Kunio-kun 35th anniversary

I grew up playing a lot of Kunio-kun games since I had a Famicom as a kid. Right now the Japanese eShop is doing a 100-yen per game sale and I'm looking forward to jump back into some of these.

You guys have any favorite Kunio-kun games?

I played a shit ton of Downtown Nekketsu March Super-Awesome Field Day! on the Game Boy. This action-racing-platform game is unlike any game I've played. I loved the obstacle course.

Downtown Special: Kunio-kun's Historical Period Drama! is another favorite of mine since it has this quirky period setting.

had lots of fun with river city ransom of course and that dodgeball game. Also enjoyed the recent jean pierre Melville x kunio “Arrest of a Stone Buddha”

@yeso#31379 wow…I thought you were joking.

@yeso#31379 Haven't played Stone Buddha. But I liked Friends of RIngo Ishikawa.

Kunio rules. Like most North Americans, I got into his games with River City Ransom. I also played Double Dragon II - Game Boy, but only realized much later that it was a Kunio game (Nekketsu Kōha Kunio-kun: Bangai Rantō Hen).

but then dove into the ROMs.

Downtown Special is fun, but I remember the map being a bit confusing. Might try it again with a guide in hand.

Super Dodge Ball on Neo Geo is impressive with big big sprites, but I can't remember if it was actually much fun.

Crash n' the Boys Ice Challenge is really good. Possibly the best hockey game on NES?

Nekketsu! Street Basket: Ganbare Dunk Heroes is a fun and really weird take on basketball.

Nekketsu Kakutō Densetsu is a fun 1-4 player arena fighter.

Crash 'n the Boys: Street Challenge ....I never really liked.

There's been so many Kunio games that have come out in recent years I can't keep up with what the good ones are.

The Double Dragon & Kunio-Kun Retro Brawler Bundle is a pretty accessible collection for jumping into Kunio-Kun if you‘ve got a modern console – I love the current trend of western territories getting officially endorsed localizations for the very first time, & there are a few on there. It feels really special when that happens. And if you’re like me & don‘t speak much Japanese, translated ROMs of the Super Famicom games are easy to come by – I’ve played a bit of two of them & I don't know how well regarded they are by the Kunio community, but I love that era of Kunio in particular. Just feels like a stylistic culmination in a series that rides so hard on style.

Also seconding the recs for Friends of Ringo Ishikawa. Just chill with that game & a cold Ramune & you are good to go.

I have all these on my backlog, the one I've played most is the super famicom one where you break out of jail at the beginning. I love the feeling of playing an uncensored SNES game about yanki.

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/ZtNxMFi.jpeg]

Just got a hard copy of my favorite!

@“treefroggy”#p34680 wow! River City Girls Zero!

https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1565926784692264961?t=I3PpmPIiqtAv7Fv5twKD5A&s=19