tcg thread

(if we have another thread on this topic please combine – don‘t recall one and couldn’t find via search)

we got a pokemon trading card game set for my kids. i collected as a kid and regrettably handed my whole binder to my friend's younger sister one day in a dramatic declaration of maturity and she probably has a house in the south of france right now. if i could turn back time...!

perhaps it was because i selflessly donated all my cards as a child that fortune rewarded me but a couple years pack, when on a walk my kids and I were gifted a full set by the FREE table in someone's yard. we had a long walk to finish and hid them in the bushes; on our way back they were still there!! then we took them home and mostly made a big mess with them.

but now most kids in my oldest's grade are going crazy for them, and to my surprise there are a couple parents who have built decks from their kids' collections and started playing, which i also did yesterday. kind of fun although i struggle to really attach to any of the pokemon outside of the original 150. also i'm kind of disappointed the more i learn about the metagame...like basically they release a new set that invalidates all the old ones? and very quickly the community gravitates toward a few cards that are the strongest and the rest are deemed trash. is this normal for tcg? the power creep is also pretty nuts. the free set we have features a few pokemon whose HP peaks in the upper hundreds; i played yesterday against my friend's deck that features 7-8 cards with pokemon over 300HP...! feel like the less i know about the metagame the better

i'm way more drawn to the art in magic so thinking about investing more energy in that instead, plus my neighbor plays. would be interested to hear from anyone who has played that. is it the same deal where there's a new set regularly coming out that renders all existing cards obsolete?

There is this thread https://forums.insertcredit.com/d/1257-pleasant-paper-rectangles

Re: meta and invalidating cards: I started playing One Piece and I'm not super deep into it (just casuals with friends) but my understanding is that they haven't really indulged in power creep and new sets don't invalidate old ones. Makes me feel better about just having some decks and occasionally playing.

>

@“tapevulture”#p149367 like basically they release a new set that invalidates all the old ones? and very quickly the community gravitates toward a few cards that are the strongest and the rest are deemed trash. is this normal for tcg?

Oh goodness yes haha

In Magic the way I get around this is playing almost exclusively in limited formats, ones where you are only allowed to use cards you are given as part of the event to prevent everyone just playing the best cards which they then need to go buy individually for lots of money. In mtg this usually means draft, where players pick cards one at a time out of three packs and pass the rest of their pack to the player next to them, building a smaller 40 card deck (vs 60) from the cards that they picked and any number of basic lands. The other limited format is sealed, which is similar except everyone is handed 6 packs from which to make decks from plus any number of basic lands. To save money, folks often buy a booster box of a new format and keep using it, distributing the cards back into packs after each session. Sometimes they even make their own custom pools of cards to draft from called “cubes”, either their favorite cards, or cards with interesting synergies or flavor overlap, or just the cards that they have lying around. Sometimes people just print these out from their printer or make their own versions of existing cards from scratch with custom designs:

[URL=https://i.imgur.com/Ck7IKXg.jpg][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/Ck7IKXg.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

It looks like sealed Pokemon is sometimes played, with 6 packs of a given set + any number of basic energy cards building 40 card decks with 4 card prize pools. You might be able to do something similar to a cube for sealed if you want to get more mileage out of your cards, especially the bad ones, and/or to level the playing field.