Oh, hey, it's the guy from the box art!

I love when the guy from the box art shows up. It lends a sort of authenticity to the advertising effort. You bought that game because you saw the guy on the box art so the guy damn better be in the game, and at least sort of as cool as he is on the box art.

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/26yZ7Hj.png]

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/X6mFWMM.png]

Contra Hard Corps continues the Contra series' then 1 game streak of putting a freaking sick giant robo skeleton on the box art who then shows up in the game. I especially like the effort put in here in order to interpret the RoboSkeleton's GenesisOrb Hands into the medium of sci-fi realism illustration.

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/eZuo8lN.jpeg]

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/9ljYOCq.png]

Conversely, I've always felt Heckran is a weirdly placed and kind of anticlimactic to end up on the box art. It's a cool piece of concept art, a great dynamic scene with a lot of storytelling. The main problem is, though, that this scene doesn't happen in the game, even if Heckran is there. Is this a sign of some cut or rearranged content maybe? It was a weird choice too considering this box art makes _Chrono Trigger_ look like a relatively generic fantasy when its general conceit, time travel, is completely absent. You'd think they would have chosen some concept art with either a robot or a dinosaur, or a robo _and_ a dinosaur, which is something they easily could have made happen. Also Marle is casting a fire spell! What the hell?

Nevertheless, weird rather than just disappointing discrepancies between the guy on the box art and the guy on the box art as he actually appears in the game are still great. I love to get to Heckran and think, "that's the guy from the box art."

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/1ZRtypn.png]

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/mEMjzXF.png]

The guy from the box art of _Super Metroid_ makes a pretty early appearance. I gotta say, one of the best and weirdest incongruities between the guy on the box art and the guy on the box art as he actually appears in the game is when the color palette is completely different.

Also, damn, I just realized now at the top of the box is Kraid's feet!

Also, I've never thought to look up the SFC version of the _Super Metroid_ box art, but holy damn, the rest of the world got robbed.

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/yo2ggR6.jpeg]

There's so many guys on this here box art!

Post your favourite guys where when you saw them in game, you thought "that's the guy from the box art."

@“Syzygy”#p40999 it‘s cool that he’s on the box art but in a non standard form!

I like when big RPGs have the whole party on the box art and you get to have this experience several times stretched over a long playthrough.

Here you are 7 chapters into Fire Emblem and suddenly

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/5TlScGw.png]
Oh, hey, it's the guy from the box art! Two of them! (if you're looking at the Japanese box)

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/KXu1TwV.jpeg]

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/HJ3BgQH.jpeg]
I played around 35 hours of P3 years ago and never met the guy with the fan in the upper left.

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/hId09Bm.jpeg]

And in Final Fantasy sometimes it's a mystery who is even on the box art! I thought this was supposed to be dark knight Cecil for the first few hours (or however many it takes to get to Golbez).

oh man

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/HY2oP0L.png]

_that's_ the guy from the box art?!?!!!?

cow

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/XLNidba.jpeg]

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/A5w3Bok.jpeg]

>

@“captain”#p41002 I like when big RPGs have the whole party on the box art and you get to have this experience several times stretched over a long playthrough.

_yes..._

Even more hot is when you get a guy in your party who ISN'T on the box art.

I feel I could make a whole other thread about surprise/late game party member additions

EDIT: No. We cannot. Because it would be Spoilers.

@“Gaagaagiins”#p41005

EVERYTHING

IS

SPOILERS

Companion thread:

Who is that extremely sexy guy on the box and why isn't he in the game??? -

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/d9wZQ3b.jpeg]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/5quKxa6.jpeg]

Perhaps the Genesis is the ultimate “guy on the box art” console [upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/ngHneGI.jpeg]

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/MorGUS9.png]

I'm also having fun looking up the domestic release box art for these games and if you don't see Gunstar Yellow's hands behind the logo it kind of looks like her arm is snuck up Gunstar Red's pantleg. Please calm down!

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/iUHKaXV.png]

off-topic, but the contra hard corps soundtrack owns.

Phalanx box art is an actual photo of @“Syzygy”#279

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/CCPgZUi.jpeg]

Am I going to meet this guy? Is it supposed to be a player character?
>!Turns out, kind of both.!<

I’ll try to think of something clever this weekend but for now I can lazily recycle my Shienryū submission to the Last Letter Game Collection thread.

★The guy (DIO):

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/PSsEdC7.jpeg]

★On the cover (Shienryū):

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/S617IxE.jpeg]

Bonus: in this case, The Guy might be The Title too.

I support any exclamation mark question mark human centipede combo regarding the belated in-game explanation given for the logo of Final Fantasy XIII. Big « forgot to do my homework and bullshitting my way through the Teacher’s questions » energy right there.

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/UMrppJ8.png]

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/o0VMQtu.png]

@“hellomrkearns”#p41020 The secret of evermore box art guy is a HUGE one. So much so that I thought of him even though I've never played Secret of Evermore

sticking with katamari here because I can imagine a japanese person playing Minna Daisuki Katamari (We Love Katamari) and upon encountering the credits saying “Oh, hey, those are probably the guys from the box art!”

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/6CLnFLW.png]

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/sjGlw3u.png]

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/xbUxcpD.jpeg]

@“穴”#p41083 I forget whether you get to roll the Namco building up in this one… That'd be another cover guy

>

@“pasquinelli”#p41011 off-topic, but the contra hard corps soundtrack owns.

https://youtu.be/jg0sYyyzw9Y

This one is a spoiler for FFXII - so please keep scrolling if you don't want to know.

One cool thing I didn't realize was that Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age's reversible box art contains 5 of the 6 party members - and is conspicuously missing Basch fon Ronsenburg.

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/GtsVWQk.jpeg]

Meanwhile, the flip side of the box art is of Judge Galbranth, ||- who in the game is revealed to be Basch's identical twin brother and uses the exact same character model in game underneath the armor. Therefore, the box art does technically contain all party members if you take both sides into account. Basch lives! Don't listen to Ondore's lies! ||

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/uJfVCuV.jpeg]

I'm Captain Basch!