Martin Scorsese's World Interactivities Project

Lately I‘ve been trying to make a concerted effort to explore more of games history outside of the obvious countries of origin: US, Japan, UK, France, Canada, Germany, etc. I watch a lot of movies from all over the world, but I don’t have a ton of visibility into a lot of games that are developed outside of the same small handful of countries that we see most often. I want to expand that. I remember several years ago, back when Drew Scanlon was still at Giant Bomb, he brought a game to their weekly live show Unprofessional Fridays, that was an action RPG made in I believe Kenya, if memory serves? It was the first time I‘d knowingly seen a game made in Africa. But I know they’re happening! People make games everywhere. That‘s part of why Drew left to start Cloth Map, which was more or less an Anthony Bourdain style travel documentary to explore games culture around the world, in places that don’t see nearly as much attention usually. I have a friend who is a solo developer in Ukraine making excellent, stylish dungeon crawlers with incredible soundtracks. There were those Magna Carta games on PC and PS2 developed in Korea, the Sword & Fairy series developed in Taiwan, and I know Rami Ismail meets developers from basically every corner of the Earth in his travels.

[Martin Scorsese's World Cinema Project](https://www.film-foundation.org/world-cinema) is a collaboration with Criterion to find and distribute films from all over ther world, throughout the history of the medium. The current front page alone has four films from Senegal in the 60s and 70s. I've never once heard of a game made in Senegal.

I figured if there was anywhere I could go to find any information on or names of games or studios or individuals in the less-obvious parts of the world, this might be it? Maybe? Would anyone be interested in going on a weird research journey with me to see what we can find?

I'm not the person who will be much help with regard to this, but I sure am interested in what you find.

@“andrewelmore”#p94085 there's ice-pick lodge, renowned for pathologic, from russia.

aren't the _inside_ people out of denmark or something?

Maybe this isn‘t a particularly constructive comment, but I was surprised to see Korea and Taiwan listed as examples of countries with lesser known game industries. Just speaking in financial terms, I’m not sure if Germany has a larger game industry than either Korea and Taiwan – and while France and Canada‘s are both probably larger than Korea’s, I'd argue Korea has had a larger cultural impact globally (Korea was for a long time the king of free online games – which for many people is the entirety of their experience with games). Not going to bother looking up statistics because I know there are people on this forum who can pull out the relevant numbers much faster than I can lol.

I guess you can make a better case for Taiwan's game industry belonging to your list, since even the sort of people who post on this forum can probably only name a handful of Taiwanese games on average -- but part of that is because a larger portion of Taiwanese game developers work in a more infrastructural role on games that are primarily credited to companies based in other countries. I might be misunderstanding the question slightly, but I get the sense that you're more looking for games developed in countries which don't have an established game industry that is deeply connected to the massive globalized game industry that has its central hubs in Japan, America and Western Europe?

(Part of why I'm bringing this up is that if Korea and Taiwan count as "World Interactivity" then half this thread will fill up with Korean and Taiwanese stuff -- the same way many discussions about world cinema end up naturally lingering on India, Japan or the various Chinese language countries whenever they're allowed to count as "World Cinema", simply because those are places that actually have massive film industries.)

Awhile ago I came across this game in development by a developer based in Egypt. Once the early access opened up and it sounded near unplayable, I stopped paying attention as closely. It seems there haven‘t been any updates since this early access release in 2020. I hope they’re still working on it!

Just now, I found this game on[ itch.io](https://senegalgame.itch.io/senegalgame) from Senegal. I don't read French so I don't know what it says, but I think it's a game from a coding school in Senegal?

I'd be so down to do a deeper research dive! I'll keep posting here when/if I find stuff.

Oh looks like the actual most recent update from Rumble Game Studio is a job posting seeking a “blockchain expert.” Nix my excitement about that one.

This is definitely an eye of the beholder type situation because Korea and Taiwan have hugely influential game industries proportional to their size. Most of us in the West won‘t have played games from Iran, but when I went there I found not only loads of games and devs I’d never heard of, but also entire mobile game ecosystems that they use daily but to which we have no access. I get where you‘re coming from but I guess you’ve got to define the bounds of what‘s inside and outside the term “obvious” for the purposes of this exercise. Even 5 years ago folks might have put Poland in that box, they sure aren’t there now!

Maybe UN-defined developing nations should be the yardstick?

To be clear I‘m in support of showcasing games that go under the radar, or which act as an entry point into other cultures - I just think it’s worth considering the framing - like maybe korea and taiwan aren't that familiar to you and you do need more exposure to them! but that bar is gonna move for everyone which makes it tough to check against I guess.

I can contribute Tale of Bistun here - it's got issues, but it's an action/top down walking sim that takes you through the Persian/Iranian epic poem "Khosrow and Shirin" - at the very least you'll learn a little something! https://store.steampowered.com/app/916140/The_Tale_of_Bistun/

@“saddleblasters”#300 & @“exodus”#3 Sorry, I should have worded that more carefully. Obviously there are a ton of games being developed there (speaking specifically about Korea & Taiwan), I was just trying to think of games off the top of my head that had reached some level of attention in places like North America or Europe. I‘m sure there are other, much larger and more popular games as well whose names I’ve probably heard, but didn't have at front-of-mind at the moment.

@“exodus”#p94398 this art is beautiful! thank you, I think I'm gonna give this a shot and see if it works on that there steamed deck.

@"RubySunrise"#p94352 Knights of Light seems oddly interesting. I would love to know what exactly is happening here lol.

My wife just reminded me that she recently played through a game called Hoa that was made by Skrollcat Studio in Singapore