Nomenclature You Like

I love seeing this every single time

11 Likes

I like metroidvania. I think that as a name it completely fulfils its purpose.

All genres should be named by smooshing together the names of some of their notable or formative entries:

sonimario

shenmakuza

ridgeroutrun

finalfragonquest

puyopetris

f-zerout

etc

9 Likes

Some PC genres:

Empirecraft

Civilorion

Quoom

Stararia

AnnoCaesar

Baldurknights

Homesins

7 Likes

FM Towns Marty

never fails to make me smile

8 Likes

Or the exquisite FM Towns Car Marty.

A while back, I translated a Japanese adventure for the Swedish tabletop RPG Kutulu and GMed it (in English) for a Canadian friend – that’s right, I’m Mr. Worldwide – and she chose the best name imaginable for her bone-tired detective character:

Francis Martin “Marty” Towns.

Initially, he was named “Francis Marty Towns”, but we quickly realized that for one, ain’t nobody christened Marty, and for two, if that were what the “FM” stood for, the Marty would be the “Francis Marty Towns Marty”. I have been unable to get that phrase out of my head ever since. Try saying it a couple of times out loud?

4 Likes

100mega

5 Likes

that might be even more joyful, it’s such a punchy phrase and those faces are so loveable

1 Like

Fighting game edition:

I like that comboing multiple characters in Marvel vs. Capcom is called ‘happy birthday.’

I like that the bad ledge recovery option in Smash Bros. Melee is called a ‘tournament winner,’ because it’s so bad that it might win the match for your opponent.

Virtua Fighter games have something called “fuzzy guard,” and I like that.

More good ones:

“Hyper hop” from KOF

‘Electric Wind God Fist’ from Tekken is a real good attack name.

‘Meaty’ from Street Fighter and others.

6 Likes

Yesss I was gonna post “happy birthday” lol

Guilty Gear has a lot of mechanics with cool official names: “Roman Cancel”, “Gatling Combo”, “Faultless Defense”, “Dead Angle”, “Black Beat Combo”. Other favorites include “Infinite Worth” and “Veil Off” from UNI; and “Blood Heat” and “Circuit Break” from Melty.

Also love “Alpha Counter” from the Alpha series and “Just Defend” from SNK games.

5 Likes

Dash cancel

4 Likes

Ooh, Just Defend reminded me of TOP Mode from MOTW. I love it because the gauge is at the TOP of the screen.

3 Likes

Threeds always makes me smile.

Tactical Espionage Action.

6 Likes

After journeying across the Paramina Rift to the Stilshrine of Miriam, Dynast King Raithwall cut the Sun-Cryst into the Dusk Shard and Dawn Shard - two pieces of Deifacted Nethicite created by the Occuria. Humans, in their hubris, created Manufacted Nethecite and weaponized it in the form of Magicite that can call forth powerful espers and perform quickenings and power a fleet of airships.

Vayne Solidor, the consul of Rabanastre, masterminded the invasions of Nabradia and Dalmasca for the Archedean Empire in their ongoing war against Rozarria, in order to bring the deifacted nethecite to Draklor Laboratory whereupon it could be used to turn the Dreadnought Leviathan into a super weapon.

8 Likes

In the kingdom of Lucis in the city of Insomnia, King Regis of the Caelum dynasty guards the Crystal, which powers the Ring of the Lucii. Lucis has long been at war with Niflheim, which controls Accordo and Tenebrae.

At the start of the story, Noctis Lucis Caelum, Crown Prince of Lucis, is betrothed to Lunafreya Nox Fleuret, Oracle and Princess of Tenebrae, in an armistice agreement. Noctis sets out with his friends Gladiolus Amicitia, Ignis Scientia, and Prompto Argentum, to Altissia, the capital of Accordo, to marry Lunafreya. But Niflheim attacks and occupies Insomnia, stealing the Crystal and killing the King. So Noctis and company cruise across Lucis in the Regalia to collect the Royal Arms and the powers of the Astrals, hoping to take back the Crystal and Insomnia. Simultaneously they encounter Daemons corrupted by the Starscourge, a mysterious malady that the Oracle seeks to stem the spread of. They also encounter a stranger, Ardyn Izunia, who seems interested in helping them.

6 Likes

I also adore the vocabulary used for FFXII’s locations and macguffins—in particular the Ridorana Cataract and its Pharos, both of which lie in Jagd preventing exploration by air. I wish we named places irl with the same grandiosity so one could say they’re visiting e.g. the Niagara Cataract.

This reminded me of Vagrant Story’s map having unique names for each and every room/screen. That’s how you encourage 100% exploration (Wanderer in Darkness is one of the only titles I sought out). The names are so evocative and full of environmental storytelling.

Also: when I moved to Montreal and started exploring the RÉSO I just instinctively referred to it as the Undercity, which isn’t far off from it’s official unofficial name.

I tried to find a gamefaqs guide with the info but nothing was complete so here is unfortunately a fandom link instead:

7 Likes

I always liked that Noct’s dad is dubbed Regis Lucis Caelum CXIII which is such an intense number.

5 Likes

Not games-exclusive but I always liked Minovsky Particles from Gundam.

6 Likes