Tell me about a game that hasn’t fit into another thread

I’ve sometimes faced difficulty in finding a thread relevant to a particular game oddity I’ve engaged with. I have kinda wished for a place where it is strictly appropriate to go into that corner without really fitting into another category, so that’s what this thread is for! (Also note it is not illegal to post something that turns out could be relevant to another thread, and if someone has missed a discussion you know of, feel free to share that)

So, tell us about that game you haven’t gotten to talk about yet, we’d love to hear about it.

[“Tell me about a game that doesn\u2019t fit into another thread”,“Tell me about a game that hasn\u2019t fit into another thread”]

The Block Kuzushi on playstation is what seems to be a port of an arcade breakout game.

https://youtu.be/HjPMIf_kr4c?si=gCwELh2O-aQ_UMkl

Features of note:

1. you can nudge the play area and hence give boosts to/slow the ball on rebound from the walls
  2. there is a bit of gravity, so the ball always is arcing downward a little
  3. the angle of bounce is significantly influenced by the relative motion of the paddle, less so by where on the paddle you hit
  4. you can press x to make the paddle briefly flash, which if you hit the ball with good timing causes

A) a boost in speed of the ball

B) the ball to become penetrating for a period that extends the faster it is going

And most importantly

C) provides spin to the ball if hit with boost while the paddle is moving, causing the ball to curve
  5. at any point press select to use one of your lives to put a second ball in play
  6. a starfox/outrun style course layout

3-5 create a sense of interactivity I’ve never really felt with any ball and paddle game. The feeling of hitting the way you want is very reminiscent of actually hitting a ball. Early ‘easy’ stages can be attacked aggressively instead of just waiting for a speed upgrade or other pickup.

As a result of my pleasant surprise with this game, I went on a bender checking out all sorts of breakout games, looking for other effective experimentation with control. 4A exists in a few games, notably Kirby’s Block Ball, which is pretty good and plays with multiple paddle situations and makes good use of kirby to justify interesting powerups. 5 shows up in some games, but the curving and motion dependent bounce angle feels very unique.

The sequel is almost just more of the same, they add two special shots and more wild blocks. I feel it gets away from just the good feeling ball control of the base game. Also there is coop mode where you each have a paddle and mostly get in each other’s way.

Absolutely worth a play.

Iji! There‘s not really a space for 15-20 year old indie games (although…), so this game never really comes up in my every day, but it’s one of my old favorites and I think about it a bunch. I thought it was cool that it was a metroid with a non-violent route.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33mxD4FjD3w

@“Mnemogenic”#p140352 looks cool! Can you share a bit more about this nonviolent route business?

@“MDS-02”#p140359 It‘s very straightforward, actually. Every enemy can be killed but no enemy has to be killed. You have a gun but never have to shoot it. You can sneak around and hack the baddies. And run. Lots of panicked running and jumping. I wish I remembered what narrative impact that had, but I don’t remember anything about the narrative at all.

Earlier today I was thinking, “Ya know, why don’t I give those Just Cause games a try? I love open-world sandbox games.” Reading through reviews for that series, the common critique was against the story and characters, which confuses me a bit since I assume that nobody would play those for such reasons.

This got me thinking, I recall losing interest in games like Spiderman 2018, Ghost of Tsushima, and Horizon Zero Dawn to the point where I don’t think I’ll play another Sony open-world game again (that said, Days Gone looks more sandbox-oriented so I wanna play more of that!)

I think the reason is that you have two types of open-world games: sandbox and story-driven. Without fail, I find that story-driven open worlds don’t have that kind of “dumb fun” I enjoy so much. There is an exception though I think our definitions might get murky, Yakuza provides a story-driven open world that feels rooted in JRPG conventions, thus providing gameplay and side quests/activities that are always engaging to me. While I can’t drive around Kamarocho all crazy, why would I want to when I can hit the Club Sega and play cool arcade games, do a funny sidequest, or beat up thugs with hilarious heat actions? Not to mention a main story that’s so honestly soap-opera-esq that you can’t help but get involved with how honest it is.

I guess my point with this is, that I would enjoy story-driven openworlds more if they had gameplay that wasn’t all centered around Batman Arkham combat. One great example is Mad Max, that game threw in-depth car customization and combat encounters into the mix and it ruled! Or Shadow of Mordor with the Nemesis system. Heck, even the Arkham games had fun stuff that made traversing the open world engaging. It helped because there was such a devoted richness to continuing the Animated Series-style storytelling.

