ICFPS (IDKFA)

ALTERNATE TITLE - DOOM, WOLF, QUAKE AND OTHER FPS THAT MAKE YOU GO BOOM

The other day on the forum I mentioned that I am always playing some form of **Doom** or **Quake**. id has made some of my favorite games and it is amazing that many of their recent releases have been quite fantastic as well. **Wolfenstein: The New Order** and **Doom (2016)** stand out as updates that bring classic ideas to a modern FPS . **Nightdive** has also done some great work remastering a lot of classic FPS. I'm excited for **Star Wars: Dark Forces**.

Any other FPS fans on the forum?

I liked early FPS games, for sure. I'd played plenty of Wolfenstein 3D as a kid and later Doom, Quake (2) and some Duke Nukem and Serious Sam in the early 00s - boomer shooters, I guess. I fell off pretty hard during the PS2 / Xbox / Gamecube era otherwise with more complex games coming into the genre and generally becoming more exposed to other genres full stop (turn of the millennium was when I started playing JRPGs), and I rarely played much in the intervening years until three or four years ago when boomer shooters were having a resurgence in popularity.

Other than that, the closest I've particularly enjoyed outside of that subgenre is the Borderlands series, RPG games I'd consider them primarily. They feel satisfying to play and its cooperative focus is nicely in contrast to boomer shooters' single player focus.

Having said all of that, other than the likes of Dusk and Ion Fury, I don't really know what contemporary games there are that are especially interesting.

I mentioned earlier this year that I realized despite many hours of DOOM, I'd never played it properly. I played a lot of the fan port to jailbroken iPod Touch in middle school and played all/most of the way through the GBA version around the same time (both were good – but definitely not good indicators of Doom's full reality). Playing it at 60 on my big monitor with a mouse made me fall in love with it all over again.

I played a bit of the _Turbo Overkill_ demo recently and liked that and want to go back and get the game when I'm financially allowed to buy another game.

I love FPS games. I was in 4th grade when I played the shareware version of Doom and Wolfenstein 3D on our new Packard Bell. I was obsessed with Doom though. Loading up DOS and running doom.exe felt so cool. Was my first foray into violent and horror themed games (my didn't allow me to play MK but Doom was fine???) and it felt like I was getting away with something when I played it.

From there it always felt like a new FPS was there to push the next gaming further. My chronology for influential FPS games was:
Doom > Quake > Turok > Goldeneye > Turok 2 > Half-Life > Halo > TimeSplitters 2 > Metroid Prime > Call of Duty 2 > Half-Life 2 > F.E.A.R > Crysis + Halo 3 + Modern Warfare > METRO 2033 > Bad Company 2 > Far Cry 3 > Doom 2016 > SUPER HOT > Wolfenstein II > Deathloop

I played most of sequels to their games as well.

Some of the newer games I want to play:

• - Trepang 2
  • - Turbo Overkill
  • - Ultrakill
  • - Robocop
  • - Prodeus
  • - Severed Steel
  • - System Shock Remake
  • - Hrot
  • - Dusk
  • Older ones I need to play:

• - Deus Ex
  • - System Shock 2
  • - No One Lives Forever (1+2)
  • - Dying Light
  • And a bunch more!

@“copySave”#p139698 SUPER HOT is rad. Dusk is good as well. I also have Prodeus on my to-play list and am hoping that the System Shock Remake and System Shock 2 Remastered come to PS5.

One of my earliest video game memories is watching my stepdad play Doom for a few minutes before I was told that I was too young to be watching that. So, Doom is one of the coolest games ever made.

I feel like my overall taste in FPS games is pretty basic. Half Life, Doom, Wolfenstein (somehow not Quake). Red Faction 2. Borderlands (don't @ me).

The retro shooter resurgence hasn't really spoken to me yet. I don't know if this sounds weird, but they all seem really... masculine? Like macho kinda? Or maybe that's just a false impression I have. Although, I did see Beyond Sunset recently and it looks rad to me. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1665260/Beyond_Sunset/

I think FPS games are a genre I like, but not a genre I've explored much.

I‘m a big weirdo - I have mentioned on the show that I generally play all the big budget FPS that have single player campaigns, I like that weird Turok, I like doom 64, I like the new wolfensteins, all that stuff. I just never talk about them or have much to say about them!? They’re kinda like a game you get through when you want your brain to go somewhere else, for me? I feel like I play them without paying attention. It‘s weird! I have opinions about turok, doom, prey, doom 64 and others, but I don’t feel like they‘re at all interesting because I’m not as “into” the genre as others are, despite the fact I generally do play them when they come out. Anyway I'm gonna play the new call of duty in a few weeks lol.

