Rules for playing old game (NO hentai mods)

When playing an old game (up to you how that‘s defined), are there any rules you adhere to? I remember someone on here had a no emulating Sega rule, which to me is pretty cool, but it’s not one I personally follow. Do you always use original controllers? Do you only play on a CRT?

Thinking about it, I seem to have three rules. They are:

I try to play the game using only the design and mechanics of the original release. In practice this has typically meant: Not using cheats or speedups, and subjecting myself to the game‘s original save/lives/continue system. If this makes the game too hard or boring then I decide it’s not for me

I try not to look at gamefaqs. I should able to complete the game relying on only my own skill and experience

I try not to upscale games. This is the hardest rule to follow since I'm often playing on a way higher-res display than what the game was made for, but basically I don't want a PS2 game to look as sharp as a PS3 game

• Anything pre-HD I normally play on my CRT, either by having the original console hooked up if I have it, or via Raspberry Pi over SCART if I‘m emulating. It’s not a particularly special CRT - it‘s a fairly ordinary 19" Trinitron - but it’s nice for things to look roughly how they looked at the time of release.

Not that it's a strict rule - sometimes it's nice to emulate stuff on the big TV in the living room.

If it's a portable system then similar rules apply. Original hardware if I have it, emulated on [one of these](http://retroflag.com/GPi-CASE.html) if I don't.

scanlines for anything 8/16/32 bit 100% required.

Upscaling for 32 bit 3D optional, but generally discouraged.

Upscaling for ps2 generation very much encouraged. Personally think most ps2 games look great at like 24k resolution, just crank that shit up

agree about avoiding faqs, cheats unless pressed for time.

hey, I'd love to play original hardware on crts but there just isn’t "world enough and time"

Pretty much all of what you folks have said. Only on CRTs using original hardware and no cheating.

I've become a bit more of a purist these days too. A friend got me an AT games Sega Genesis mini for Christmas a couple years ago (after I explicitly told him I wasn't interested) and I felt bad because I knew I'd never touch the thing... I already had all the games I wanted to play in their original form on cartridges, and retro games on HD TVs (even with scanlines) just doesnt cut it.

And now that I've got a Neo Geo MVS machine in the dining room I won't play a neo geo game unless I can get ahold of it on an MVS cart. Hahahaha. Pretty pathetic.

@yeso#15557 haven‘t messed with scanlines much, when i’ve turned them on in the past i've felt like it was gimmicky but maybe just need to experiment. gonna try with SII

I never thought about this as rules because sometimes they‘re just “this is how I do it” but here’s what's for me:

• - ceiling lights off, side lighting/neon signs on
  • - PS2/xbox and prior systems are all on the 4:3 CRT, 360 and up on the 16:9 LCD
  • - take out one game at a time to play and put it back when I'm done unless I'm SURE I'm going to play it again tomorrow (then it can stay in the system)
  • - real hardware only (this is not a rule it's just easier for me)
  • - if there's multiple versions of a game play the sega one
  • - unless there's an NEC version too, then see if that one's better
  • - s-video is good enough for dreamcast (controversial)
  • - don't break out the nintendos if you don't have to
  • - anything you've got on the arcade machine, play it there before playing whatever compilation version you've got for PS2
  • - remember not to lean forward too much

• hmm I think that's it
    that side lighting thing is why my photos of my tv look like this btw
    https://twitter.com/necrosofty/status/1355744755154468870/photo/1

>

@tapevulture#15569 scanlines

I get the sense @Syzygy would have some good advice re the most tasteful crt shaders

the reason for the nintendos thing is they‘re all piled on top of each other because of their less frequent use, which, if I’m honest, further discourages their use. maybe I should address that at some point.

if we‘re giving advice about our own closet and storage configuration I’d say don't trip over the lightly-used barbell when you reach for the original ps3 (fat model)

speaking of lighting and ambiance, my friend, whom i borrowed this screen name from, used to decline invitations to hang out ca. 2000 because he was staying in to turn off the lights, light candles and play resident evil. may try this with the GC remake

@tapevulture#15623

Oh yeah, I'll only ever play scary games at night in the dark, for full effect.