I post about flight simulator in the What Have You Been Playing general thread so sort of brute-forcing a place for it, but to get even more niche and specific: I‘m learning how to use this plug-in reproduction of GTBNXi GPS https://tdssim.com/tdsgtnxi , and even more niche and specific from there, how to use it to program flight plans and connect to autopilot on a few of the planes I’m flying in MSFS. I feel like kind of a chump just doing basic autopilot stuff and want to learn the more complex functions

@“yeso”#p140479 That’s cool! What is the avenue you have for learning about these things existing? Application of just irl knowledge or discussions among other simulator enthusiasts out in that space? In any case, I always find your descriptions of events in your flights very interesting.

@“MDS-02”#p140491 None of my knowledge can be called “irl” since it all comes from MSFS but part of the learning process is indeed applying existing sim know-how to build a working knowledge of this new gadget. For example: I’ve logged the most hours on planes manufactured during the 70s/80s so the avionics are mostly analogue, but these vintage planes can be wired with gps which can interface with those vintage autopilot systems, which is the situation I’m now finding myself in. Because I learned more primitive AP that’s limited to maintaining heading and altitude (and in some cases climb, descent, or velocity) there’s a learning curve both conceptually in grasping how to program more complex flightplans that can include multiple waypoints and fine-tune approaches and also in terms of figuring out the GPS interface and software, then how that interfaces with an autopilot setup from 1979.

To answer the question of how to learn: this is a dilemma at times because these add on avionics and planes are third-party products that provide varying amounts of documentation. The technical manuals packaged with both this GPS product and for the plane I’m trying to use it on (Dash 7) are pretty thin, so then you have to go to the publicly available irl manuals for the plane and Garmin customer support materials. It’s part of the “fun” to learn the sim by learning from the real technical publications

@“yeso”#p140498 Very interesting. Recently having read the full documentation for this PS2 Basic Studio software I can relate to that enjoyment of going through manuals. How have your found the level of preservation of that documentation to be? Is this at the ‘scrape ebay for a physical copy’ level or have people been digitizing?

@“MDS-02”#p140502 for GA aircraft, which is what I like flying, it's all mostly online through either the irl manufacturers (for example, yesterday I watched a Garmin webinar in another window while flying from Menomee, MI to suburban Cincinnati.

I a few occasions I've had to hunt for info on some of the more obscure planes like the [Trislander](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britten-Norman_Trislander) but never had to buy anything on ebay.

@“yeso”#p140479 This ticks the ‘it’s interesting‘ box in my brain in a way that a lot of games don’t (I‘m a person who gets rabidly interested in real world technical processes to the point where I sometimes drive my irl friends who are in physical technical field nuts with questions). I’m especially interested in how this incredibly technical reproduction of flight related matters would translate to real world learning– I suspect it would, in the way that sometimes racing simulators inform real world racing techniques, although I wouldn't want to be the person trying to apply it for the first time, haha.

As for me, I hope to someday post here about my train simulator game experience! I'm in an odd trough with other games and genres at the moment but I've been excited at the possibilities of train simulators! I just haven't taken the plunge yet.

>

@“Karasu”#p140551 I’m especially interested in how this incredibly technical reproduction of flight related matters would translate to real world learning– I suspect it would

it does to a non-negligible extent. Certain MSFS aircraft are sold as "study level" quality. And I can add that anecdotally, I rode on a Cessna 206 seated behind the pilot so could watch the procedures, see the instruments etc and was like yeah I could totally fly this thing if I needed to (probably not actually true)

[URL=https://i.imgur.com/qPkWb1B.jpg][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/qPkWb1B.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=https://i.imgur.com/aMWNIQ1.jpg][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/aMWNIQ1.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

One of the reasons I like to still visit smaller web distribution places for games like Newgrounds is exposure to short, tight, weird experiences. Here‘s one that was released for Halloween that I’ve been thinking about for two weeks (headphones recommended)

https://kaiakairos.itch.io/sentient-cleaning-device

It's really a remarkable little 20 minute game. We need more of those!

>

@“yeso”#p140562 anecdotally, I rode on a Cessna 206 seated behind the pilot

Are… Are you a cocaine smuggler?

>

and was like yeah I could totally fly this thing if I needed to

Are… Are you a cocaine smuggler?

@“yeso”#p140562 kinda (ok very) fascinating that this is the modern state of MSFS! Maybe if I completely crater on being interested in video games I'll take this up as a hobby, but I suspect it would consume me.

@“◉◉maru”#p140570 no I was traveling to Isle Royale National Park, but there are indeed MSFS mods for cocaine smuggling

>

@“yeso”#p140578 Isle Royale National Park,

Did you see any wolves? Always wanted to go there.

@“MoH”#p140579 No didn’t see any wolves, I think sightings are pretty rare. Did see moose. Lots of good birds up there too. It’s hard to get to the park obviously but it’s great we’ll worth the effort