Interactive media (Tim Rogers on books)

Games are also at their best when they‘re interactive in the ways we’ve mentioned books can be interactive. Something that Will Wright or Sid Meiers or one of those guys have said repeatedly in talks is that “We develop our games so they run on the most powerful computer of all: the human brain.”

+1 on @"yeso"#p99666 's recommendation of Iser. I only read one article by him for a class, but it was very interesting, and unlike some literary criticism, inspired my imagination and made me want to write more fiction. Specifically it motivated me to approach writing fiction as creating a world in the reader's brain that they can imagine and do with as they please, rather than simply telling a story that moves from point A to point B. The important part of this is it can be true for ALL types of fiction, not just fantasy, sci-fi and other genres that we typically associate with world-building. For me one of the best examples of world-building in realistic literary fiction is Snow Country. I think about the places and people described in that book constantly, nearly 10 years after reading it. In many ways it's more real feeling to me than, say, Yakuza's Kamurocho.

Is folding the page corner down instead of reaching for and placing a bookmark the quick saving of reading books? (Assuming that the game keeps a dump of quick saves and doesn't overwrite one save because folding the corner down leaves a permanent mark, thanks)

Is taking a sharpie and marking the physical location on the disc that corresponds to the data for the level you were at the folding a page corner of video games?

>

@“saddleblasters”#p99843 one of the best examples of world-building in realistic literary fiction is Snow Country

not to quibble bc I'm sure we mean the same thing here, but this is an example that's directly at odds with the concept of "word-building" bc it's spare and atmospheric rather than maximally detailed. And yes it's made more real and affecting because us readers have to put our individual minds into it in order for the whole thing to operate

@“yeso”#p99863 yeah, i think this is an instance of me not actually knowing what the phrase “world building” usually denotes lol

I could be misunderstanding too. I just associate it with lore and shit like that. But I know exactly what you mean about Kawabata (Thousand Cranes in my case)

If you asked me I‘d say that world building includes more sparse/atmospheric/abstract executions of doing so. So long as it’s a fictional world and its existence and/or properties and/or individual elements it contains matters to the story, it must be built to some degree. I can see why the sort of mode of worldbuilding that includes authors doing shit like creating a detailed constructed history or establishing physical/natural laws is what becomes most associated with the term, but, I‘d say even fairly realistically grounded genre fiction that constructs its own real-world-inspired city or culture is world building, even if it’s to be assumed that 99% of the world and its history is just the real world. You're still having to construct what the real world would be like if you were to include this constructed place and constructed history.

Like it'd be weird to me to say that a book like _The City & the City_ didn't have world building you know