The fall of Gamestop

I’m doing it because I love gamestop. Don’t care about the money

@yeso#15183 power to the players!

Seems like it’s finally happening.

they are clearing out their inexplicable old stock

@treefroggy#19032

It's amusing how these figured have literally no muscles at all. Are they supposed to expand in water?

This was my local mall gamestop in late 2019. They've been scrubbed from the google results so I assume they were a victim of the pandemic closures, but the last time I was in I inquired about the sign and learned they had the same owner since back-in-the-day and he liked the sign and legacy so he just left it up all those years.

funcoland apparently didn't make it far enough south in the day, but i love hearing storied about how much folks dug it. garage sale hauls of nearly a decade back brought cases from there too.

the recent nft fuckery is just icing on the cake for a lot of folks, and i get not shedding a tear when they go...but for me its gonna be harsh just like TRU was: they ate up all the mom & pop shops (for the most part), worked people to death & then shitty mismanagement & decisions buried them. in their wake, the market got the impression that dedicated toy (or in this case, mostly game) shop chains aren't viable, so with few exceptions, i can't get deals on used stuff locally anymore...just whatever the big box ones keep about. that part sucks.

@“rinv”#p19272

@“treefroggy”#p19032 absolutely love when they dump stuff, i was in an n95 early in this pandemic picking at the bones of a GS closing up shop nearby

i have entire shelves of the times they let PS2 and GC titles go, sometimes pennies on the dollar. reallllly wish i'd have been paying attention whenever they finally dumped 16/32 bit stuff years ago, i recall an EB dumping 8 bit (no SMS sadly) and getting an NES and like 10-15 games for way less than $100, i spent the leftover of my student loan check that semester on it and its prolly still the best investment i've made haha

Seems a good a place as any to share this. Multiple videos on the first 10 years of EB Games in Australia from 2007. Interesting look behind the scenes at retail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzz_PVyutTw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRof2yanSoc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kstioau5_Ww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgElc4jscB4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCRBImfEiMs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPlrSJalceA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3EdQ-9gM2o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJtPkHDJgB0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP8cUXOFFCY

this thread is 4 years old now, with some ups (stock prices) and downs (covid and also stock prices), but I came across it today. I just wanted to add, that knowledge and ease of emulation / FPGAtion is more accessible than it‘s ever been and it’s only going to become more straightforward. I have no data to back this up, but I imagine a lot of Retro stores make a good portion of their money from selling inflated price copies of Mario to nostalgic people who are not into gaming as a whole and are specifically into what they played as a kid. Anyone else who is into gaming as a whole, surely knows of and has multiple ways to emulate games. Some of those people will also collect hardware / software, but I imagine the majority are perfectly content having access to every game ever on Archive . org.

Last night I downloaded like 10 psp games and was playing The 3rd Birthday in beautiful 4k in minutes. I downloaded fan translations and undubs that are not (easily) available to play on OG hardware. Gamestop could have never provided this.

ps (though imagining a boutique physical store that sells handcrafted repros of fan translated games with custom art, manuals, housed in milled aluminum cartridges that pays the developers and translators sounds like what Limited Run should be. Basically the Criterion Collection of games)

pps ( the limited run store in Cary, NC is actually always packed. They have a small but nice retro section (I bought Match of the Millennium for a good price there), and all of their "limited" releases. There are small games, large games, weird box sets, a record section for game soundtracks, and all sorts of weird funco adjacent trash as well. All in a blockbuster vibe, and people seem to dig it.)

>

I imagine the majority are perfectly content having access to every game ever on Archive . org

Well that part got harder I think, or at least I couldn't figure it out

A few weeks back I went into my local GameStop for the first time in a year or two. The weird ways in which that place continually degenerates is something. They‘ve added a mildew smell to the shopping experience since last time I was there. I guess it really is just a Funko Pop store now, the front, right-hand quarter of the store was just a wall full of the things. The store layout is baffling. They’ve removed most all of the floor shelving and racks, so now the store just sorta feels like a big, creepy, vacant room. The only video games in the place were confined to the left-hand side wall. Felt a bit weird to think about the fact that I have more video games on my shelves at home then the shelves at a video game store. The only games I might've purchased were Xbox. None of the Xbox games had price stickers for some reason so any chance of me buying was negated by not wanting to bother with asking for price checks.

