Protoype system photos & concept art

So, I have a real fondness of photos of prototype game systems, and also artists‘ illustrations. While digging up fun stuff for the “show me anything sega” thread, I found a weird artist’s rendition of the Mega CD.

Here's a bunch of Super Famicom stuff I have kicking around, including the PlayStation CD that got sold recently. That's probably the least fun thing, but it counts!

Anybody else have photos or illustrations kicking around to share?

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/GeSA5xg.jpg]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/k7hrzhH.jpg]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/yG5ZoRu.jpg]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/ajWke75.jpg]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/525c7dD.jpg]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/Fq8bAjP.jpg]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/5k0XERT.jpg]

The excellent blog VG Densetsu (Tumblr and Twitter ) has posted a ton of these in the past.

Sega Saturn
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/iY7MjsN.png]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/daBVs9V.png]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/O0iD1io.png]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/gDXnoRk.png]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/ywNaOtO.png]

Game & Watch (!!)
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/vJJBLFR.png]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/eXGmiXL.png]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/mNPGqK3.png]

Love those Saturns! Thanks for the link!

Found these weird PC Engine things hanging out:

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/Bh4C6Ex.jpg]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/V9j8MV1.jpg]

Biederman Design Labs GameBoy to NES Adapter

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/Cgg3Uf2.png]

NeoGeo Pocket Demo Station
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/OffK1rE.png]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/tGrbtFR.png]

VirtualBoy
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/59830uX.png]

Dreamcast
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/J94iIya.png]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/yRsYmqj.png]

Oh man, that Dreamcast prototype with the side-plug controller ports. I had forgotten that thing.

This spread always comes to my mind for this topic:

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/qjueRX7.jpg]

yikes, so many adventurous designs for some of these consoles! and none of them chosen. I wonder if there were more conservative designs considered for the supergrafx.

Here's the Wonderswan's canceled MP3 player.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/wonderswan/images/b/b9/WonderSwan_MP3_front.jpg

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/wonderswan/images/5/5d/WonderSwan_MP3_back.jpg

It would have taken custom flash cards
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/wonderswan/images/3/35/Custom_SmartMedia_cards_at_TGS2001-spring.jpg

This, of course.

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/u4uvy75.jpg]

Panasonic M2 - Would have been the follow up to the 3DO. For something that never came out at all, they sure had a lot of different prototypes. I really like the look of that blue version.

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/8tWXhtH.png]

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/eNZoVOW.png]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/6hIVjwF.png]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/IA3sY8K.png]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/BkdSM9V.png]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/8e8iR9U.png]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/euKOYJ4.jpg]

Yeah that's wild, thanks for posting!

IIRC a kiosk version did come to...car dealerships? I remember reading something about this awhile back! ("Awhile" is anytime in the last 20 years...)

A quick Google suggests that's true but didn't turn up anything much interesting. I do remember that a bit back someone got a dev build of D2 up and running though!

I love how for the longest time I thought the initial artist's renderings of the Saturn were by folks who had seriously wonky intel, but I was only comparing them all to the final product. Cuz as evidenced by the first image that @hellomrkearns shared…which I only saw recently… shows how in the ballpark many illustrations were.

Or maybe not?

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/8qGE2ws.jpg]

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/iwX7AAD.gif]

There's also this that I just came across and which is new to me. Does the Saturn have the largest number of concept sketch of any console? Probably not, but it kinda feels that way…

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/lDeWM65.jpg]

Sorry, one more Saturn related pic: I hope to one day have my system modded to resemble this…

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/9MiIArM.png]

I was disappointed when the Saturn was not silver. I am only now remembering this! I guess this or a similar photo must have appeared in the press.

Virtual Boy - Notice the colour of the buttons

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/zylNCOA.png]

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/tmnbQhG.png]

also this patent
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/xYofRw2.png]

There's something Cronenbergian about that patent illustration. The dots make it look fleshy.

Good lord I want all of those 3DO M2 prototypes! Very specifically the blue, white and black FZ-21 versions, and that sweet circular design one with the triangle in the middle. The blue is so striking and clean though, and the white gives me some big PC-FX mixed with an Apple Pippin vibes.

I really love how ambitious NEC was about the PC Engine core system locking onto things for advanced functions. I didn't realize until about a year or two ago that you could plug in a PCE CD unit into a PC-8801 MC to use as just a disc drive for a limited number of cd based PC-88 software.

I wonder how the phone would work with the core system? Would it be for network play? Or just placing bets/orders?

BTW, am surprised that no one has posted the original concept sketches for the Super Famicom/Nintendo CD-ROM…

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/MUvXt2W.jpg]

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/tXw0rrj.jpg]

BTW, I just came across someone on Instagram who basically made his own, by combining a Satellaview & a PSX (I think)...

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/t4usqpP.jpg]

... You can see more [here](https://blog.attractmo.de/post/622970363936161792/yup-thats-a-nintendo-playstation-alright-its).

@fortninety#2884 Pictures of upside-down discs in trays fill me with so much anxiety. Stop! It won't work that way!

@fortninety#2884

Yeah, those illustrations are CLASSICS, thanks for making sure they ended up here.

I love this stuff! I demand more!

>

@exodus#2737 yikes, so many adventurous designs for some of these consoles! and none of them chosen.

BTW, I was just scrolling through and looking at this stuff again, and it occurred to me that the reasoning there (at least in the case of the SNES) could have been to avoid a situation where there would be two different mainboards for the Super Famicom and SNES. Just seems like the most basic kind of logic. I wonder if maintaining lines to manufacture both Western-style NES and JP-style Famicoms at the same time (and cartridges with different formats as well, on top of that) was taxing or inconvenient for Nintendo, and resulted in a "cosmetics only" approach for the redesign of the US SNES. The Euro SNES looks like a Super Famicom and so do its cartridges, but the US SNES and its games are different from JP/Euro only as far as the plastic goes.