Switch Year in Review 2021

Nintendo just set up their personal year-in-review sites (US, EU) and I always find these threads pretty fun, so I figured I would set up a place to share!

I had 14 games logged this year, apparently with 179 hours docked and 29 hours handheld. That's way more handheld time than I usually have, for which I can probably thank my SMT3 obsession. The top games ranking was as expected, though I was a little surprised #2 wasn't #1 yet:

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/Exoy3Ch.jpeg]

The monthly breakdown is also pretty cool to see...some obvious spikes related to my #1 and #2 games lol:

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/bRikIcc.jpeg]

Also nice of them to shame you by calling out your most...uh...industrious day of the year

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/ZYwXI0d.jpeg]

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/4lAKOqn.jpeg]

Whose Nintendo points are they?!

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/oBKJqEo.jpeg]

Apparently I like roguelites

My one is all about how I played it less this year. I played 168 hours compared to last years 283.

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/Jslp30a.png]

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/jWOnPIE.png]

Fairly sure most of October spike was Metroid and a bit of the Castlevania collection. The June and July spike is Picross S2. January might be a SNES game or possibly RIng Fit Adventure.

It's seems I either play for 37 hours a month or not at all, Lol!

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/ZOGkiVD.png]

yeah this def tracks. NEO is real good....

The worrying thing about this is that I last played Slay the Spire in March.

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/wbLT9bL.jpeg]

My 2021 with the Switch was pretty quiet. I spent most of my time on PC and PS5, so my stats are a bit dire.

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/GnaM1tB.jpeg]

These numbers don’t reflect the last week of playtime for me though. I’ve dumped another 10 or so into Pokemon and have spent a lot of time with Mario 3D World.
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/YTrw78b.jpeg]

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/wwteVtg.jpeg]

**Nice**

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/8n462Ia.jpeg]
I did a case swap on a recently acquired Switch Lite, and I have a feeling my portable play time is going to increase significantly. It’s seemingly quite a bit more comfortable in my hands than a standard sized Switch…

@“TracyDMcGrath”#p51250 This and @LeFish ‘s results are making me nervous about ever touching Slay the Spire! I have that, Hades, and Dead Cells all sitting on my Switch and I’m not sure if my life can afford falling into a rogue-lite black hole

@"beets"#p51254 Those sure are some interesting statistics...

@kory never open slay the spire

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/Y6TzIGM.png]

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/u5ErRET.png]
nice august bro

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/8ieQtjj.png]

I think mine might be wrong.

This year I spent a few months without permanent broadband for boring but exciting but boring reasons. In that time I played a bunch of Switch, yet my review shows a few months with close to zero hours played. Even the months that do show activity don't tally up with in-game stats. Presumably something to do with my intermittent internet connectivity.

another year where I mostly played PS4 (yakuza) and consoles that don't connect to the internet. This was probably the least I touched the switch since buying it.

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/g6ZHIng.png]

Just sharing because of my excellent display name and nintendo avatar.

I played 25 games, most of which I opened for half a second to check something. Sorry games!!
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/UyEDPKn.png]

Now how many hours did I play!? 42!! even less than last year. And almost all of them were at the end of the year, which we will see in a moment.
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/8cBK6az.png]

This is correct. Not sure what I played in January or April, maybe Deadly Premonition 2.
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/ui4PS3W.png]

Now, here are the games I played (in november lol). Makes a lot of sense. I played a bunch of Regency Solitaire, and am currently working through SMT V at a decent pace. I've had to play games to judge them for a show, I think they'll show up in december stats. No offense to any of them but none of them are going to make my top played. Some on the PS4 might though! We'll talk about that during the game of the year episode of the podcast.
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/GlTvgew.png]

I'll just state a couple stats that aren't interesting to look at:
I played like 70% of the time in docked mode, just like last year. Also they say the day I played games the longest I played 5 hours. I find that difficult to believe, I basically never sit down for that long with a game before I wind up turning on a movie. BUT I am guessing what happened is I played some at midnight and then some more later that same 'day.'

Lastly, I'm sharing this nintendo points thing - I got a lot of them, including downloading and performing actions on nintendo phone games for the absolute minimum time required because: I wanted to get the zelda picross game for 3DS and that's the only way to get it. I almost certainly played that more than any single switch game.
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/mgSVrfN.png]

that's it for me!!! Can't wait to see the dumb/inaccurate playstation one when it's ready, where it says I played 200 hours of a 40 hour yakuza game!

