Switch Year in Review 2021

I didn‘t play a whole lot of Switch this year so mine might be a little boring. Gonna check it out later but I’m gonna guess in advance my most-played games were the Shin Megami Tensei III remaster and Bravely Default 2, neither of which I even finished. Haven‘t started SMTV yet, working through Death Stranding Director’s Cut at the moment

Looks like this year the this thing works for me (last year it didn't).

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/IFXerCQ.jpeg]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/XXkZkqd.jpeg]
[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/OxHJ7CM.jpeg]
(nice)

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/PuuIi5Z.jpeg]

>

@“chazumaru”#p51299 Picross S Mega Drive & Mark III edition

I didn't realize this was out!!! gah! Well, I'm going to buy it.

@JoJoestar that's a lot of raging loop! I keep seeing it in the store but visual novels are a hard sell for me. but you put a lot of time into it - what's the main drive of this one?

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/SM3o7V1.jpeg]

I'm not too surprised by these numbers, except maybe for Stardew. I do find it kind of funny that Dead Cells and Celeste were both games that I returned to after clearing almost all of the story of each last year.

Stardew Valley kind of snuck up on me. I'm not exactly in love with it, but I enjoy it enough. The problem I have with that game is just that the day cycles are so short that they really compel me too keep playing. It's really easy for me to lose track of time playing that game.

My other caveat is just that my hours (~1600) should be adjusted for inflation because the switch is the only thing I play games on (excepting some virtual console stuff on my WiiU and PS3 as well as my PC Engine Mini)

>!Cropped out is the 200 hours I spent playing Skyrim last year while I was depressed enough to take that long to realize how bored I was by it!<

>

@“exodus”#p51378 what’s the main drive of this one?

The game is basically a survival/psychological game in the same vein of stuff like Danganronpa and Zero Escape (made with a fraction of the budget). What made it interesting for me is that the whole story is built around a sociological and anthropological angle, instead of the usual sci-fi thing. The whole mystery revolves around the particular culture and history of the village the protagonist ends up in, and I liked the fact that it's a bit more rooted in human studies instead of going for the more tired and familiar time travel thing.

The other interesting aspect is the protagonist himself. These stories almost always revolve around having a very earnest (and frankly a bit dumb) hero who fundamentally believes all people are good and all that nonsense. The protagonist in this game is definitely not that guy, he's smart, selfish, cautious and frankly, a bit of an asshole! He reacts in believeable ways and comes up with reasonings and ideas that are not only surprisingly not shit, but sometimes open up angles that you as a reader hadn't considered to that point. Since the game clearly plays into horror tropes, being in the POV of a character that not only isn't consistently stupid, but also has this entertaining douchebag thing going on was very refreshing.

That said, it's a very 7/10 game that is a dozen hour too long and stumbles at the ending, so don't expect anything mind-blowing. What it does, it does well though imo. If you are interested I would suggest you play it and Gnosia together, which is what I did! Both games are takes on the werewolf/mafia concept (I refuse to give credit to among us in this respect lol) and I feel like comparing the two was interesting and enriched the experience.

hmmm as an american growing up in the 90s I‘ve had enough of the smart douchebag in media I think, ha ha. it’s a big turnoff for me. but the danganronpa-like aspect intrigues to a degree.

That‘s fair! I should clarify that it’s not the typical antihero thing if that‘s what came across, it’s more like while the guy wants to trust people he knows that doing so in the middle of a situation that requires to find a hidden traitor is not a smart move, and plays around that.

To offer an example, he is aware that being an stranger allows him to make some mistakes out of lack of knowledge, so in a couple of situations he forces that ignorance to make people explain stuff they wouldn't otherwise have disclosed. It's a more subtle and cunning than arrogant or self-centered type of douchebag, which of course you can also hate lol

Cries in Australian

@“JoJoestar”#p51388 this game piqued my interest when I first saw it, but there were so many other games with loop in them coming out that I was thrown and couldn't really keep a hold of what I thought it was. This description has hooked me again. I love the Zero Escape series

Shocked but not surprised [upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/hXcTrbt.png]

Here you see the moments when the fateful purchases were made.

