Microsoft to acquire Activision Blizzard

I‘ve been wondering if Sony or MS might try to buy up FromSoft given their popularity these days but I learned they’re a specific type of subsidiary of Kadokawa which makes it seems like they‘re probably not for sale or that that wouldn’t necessarily be an option at the very least.

Fun fact related to that, unlike the rest of FromSoft's games in which the publisher got the rights to the IP or whatever in the process of publishing the game, Activision Blizzard do not own the rights to Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.

https://www.twitter.com/pripyatbeast/status/1483480454636343296

What I keep thinking about is the statement Microsoft made during this acquisition that 95% of all gamers worldwide play on mobile devices now.

NINETY FIVE!

I mean, I knew the percentage was high, and getting higher all the time, but people like me (and a lot of us here) who only play on dedicated gaming consoles are a tiny, weirdo minority now! Officially!

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/jRqkloD.png]

I cant wait for the joy and community when Microsoft finalise thier consolidation of Activision Blizzard in late 2023. I'll be ever so happy when the Bad Man Bobby Kotick loses his job as CEO while recieveing a multi hundred-million dollar payout solving the game industry's widespread harrassment problems all at once! I'm going to tell all my friends about gamepass which you can get for only 1 dollar* because it's just like Spotify which has revolutionised the music industry so every successful artist gets paid fairly. I love Microsoft because I love Windows! It's great for everything, sometimes the updates are wonky but that's okay becuase I just search online to find a 12 step process on how to get audio working again. Would I like an alternative? I can't afford it! Don't you hate it when there are too many companies? Its so hard to keep track of them all, it will be so much easier when AppleMeta and GoogleMicrosoft are all thats left. Competition in the marketplace? There's plenty! Haven't you heard of CD Projekt RED? they own GoG you know.

edit: ||WONT IT BE GREAT THAT XBOX CAN NOW GET THAT SWEET U.S MILITARY CONTRACT MONEY SO THAT CAN USE IT TO MAKE AWESOME CROSSPLATFORM GAMES FOR US, THE GAMERS? BECAUSE YOU KNOW WHAT, PHIL SPENCER SEEMS LIKE A PRETTY COOL DUDE AND LIKE HE CARES ABOUT THE GAMERS. I AM NOT INTIMIDATED BY HIM BECAUSE HE WEARS A T-SHIRT UNDER A BLAZER||

1 Like

@“2501”#p54346 Yeah. For what I‘ve known, they had to rush Diablo 4 because the “Diablo for mobile phones” was so appalling to people that they had to “death march” their employees to present a sneak peek. The Overwatch 2 campaign? Total disaster. We saw what happened to Warcraft III: Reforged, and also HearthStone and HoTS lost any kind of edge they had in the past: HoTS has no competitive scene and Hearthstone, while still popular, hasn’t gotten any better since the exleader of Team 5 left the company.

As for the future of the company, though, there's something that @"exodus"#3 retweeted on Twitter that I think no one has ever caught out sight of yet because of how many implications the deal has, and it's probably going to be the most immediate and also the most obvious: the layoffs that are going to be happening. Microsoft is buying a company at an all time low to be the "saviors of a company we all loved", and, while that is happening, I feel we're going to see a lot of the people who rebelled against ActiBlizz getting a good trip to unemployment street.

Cat's Paw Hypothetical: Nintendo or Sony buy Konami and immediately release lightly remastered and affordable versions of Silent Hill 1 and 2 and MGS 1-3, all buyable on their digital platforms for less than $20 a game. Good or bad?

-edit-
This isn't meant as a shitpost or anything, I guess I'm just exploring what happens with some of these acquisitions. Everyone is speculating about companies like Konami and Sega being bought up as part of an ever expanding war and I suppose I'm curious what the outcome of that might be beyond market-based analyses.

@“KennyL”#p54463 Whoa MS is at 2.27 Trillion now!? It was only 2018 when Apple first hit the trillion dollar mark if I'm not mistaken. When companies are doubling and tripling trillions overnight you know something is messed up.

@“DavidNoo”#p54633 pandemic made a lot of corporations richer

@“marlfuchs2”#p54655 What a wonderful decade we have to look forward to

@“marlfuchs2”#p54655 interest is low making loans basically free if you use that loan to acquire somebody/something, it's wild times.

>

@“exodus”#p54694 interest is low making loans basically free if you use that loan to acquire somebody/something, it’s wild times.

This one of those things that I just can't see how they can all collectively maintain the delusion that any of this economic arrangement makes sense, or, at least, think that no one reasonable can't obviously see the problem. Just like, okay Mr. Making The Economic Problems Worse, we will trust you to improve the economy, just step right over here next to the Make Economy Worse Later But Beneficial For You Now Button, and I will close my eyes while you fix the economy

@“fridgeboy”#p54618

Somebody had the same idea

https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/1483919682809782272?s=21

Does anyone else feel like now is a great time to give up on new games? Feels like the best thing to do is just stop giving Microsoft / Disney / (insert any large corporation here) my time and money.

@“tomjonjon”#p54858 this decision is aided by the fact that everything these companies make sucks ass

@“tomjonjon”#p54858 The answer would be yes if I hadn‘t already been avoiding most of the AAA output for the best part of the last 3-4 years. I’ll get what‘s good out there but there is a point where a human body can’t handle more brain-dead repetitive open world task checklists and I've reached it.

I wanna get on my high horse and say fuck AAA games too but I’ll probably end up playing Halo Infinite if they actually release the co-op campaign

But yeah I have not been genuinely excited for a AAA game in several years (almost bought into the _Cyberpunk_ hype then wisely bailed after early reports) and literally all of my most pleasurable video game experiences of recent memory have been ports, remasters or remakes of games from circa 1995-2005.

Basically the Consolebration panel is not wrong that games from the PSX to PS2 eras (on all platforms, not just those two) were simply better. That was gaming’s New Hollywood. After that the money got too big and the design standards got too homogenized, and now look at the results.

Uh Oh!

>

@“tomjonjon”#p54858 Does anyone else feel like now is a great time to give up on new games?

Let’s at least wait until after the release of [_HYPER GUNSPORT_](https://store.steampowered.com/app/1663250/Hyper_Gunsport/?AddToWishlist(%201663250,%20%27add_to_wishlist_area2%27,%20%25)) maybe.

Sony is acquiring Bungie

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1488210539276902407