>

@“exodus”#p51271 my excellent display name and nintendo avatar

Good Lord

>

@“exodus”#p51271 here are the games I played

very happy to see that your 2020 most played game was the objectively best game released on the Switch that year

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/hBtgpGr.jpeg]

Great majority of SNES time was spent on Mario no Super Picross. Nintendo told me I've played additional 35 hours of DQ 11 in 2020. I've yet to finish it and not sure I will... I might be the only person on earth who don't like this game. Good thing I didn't buy Slay the Spire on Switch. That would've been the end of me...

@“kory”#p51262 I will say that Roguelites are all great games to play while you're listening to something. Of the ~ 600 hours I have logged in Nuclear Throne, roughly half of that was also spent listening to Insert Credit

>

@“KennyL”#p51276 only person on earth

me too actually!! i love to start DQ games but can never finish them (actually i did finish V). i also started DQ1 this year and got i think 3/4 of the way through but couldn't go the distance

Nintendo never enables this stuff for accounts registered in Australia :frowning:

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/MZ8bDcx.png]

My graph ended up being two huge spikes in Feb/March and November, accounting for DQIII/yugioh and Moon respectively. Really not a lot I cared to play specifically on Switch this year aside from some game pile stuff like SMTV and Dread. Something about the switch makes a lot of games feel very non-urgent to me, things like DQ III I only really played on it because the alternative was playing that version on my phone like I did with I & II.

Sad to see that it counted the switch online service as one bulk "game" as if it counted December that third slot would likely have been Breath of Fire II, but I'm sort of glad it didn't because Moon is really good!

@“rejj”#p51280 pretty rude if you ask me, though obviously you all are playing Boomerang X (as we americans are playing Burger Time)

Once again Nintendo Japan seems to not be doing this but I already know my result will be: Too Much Time Spent Playing Baby Animal Game, followed by Oh Hey You Played A Little Bit of Eastward and SMT V.

Sadly, I am also mainly playing on a Japanese account but, based on the data found in the MyNintendo app, I played around:

• - 300+ hours of Monster Hunter Rise
  • - 90+ hours of **A-Train: All Aboard! Tourism** (in just two weeks!)
  • - 70+ hours of **The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles** (what the hell... it deserved less of my time)
  • - 60+ hours of **Super Smash Bros. Ultimate** when I decided for some reason to collect all music tracks and spirits (note: I like everything about Smash Bros except playing Smash Bros, never played a single multiplayer game...)
  • - 40+ hours of **Shin Megami Tensei V** (and counting)
  • - 30+ hours of **Dungeon Encounters**
  • - 30+ hours of **Trials of Mana**
  • - 20+ hours of **Shin Megami Tensei III**
  • - 20+ hours of the **Super Famicom** app
  • - 20+ hours of **Pro Yakyū Spirits 2021**
  • - 20+ hours of **Picross S Mega Drive & Mark III edition**
  • - 20+ hours of **Castlevania Advance Collection**
  • - 20+ hours of **Saga Scarlet Grace Ambitions**
  • - 20+ hours of **No More Heroes III**
  • - 10+ hours of **Hyrule Warriors Age of Calamity**’s DLC (total 70+ hours)
  • - 10+ hours of **ActRaiser Renaissance** (more accurately 19h15m in two days)
  • - 10+ hours of **Hades** (18h exactly)
  • - 10+ hours of **Spelunky**
  • - 10+ hours of **Metroid Dread**
  • - 10+ hours of **Banner of the Maid**
  • - 10+ hours of **Mario Party Superstars**
  • - 10+ hours of **Super Mario 3D World**
  • The rest was less than 10 hours per game. And it would be too much effort to add up each daily record of **Animal Crossing New Horizons** but at a glance of my schedule on the app (about 1h/day), I have spent about 90h on my island this year, for a total of 600h accumulated between launch day and the first anniversary of the game (which is precisely the day I stopped playing).

So about 800 to 900 hours total on Switch this year, I’d gather? My second most played system this year was most likely the PC Engine Mini thanks to the 63h26m on Tengai Makyō II, followed by the PSP and the Dreamcast.