When I was younger and I brought home a new video game, I wouldn't play it until my area was clean. I'd clean up around the tv and game system, and clear all the clutter off the coffee table. Dunno why, just having a dirty play area distracted me and I wanted my new game experi be to be perfect. My mom certainly appreciated it.

Meh, whatever is easiest at the moment. I have a Genesis and PS1 hooked up to a CRT with component/RGB cables, its a joy to play on. I actually play a lot of old games on the Vita, too. Its a great device. I also just use Retroarch with no configuration on my PC as well.

I'm a big gadget nerd so I genuinely get a kick out of hunting for old PVMs and reading about how all the different sync capabilities work, etc. And having the actual hardware I played in my youth is pretty nostalgic. But it really is just like the idiots who spend 10grand on a tube amp and gold plated cables to listen to their records with some flacs and a soundbar get you the same thing. All you need is a PC. As far as ambience I do have some philips HUE lights, but I don't really bog myself down too much with that kind of stuff. I could spend all night setting up everything juuuust right and then not even sit down to play something. IDK, for me the most important thing is being able to playing something RIGHT THEN AND THERE when the urge strikes. Because if I have to wait for any type of setup or get distracted I will inevitably just want to do something else.

I am somewhat dogmatic about controllers though. Personally I really like the DS4's Dpad so I use that when emulating, but I do have some of the bluetooth modkits from 8bitdo that turn your OG controllers into bluetooth enabled generic PC controllers.

I generally see playing on actual hardware as something of a luxury these days because it‘s not “useful” and it’s rare I‘m able to sit uninterrupted for the length of time it’d take to make the set-up worthwhile anyway. As far as emulators go I prefer accuracy over everything else, but not to any especially nitpicky degree.

Oh! And I'll always read the manual first :D

>

@Jtwo#15631 for me the most important thing is being able to playing something RIGHT THEN AND THERE

extremely this

>

@Syzygy#15584 Hello I am Dr. Scanlines

[…]

A popular preset configuration is crt-royale-kurozumi, meant to imitate Sony Trinitron BVMs, which are quite a fad in the “retro gaming community”

I have just spent some time with Retroarch and the Intellivision core, having a look at some games that I felt like revisiting (even if only briefly). I don't own a CRT, and my Intellivision and carts are in storage.

The `-kurozumi` preset seems ... too clean ... for me. I can understand why it is popular, however at least for my current application it just doesn't feel like the right choice. I never had a high quality CRT to play the Intellivision on, I had an old and not great TV. The Intellivision connects via an aerial cable breakout box and an RF cable.

By way of example, the `-kurozumi` preset looks like this in Astrosmash:
    [URL=https://i.imgur.com/ltOlnnI.png][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/ltOlnnIh.png[/IMG][/URL]
    However the one that I _think_ best lines up with my recollection of what it was like to play this game is more seems to be:
    [URL=https://i.imgur.com/YEVh1YK.png][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/YEVh1YKh.png[/IMG][/URL]

Interesting that the first one also seems to mess with the palette a bit!
    I would say that the first is almost undoubtedly a "better" image, bit it just doesn't seem "right".

Anyone else get lost in the weeds like this?
    I'm likely to spend more time messing around with picking a shader & preset than playing a game! (I've now wasted most of the time I had to do this and now need to go organise dinner, oops)

Quick edit: the slightly resized images embedded in the post here wreak havoc with the scanlines. Please click through for the full image if you care to see and compare

I guess I spent a long time fiddling with the knobs and dials since this was my first time looking in to this. I did at least get half a game of Astrosmash in!

