicit.

2 Likes

The Haikyu!! Dumpster Battle movie was good, for what it was. I understand this is a business but I do wish they had at least made the movie two hours long if this was how they were going to handle that match.

If you’re a fan of the anime, go check it out. If you haven’t read the manga yet, though, please do that first. The English translation from VIZ is actually really good.

2 Likes

I feel this fits best here. I’m moving the last of my things into the new studio.

At a certain point in my life I was compelled to buy every last particle of JoJo merchandise.

“Yes, I’ll take the JoJo sauce tray, please.”

6 Likes

it’d be funny if your jojo collection started and ended there

2 Likes

Finished Sousou no Frieren and liked it so far.
Then i read the manga till the current chapter and liked it a bit more.

Reminded me of Mushishi sometimes, but western medieval fantasy oriented.

2 Likes

I need to get in the headspace to watch Frieren. It has a very specific vibe that requires a very specific mindset that i haven’t had in a while.
The only 2 shows i’m really following are Studio Apartment, Good Lightning, Angel Included that is literally a throw back to harem anime from around early 2000’s, but modern. Extremely cute, extremely innofensive. Also Astro Note, that is a throwback to 80’s/90’s anime romcoms, with weird expressions you don’t see anymore. I guess this season for me had a very specifich theme.

2 Likes

I just finished watching Akiba Maid War. It’s like a 60–40 split of ‘70s Yakuza film homage and workplace comedy. I really loved it. I think it’s one of the best shows of at least the past couple years.

As someone hypersensitive to anything resembling fan service and actively annoyed by adult comedies that hinge on perverting children’s cartoons (ex. Happy Tree Friends, Drawn Together, anything popularly described as “MESSED THE F*CK UP” or “CHILDHOOD RUINING”), I was naturally pretty leery of an anime about bubbly maid girls shooting and stabbing each other.

But thankfully it’s not cynical like those other shows!! It’s actually got a lot of heart. The violence is hardly ever the punchline; and in fact it plays the gang war straight for the most part. The main cast is neatly characterized and supremely well-voice-acted (I’m not even a Voice Acting Enthusiast or anything—it’s just remarkably good here). And I think the pacing and structure are really excellent. It moves at a nice clip for a thirteen-episode series. Eminently watchable. And that’s what we in the biz call good TV. Simple as

5 Likes