Let's play the same free MMO for a day - Brainstorming (Calling All MUDsperts)

@“Gaagaagiins”#p82979 [upl-image-preview url=https://i.imgur.com/U2DZSsU.gif]

@“treefroggy”#p82995 when I thought of this MapleStory immediately came to mind, but I wasn't sure if it was still relatively easy to create an account/install/run, as well as free to do so.

Definitely adding it to the pool of candidates.

@“dicegame”#p82996 Unless you have already alighted the Goblin Signal and all is lost, perhaps I will call upon you to throw it that way once we‘re at the point where we’re picking a game/schedule!

LOTRO fits many of the criteria, and at least I‘d find that fun, but travel is restricted heavily, it’s a large file size, and (I believe) new characters are locked into a starting quest that takes some time to get through. Despite this I'll throw it out there for consideration.

>

@“Syzygy”#p83006 You would be better off playing a Maple Story fan server rather than the official one and you’d have to play a FF11 fan server because the official one is not free.

I'll add them to the list of games worth considering, but with an asterisk, for the reasons you've provided.

The logic behind my criteria is that I wouldn't want to presume anyone's comfort/familiarity/capability to access stuff through anything other than 100% legit channels and normal installers and not needing a VPN or whatever. I mean, I've poked around on a private _World of Warcraft_ server before, but that's me.

>

@“Syzygy”#p83006 I am, I guess, extremely familiar with online games and free-to-play and MUDs, to a point where the idea isn’t exactly novel for me. I used to run a blog where I would play a different F2P MMO for a month at a time; talking about EoS, FlyFF, L2, Aeria Games, Game Hollywood, etc., etc.

Your participation would of course be greatly welcome, but if it's not something you're interested in, you don't gotta feel obligated just based on your expertise on the gameplay model. That being said, I think myself and others would consider any game recommendations you have into heavy consideration.

>

@“RubySunrise”#p83022 LOTRO fits many of the criteria, and at least I’d find that fun, but travel is restricted heavily, it’s a large file size, and (I believe) new characters are locked into a starting quest that takes some time to get through. Despite this I’ll throw it out there for consideration.

Actually, I thought of this too, based on spending a night or two dicking around on it.

_Lord of the Rings: Online_ - Pros and Cons

**Con**

• - We would probably have to democratishly decide on everyone choosing the same starting race/class, which might mean we all end up as Hobbits for a day or something
  • **Pro**

• - We would probably have to democratishly decide on everyone choosing the same starting race/class, which might mean we all end up as Hobbits for a day or something, which would be _hilarious_
  • Also, you know, let's assume that if we end up doing this, we end up doing it more than once. So, you know, I think I will likely throw together a Google Poll to zero in on a game to choose first once we have, I dunno, 3 near ideal choices and at least that many if not that many plus a few more decent-but-not-ideal choices.

Oh dang, I looked up the games you were referencing @“Syzygy”#p83006. Considering I was able to create a guest character and immediately start playing out of a browser in, like, less than a minute, Flyff Universe is worthy of consideration for this.

>

@“Syzygy”#p83045 Hate to be a killjoy, but that’s what I come away with having long history in the genre.

Fair point, entirely.

I'll admit I used the sort of language that would invoke this association, both in the thread title and in some of my posts here. And, well, I can't lie and say at least my vision of _some_ chaos, _is_ partly where I think it would be fun, and partly why I thought of the Goblin Bunker.

That being said, my version of chaos probably isn't everyone else's version of chaos, especially with regards to being a nuisance to other players. I mean, I think my version of chaos would just be, like, being in a private chat channel, but just being an abnormally large group of freshly created characters, going about the game in the intended fashion. Basically, to experience it but in a communal way.

In other words, trolling and mobbing some random MMO is _not_ what I intended at all, and I'm not interested in doing it just to cause a ruckus. I'll both own up to that as well as correct the language I used which might have suggested that. I'd want to do this purely with intention of engaging with the games in good faith and out of interest for the games on their own merits, and, well, if that's not what other people were interested in, I won't be continuing to organize this.

@"dicegame"#105 , with this in mind, uh, could you please let me know how much or how little this was relayed to the Goblin Bunker, so far? I am the one with foot in my mouth here, so, I'd like to know how big of one I will potentially need to remove.