I returned to experiment a bit more, and realised that I was doing everything a disservice by not running in full screen. That has changed (improved?) things considerably.

I think I’ve found settings that mostly line up with my recollection of playing these games now. I’m sure a side by side photo would show that I am way off the mark, but I’m not really aiming for 100% _accuracy_ here, rather I suppose I am aiming for just the right set of things to fool me in to believing this is how I used to see things.

I take it this is a contentious topic within the emu (or just shaders for emu) community?

well sorry to revive my own thread but i've already changed my mind about this,

after playing guacamelee recently i am coming around to regard a game's save/continue system as mostly being a response to essentially commercial pressures of the time, and external to a game's core mechanics.

guacamelee is extremely generous with checkpoints, in my view because it allows the devs to make a game that takes its difficulty cues from the hardcore action games of yore, and in many cases be a lot harder than those games, while being accessible in a modern context. with so many things to do these days, and so many games to play, who would spend much time with this game if it had a traditional, limited lives and continue system?

whereas if you were making say SMW or thunder force IV, one thing you were trying to do was make a game that couldn't be completed in a single rental, or make a game that required people to keep feeding it coins to beat it.

yeah, that's obvious, but i've been thinking, what does it mean to play megaman X in 2021? if i'm save-stating it to beat it, am i really playing megaman X? or am i just playing around with its mechanics?

before i would have said the latter, but i now believe that a game is the mechanics of interacting with the environment/enemies, and lives/continues is something external, something tacked on, in accordance with that game's commercial environment. this makes it OK to save state, and update that part of the game, and make it more modern and accessible.

the other aspect of this, though, is that we should further laud games that somehow took this into account, and were made playable for that time, and for all times, either by letting you skip to the parts you were struggling with (SMB warping) or by being very generous with lives and continues (streets of rage, silhouette mirage).

however it's still not allowed to check gamefaqs, use the insert credit helpline instead, thank you.

The Mega Man X question is good, but also tricky as that's a game where (for me) the challenge is pitched at the right level for me to not brute force save state my way through. Or at least I would only give myself occasional check points. Super Mario World even more so. There is a ton of content. Generous save points. And you never get set to far back that you feel your time is being wasted.

But in the last year save stating has been a big reason to sell of my physical collection in favor of Everdrives. There are so many games I would just never sit through if I had to memorize and master them. Hell, I might only want to put a half hour into a great game like Super Mario Bros. 3 at the end of the day and the idea that I would have to start from scratch every time would be deeply discouraging. I dunno, even DIFFICULT modern games like Dark Souls let you keep your incremental progress.

In the hierarchy of keeping the original feel of old games, playing with an original controller (or facsimile there of) is number 1. Playing on a CRT if possible is a steady drop below to number 2. And vastly below that sits playing with original cartridges / in the original save state no Gamefaqs way.

@exodus#15571 I appreciate “rules” 3 and 4 here. There are so many times in the past I have gotten a nice emulation or everdrive setup all ready to go and then just rapidly popped in and out of games noncommittally because there was zero friction in doing so. I didn‘t actually put any serious time into Terranigma, for example, until I bought a repro cart off of Etsy. It’s pricier and clunkier, but real tangible carts/media are worth it for me if they encourage fully appreciating the game!

>

@robinhoodie#18131 the challenge is pitched at the right level for me

yeah this is huge, right at the point i was trying to get at. i guess for me, for many many action games made before like...1995 or so the challenge is typically at the level where i don't have the combo of skill and endurance required get through with save system that's in place. before i would describe the save system as like integral to the game design, but now i like thinking it as something that's just more a product of its time. if the same devs made the game today they would keep the mechanics but update the save system, i expect

there are definitely exceptions, like i replayed SMW earlier this year on an SFC, it works just as well now as it does then. megaman x actually might not be a good example because the password system is a-ok. gunstar heroes is approachable for a beginner on easy. sonic 2 is too hard though, mostly because of the final boss