>

@“Mnemogenic”#p139717 The retro shooter resurgence hasn’t really spoken to me yet. I don’t know if this sounds weird, but they all seem really… masculine? Like macho kinda? Or maybe that’s just a false impression I have.

Not a false impression at all! However 'ironically' it's been played up from the beginning -- at least from _Duke Nukem_ to _Bulletstorm_ onward -- the macho/dudebro aesthetic is inscribed pretty deep into the genre's DNA. At best, it's a neat aesthetic shortcut that puts you in just the right mindstate to shoot everything that moves, but at the cost of turning off the critical-thinking parts of your brain, like @"exodus"#p139725 describes. At worst, it's just gross and off-putting.

A great game that avoids this on several grounds is [**Fashion Police Squad**](https://www.fashionpolicesquad.com/), which makes you fight a whole slew of distinct fashion crimes using exactly the right tools for the job. Recognizing which fashion crime requires which fabric-altering gun (sewing needle shooter, super soaker?) adds an extra layer of thinking to the run n' gun formula, and after you've 'defeated' an enemy, they dance around and thank you for being so kind. It's got fun platforming too, and a belt-whipping mechanic.

I’m mostly just bad at the act of pointing accurately so I’ve never really gotten fully into FPS, but wanted to bring up Devil Daggers and HYPERDEMON as a flavor of this space. The effect those games achieve with the format, making the player have a strong internal mental tracking of motion of all these enemies around them, is really awesome. The totally extreme visuals of HYPERDEMON are something I know many people immediately flee from, but it shows a bold willingness to play with what information can be conveyed from a first person perspective in a way that I would love to see more.

Plus the cultural ‘norm’ of gaining speed by bunnyhopping is just kinda hilarious.

I hate memes but boy howdy this one really sticks in my head

[URL=https://i.imgur.com/eZ6yjF6.jpg][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/eZ6yjF6.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Some updates to Half-Life for its 25th anniversary.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/11/17/23965754/half-life-25th-anniversary-update

I’ve watched this twice already. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDBDI35NjQg&t=3182s&pp=2AHuGJACAQ%3D%3D

1 Like

@“tomjonjon”#p146145 Noah always makes some of my favorite videos of any given year and this one was no exception. I am midway through Quake 2 this year and mannnnn did this video make me want to jump ahead to the later campaigns. It also put 4 on my list for next year.

“If only you could talk to these creatures, then perhaps you could try and make friends with them, form alliances… Now that would be interesting.” - Edge, April 1994

1 Like

I played Golden Eye, Half Life, and Quake 2 this year. All have their place in history, but other than some poor signaling about where you need to go / do, Quake 2 is the only one that still holds up. The rhythms of combat are superb. And the encounter designs are excellent within the level. If it weren't SO labyrinthine at times it would be in my top 5 GOTY contention

Replaying the original Quake levels and sweet sassy molassy those Sandy Peterson levels are a slog. Just populated with the most annoying enemies. The spawn and vore are highly irritating. Speaking of the Quake bestiary, there are quite a few enemy types but it somehow feels like less than Doom. Can't put my finger on why that is.

@“tomjonjon”#p147584

I know what you mean. I think part of it is they made a bunch of enemies that are used as "bosses", like the Vore and Shambler so they had less to sprinkle out as regular enemies or mid level enemies. It feels like it's lacking in the Baron of Hell, Mancubus, or Revenant tier of enemy that they can use less than an ogre or knight but more than an end of episode boss.

Plus the spawn was a waste of resources, like you said it's unbearable lol. Same with the zombies. Just annoying to deal with. The time and resources on those two could have been more versatile enemies.

@“Osu 16 Bit”#p147587 A reflection of Quake's rushed and strange development.

On the final level of the main Quake 2 campaign. This is some BS! So many enemies spawn from behind you without warning. Just scumming saves to make it through. On the whole I can see why folks liked this game on release in ‘97, but I’ve found it to be a mildly fun slog. Quake 1 has some stupid difficulty spikes as well, but makes up for it with its creepy vibe and excellent soundtrack.

I think I'm going to try out some id Tech 4 games after this. **Prey (2006), Doom 3, Wolfenstein (2009)** and **Quake 4** are all games I own for 360. I've finished **Doom 3** back on the **OG Xbox** and made my way to the last boss of '09 Stein in 2010, but have spent much time with the others. Looking forward to some dark and moody tech-horror!

@“tomjonjon”#p147965 The palace right? It such a mixed bag. It is awesome to be working on multiple portions of this huge level. But then it becomes a labyrinth. There's a weird mix of the enemies just coming from out of nowhere or behind hidden doors but then later you are running around just an entirely empty world. I think maybe the moments when combat popped of really landed for me, so I could put up with the rest. Ideally the Machine Games campaigns solve the level design problem and lean more into the combat.