[“Let’s invade the same free MMO for a day - Brainstorming (Calling All MUDsperts)”,“Let’s play the same free MMO for a day - Brainstorming (Calling All MUDsperts)”]

As I understood it this was more about a community activity and the “chaos” (positive connotation) inherent in getting people to try to collaboratively play a game they may be unfamiliar with. That being said my own interest here is just in a likely short-lived jolt of good ol' multiplayer fun

It is good to be reminded of disruptive mob behavior—sounds like you're thinking this already Gaagaagiins but I would want to pull the brakes if the greater Goblin Bunker were involved (there are a lot of Goblins, right?). I'm imagining _maybe_ 20 people will want to and be able to do this. That doesn't seem like a huge or harmful number to me—is this inherently distasteful?

>

@“captain”#p83062 It is good to be reminded of disruptive mob behavior—sounds like you’re thinking this already Gaagaagiins but I would want to pull the brakes if the greater Goblin Bunker were involved (there are a lot of Goblins, right?). I’m imagining maybe 20 people will want to and be able to do this. That doesn’t seem like a huge or harmful number to me—is this inherently distasteful?

To me, the Goblin Bunker is largely unfathomable. I have access but don't really go there. With all due respect to the Bunker, I have experience and decided (even if that's mostly based on superficial impressions) that it's, well, not _exactly_ my scene, at least not in the way these forums are my scene with laser precision, but that I'd still be relatively more comfortable there than I would be in _most_ other online spaces, while pointing out how low of a bar that is, relatively speaking.

if by 20 you meant just from the forums, that seems like a very generous estimation of us mobilizing for a sort of event thing in real time, even if a few of us bring a personal friend or two. My yardstick for the raw numbers of regulars here is usually based on the Adjective & Adjective Polls, which seemed to get a few dozen at least and a few dozen more at most, and not in any active way. If you meant 20 of us including the Goblins, I'd depend on @dicegame to fathom the ways of the Bunker and to know at what numbers and in what sorts of modes of behavior the Bunker can be mobilized or has been shown to mobilize in.

My understanding of the idea is also as a social gaming thing, not a mischief-making venture. 20 does not seem like a mob, but it likely depends on the game. I also think 20 is more than would join, tbh.

I'm not a super active player, but I've played a fair amount of LOTRO and I think it'd be fine to have a Shire hangout, we'd just have to not play on an RP server. But also it seems like there are much better options proposed already!

@“Syzygy”#p83006 I was going to mention a private classic maple sever, but only because that’d be cool. But I didn’t mention it because that would require more out of everyone. I don’t think there’s much benefit from a private server aside for it being cool. Maple is still live, unless I missed something. It’s also really fast newbs and everyone to get into!

@“treefroggy”#p83069 let's say, if you can hypothetically make a step by step guide for installing and logging in to a private server instead of an official one, whether or not it would be suitable would depend on how many more steps it has or how complex any individual ones are compared to an official entry point. Also how precisely you or someone else could create a guide on how to do it, too.

I imagine having to grab a specific installer that you were to provide a link to and plugging a few specific numbers into an interface isn't _too_ alienating...

@Gaagaagiins I haven‘t relayed anything to the goblin bunker and i’m leaning towards just letting this idea cultivate here.

@“Syzygy”#p83045 lmao, true !

@“Syzygy”#p83086 oh, in that case, I’m already well aware, and have a more nuanced opinion of the current state of the game. I have played it recently enough to know that while yes, classic maple is a different experience, the current state is actually much better, contrary to internet groaners. It also hasn’t stripped out the old stuff that much, even. The progression is way faster and far less Grindy! The main thing is you need to select the classic adventurer class instead of the story based classes. I put this thought into my post and decided that the current state of things would still be ideal for an IC play sesh!

I played on a classic server before too, and found it similar to the old days— including the extreme tedium and grinding the same quest over and over!

playing the modern version was a blast, I had never progressed so quickly in any online game, and was still able to tour all my favorite old haunts, do classic quests, dress however I liked and pick one of the old jobs.

Classic Ragnarok Online is also FTP.