let's get a fort nite battle royale group going

come on itll be fun. miscellaneous fort nite discussion here. is there always a thread. every basic model in this game has a real plasticy quality for it making me think these guys grew up playing with gi joes…the aesthetic is even very similar. paramilitary versions of everything from fitness inspo instagram women to game of thrones superhero guys with assault rifles. real videogames are happening here and it might too late

I‘m often thinking about how rad it would be to play games with the people here, but for a bunch of people who devote a whole lot of time for videogames, we don’t like, play em together often

fortnite battle royal is the only videogame you can vaporize rick sanchez with a kamehameha as harley quin

The way that a colleague of mine talks about her experience of playing Fortnite as a genuine addiction hasn't exactly given me the impression of being a game that I want to entertain with a modicum of my cognition let alone play.

(But don't let me put you off).

I heard they added a mode without the building part and it kinda made me want to try it again

the brand bonanza stuff is the most interesting part to me. fortnite seems to hinge a lot of popularity on it, or it's just smart marketing. i definitely was not thinking about dragon ball z again until the fortnite memes about it started cropping up on social media, infecting me like a virus (dragon ball z is good) but as a cultural katamari eventually fortnite has to have everything

@“Syzygy”#p83068 I‘ve no doubt that there’s a pretty decent game underneath, I agree. However whenever I hear, for the lack of a better term, casual, videogame players, such as my colleague, talk about it and their prevailing description is that it‘s addictive I can’t put my thoughts of it beyond it being a socially acceptable form of exploitation that‘s targeting people who aren’t over-exposed to microtransaction horror stories and/or see a free game as a purely financial alternative to retail games.

I mean, I have a _lot_ of thoughts on this subject matter, that I would need a whole different thread for, that stem from the earlyish days of World of Warcraft and seeing how games designed to be addictive to maximise a continuous stream of income affect people (in this case one of my closest friends that I'd gone to school with and then lived with for 8 years) not just financially but mentally, socially, professionally and more over a period of numerous years.

(But don't let _my thoughts_ put anyone off having fun with Fortnite).

@“LeFish”#p83092

>

seeing how games designed to be addictive to maximise a continuous stream of income affect people (in this case one of my closest friends that I’d gone to school with and then lived with for 8 years) not just financially but mentally, socially, professionally and more

[Tim Roger's old insert credit article "Who Killed Videogames (a ghost story)"](https://web.archive.org/web/20120128084303/https://insertcredit.com/2011/09/22/who-killed-videogames-a-ghost-story/) about the dark machinations behind addictive "Social" games (from the days of Facebook games) is a great read about exactly this. Might be my favorite ever peice of games journalism.

@“Moon”#p83119 i completely forgot about this article and am excited to re-check it out. the most interesting experience so far has been hearing that my friends and other journalists; people who are absolutely willing to lock into Apex Legends or Halo Infinite or Final Fantasy 14 (less) are completely flabbergasted as to why anyone would want to play this videogame

we are of course under a deluge of battle royale games so i'm very interested in all of this “be number 1” shit

@“kowloonwalledcity”#p83199

@"LeFish"#p83092

[I created a new thread for discussion of the Battle Royale genre. ](https://forums.insertcredit.com/d/1804-battle-royale-disambiguation-thread)