Starfield and Friends

that Starfield is coming out in a little under a week, and tomorrow as of writing for people who got the digital deluxe edition (IE: me)

First bethesda day one purchase since Skyrim. Looking forward to playing dozens of hours over the next decade and not getting close at all to finishing.

@“Privately_Attack”#p130996 I sat and had a long think about if I would buy it.

I got a couple months of Microsoft's Game Pass to try it out… but really my focus is to check out Sea of Stars, Cities Skylines 2, Jusant, and Persona 5 Tactica with the subscription.

I played Skyrim on PS3 in 2013 and had great time with it until I gradually realized it wasn't actually a video game. I haven't touched any Bethesda games since, though I have been to Maryland.

Now that I'm older and wiser I am aware that Starfield is essentially going to be a game about nothing. The fact that they have not mentioned anything about the main questline has me think it either doesn't exist or they're hiding it for a reason. I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised but if not I'm sure I'll have fun floating in zero gravity and walking around an empty planet for a bit.

@“Tradegood”#p131004 I have always considered open world RPGs as mere engines for experiences, and BGS‘ recent games going back to even oblivion are prime examples of that feeling. I’d include Morrowind but it's far too abrasive even in 2002 to be considered “a start”. Starting with oblivion you can really just go and do whatever from the moment you step out into the world. What a great feeling.

God help me I cannot wait

@“HyggeState”#p130998 I basically had a family meeting with me and my cat over whether or not i'd get it now or next week.

i dunno nothin about this game and i know someone here already did a very amazing garfield and friends mixemup parody, but if i could just put my voice in here and ask for a Starfield logo in the shape and font of the seinfeld logo i would be much obliged. ~(~(~(or just like, gimme a version of photoshop i don‘t have to pay for and i’ll do it myself)))

@“phylaxis”#p131017 i've been making the starfield and friends joke for over 5 years now, and let me tell you I laughed so hard when I saw the insert credit episode of the same name. Hearing Frank go “Starfiiiield!!!” a couple episodes ago sent me lmao

@“Privately_Attack”#p131018 it‘s legit one of my favorite current jokes and i’m a little upset it‘s not hugely widespread!!! it’s the perfect gag!

>

@“phylaxis”#p131017 but if i could just put my voice in here and ask for a Starfield logo in the shape and font of the seinfeld logo i would be much obliged

Quick and dirty effort from me
[img]https://i.imgur.com/N95Q9fy.png[/img]

@“Kez”#p131061 yessssss thank you hahahah

I am very curious about this one and unsure of how quickly I should pick it up. I‘ve never enjoyed a bethesda game (sure you can do anything, but I’ve never found fun in any of the things). My tastes are fairly summed up in that I count New Vegas as an all-timer but put down Fallout 3. That said, I love space. I want more space games. Specifically, I want the space game promised in the old Mass Effect ads.. I feel like Starfield could be that game, but also could leave me feeling as bored as Fallout 3 and Skyrim did.

Should I get this game? How should I prepare my expectations? What are you looking forward too about it, you who are excited?

[and for the record I 100% support you enjoying those games. I don't know if they're "good" or "bad" but they're just not for me!]

@“deepspacefine”#p131068 Maybe check out No Man's Sky. Lot of space in that one. Probably cheaper too.

@“deepspacefine”#p131068 Reviews just dropped, so give some of those a read. The absolute best thing about this game is the fact that it‘s gonna be on gamepass. One month is just under $20 or so so you could give it a whirl and possibly be done with it before you have to pay again. If you’re a first timer they usually have a $1 offer for the first month.

@“tomjonjon”#p131070 I played too much No Man's Sky! I love it.

it would be cool if you could fly the spaceship to the morrowind planet. Just had this idea now, should have emailed todd howard about it several years ago

I got the Game Pass, so I‘m going to try it. I’m not expecting to be impressed by the writing or deeply moved by the art, but Bethesda has that singular thing that they do which can be fun and engrossing, and I agree with everyone that it‘ll be cool to have a space-assed open world in an (open) world of fantasy settings. But I always tend to play these games as I’d live them, which is boringly nice – I need to go tabletop-like and commit to an interesting character to play as before this (and especially before Baldur‘s Gate 3’s console release)

@“Kez”#p131061 https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/225

>

@“yeso”#p131078 it would be cool if you could fly the spaceship to the morrowind planet. Just had this idea now, should have emailed todd howard about it several years ago

The monkey paw curls....

You fuel up and FTL jump over to Nirn, only to find that the timeline of _Starfield_ means that it's not the Morrowind Planet but the Oblivion Planet

This is such a strange game. It feels like a mix of Mass Effect and Oblivion, with the amount of jankiness you would expect from that combo. I haven‘t run into any technical issues (asides from frame rate stuttering on Series X); it feels like an incredibly polished version of a mid-2000s era RPG. I’m liking it, but also baffled at some design decisions. I'm about 5 hours in so far, so I still got a lot to explore.

THIS GAME'S WEIRD!!!