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/cUTsJRx.png]

@“wickedcestus”#p51440 Well well what do we have here!

https://youtu.be/-zLN8IaCNFM

Given that Nintendo won’t tell me I have to guess, so I’m going to say my Switch in 2021 was:

Picross S6

Picross S5

Monster Hunter Rise

Great Ace Attorney Chronicles

…and I’m not sure what else. I bought SMT Nocturne & 5 but they aren’t anywhere that play time (yet?).

I’ll buy Picross S7 on release. I’m at the point where I don’t even play normal mode anymore. I do colour, mega, extra, and consider that done.

@“wickedcestus”#p51440 I like the detail that you played both picross the exact same amount of hours.

@“chazumaru”#p51441 please… it took everything i had not to buy S3 immediately upon completion of S2… we are taking a break

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/wLI5RRL.png]

I'm guessing Nintendo Online only counts the service, not the games you play on it?

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/qWD1Cnm.png]
Haha, no Fire Emblem this year

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/JoijY0j.png]
This was a mix of Crystalis and Ninja Gaiden 1. Dear Nintendo, can you please just put 2 and 3 on the service? I'm guessing it's a rights thing on top of being too much to ask for the cost of the sub. Hammerwatch was my online gaming with my buds game this year. Its a really good Gauntlet-like I never knew I needed in my life.

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/IH5QVZE.png]
No surprises really... Mario at the start of the year, then Ninja Gaiden/Crystalis and Hammerwatch

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/qyxkCOl.png]
Pretty sure this was Crystalis and likely bleed over from playing after midnight and then again later that same day.

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/G8TqTvE.png]
The only times I'd play undocked are when I travel home and since I had catching up to do since covid, I didn't even pop the case open. That and this year I had the friend over to my place for local co-op and no intl travel either, so yeah. I'd love to see the stats Nintendo has for this since the start of the pandemic and how it changed them.

I though I played more this year but I guess not. And it wasn't like last year where I put more time into the PS4. (FF7R and finally playing Hyper Light Drifter)

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/ujTKhbT.jpeg]

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/Fy6zdBp.jpeg]

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/frpEEat.jpeg]

Civ 6 continues to be my go to ‘feelin a lil sad boi’ turn my brain off game. DQ11 came ripping up the side lane in the last month. Sort of surprised about Metroid there, there were probably like a half dozen games right in that ball park. That’s how I use my switch most - to play short, often indie games in the 6-12 hour ballpark.

>

@“fridgeboy”#p51646 Sort of surprised about Metroid there, there were probably like a half dozen games right in that ball park

Now that you mention it, I’m seeing Dread popping in at #3 on a lot of lists…a lot of lists generated by _Nintendo dot com_…just sayin is all

Mine is interesting to me because of some Life Events that happened and impacted the data set.

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/DxOYPG9.png]

I have 4 kids and the Switch is the most popular Game Playing Thingy in the household in the not-me demographic. It's a software thing, not a hardware thing. I can't wait to see how many hours I played _Control_ and _Guilty Gear -STRIVE-_ for. So what we're seeing is me loving to be frustrated at _Shiren 5_, me being mostly positive about _Metroid: 5_ (lotta 5s here), and family games being played simultaneously.

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/FLzmNOw.png]

No real surprises. _Shiren 5_ and family games in Jan/Feb.

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/zsjpCTA.png]

This is the outlier. "Oh, the day I was hospitalized being anxious about having emergency surgery and going back to _Shiren_ as a coping mechanism? Yeah, I remember that day, thanks Doug Bowser!" 😋 (I'm still recovering but am totally fine.)

In conclusion, I used that "What was your favorite game?" function and suggest you all go play my honestly favorite Switch game I probably played last year.

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/2gyVelj.png]

... Oh. Too bad for all of you I guess!

Really came down to the wire, but the rightful victor just barely pulled ahead as I finally rolled credits tonite:

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/ps2Ymx9.jpeg]

UPDATE

now that I've had to play games for end of year stuff, things have changed. I now played 67 hours this year, higher than last! all in nov/dec. and I have a new number one:

[upl-image-preview url=//i.imgur.com/gghwY3t.png]

Apparently I played loop hero for 7 hours on christmas lol (I reckon a lot of that was just idling)