In short, GameStop is a big, smelly, empty, grey room. Basically, it's a rural bus station.

1 Like

@“Herb”#p160248

>

They’ve added a mildew smell to the shopping experience since last time I was there.

That may not even be their fault. The GameStop near where I lived during college smelled like the stale farts of a Subway. It was of course because they were near a Subway and the air systems must have been connected.

@“TaliesinMerlin”#p160249 Given their slew poor choices I‘m gonna go ahead and assume they’re culpable in their newfound stankness.

Had fun catching up on this thread. A lot of great discussion.

We had FuncoLand in Indianapolis, well at least on the south side where I grew up, and it's as described by others earlier in this thread. I have very fond memories being near the strip mall where the FuncoLand was and stopping by just to see what cool stuff I could find. Back then, if you wanted the newest release you'd go to Toys R Us, Wal Mart or another big generic store that didn't specialize in video games. So FuncoLand felt like our local game shop where you went to hang and get recs and random finds.

Then one day the sign was changed to EB Games. It was still pretty cool, you could find a lot of good (not great) deals and no one hassled you about buying anything at all or being a member. But also no one chatted you up just to talk games. Then one day everything became GameStop and I begrudgingly shopped there because it was better than Wal Mart and you could still find some good old stuff pretty easily. But the vibe was full on corpo by then and I hated interacting with anyone in the shop for the most part.

Ever since about 2010'ish I'll find an independent shop, random place that happens to be selling old video game stuff, or go online if I want something physical. Luckily the existing retro shops seem to be holding up well, albeit the number of shops are very limited and prices egregious.

I was just thinking how some places in Canada also had/have Microplay. Pleased and surprised to see it's still around.

the last time i was in a games top was to pick up Stranger of Paradise at launch because that trucker hat was WAY too funny to pass up.

that place scared the living daylights out of me.
instant fight or flight response, everything in me is screaming “this is something beyond a liminal space, and you need to leave before you begin to unravel at a cellular level”.

whereas all the local stores 'round here are (for the most part) delightful and pleasant

all goofing aside, the reason i stopped going to game shop many years ago was because every step of the experience felt like a scam. you buy a game that is ostensibly new, they take a scuffed n’ buffed disc out of a paper sleeve in front of you and drop it in a generic dvd case and then they have to give you all their corporate mandated upsell speeches. and i feel so bad the whole time because i know how much that stuff just sucks. but it was just such a hostile retail environment, and so aesthetically repulsive to me.

i dunno, i hear you can catch em slippin on retro games at some of their locations these days but i’m too scared to check lol

5 Likes

I had a look just because, and… it looks like GameStop have exited Sweden. That means we no longer have any video game store chains in Sweden. Let that sink in: In 2024, there are no video game store chains in Sweden. (Games are instead sold at general electronics retailers and, if you’re lucky, in minimal numbers at general second-hand stores.)

It looks like there’s one (1) non-chain-affiliated video game store in all of Stockholm nowadays. So… you can practically say that we don’t have video game stores anymore. Man… What a cultural shift. This is one of those stomach-churning “the world I grew up in doesn’t exist anymore” moments.

4 Likes

Yeah, I stopped going there for the most part for basically the same reasons. I had a sour experience with them selling me what was either a used or display case game a few years ago. Previous to that I never understood why so many people were so down on GameStop, I hadn’t had any experiences there that were much different than any other retailer. I bought a new PS4 game from GameStop online and when I opened the cardboard box it came in I saw the game was already opened. That weekend when I was out I stopped by my local GameStop (different location than the current closest one that smells) with my receipt and asked them if they would exchange my copy for a sealed one because I wanted to give it as a gift. The lady that worked there became weirdly terse at the request and treated me like a psychopath. Instead of just saying “No our policy doesn’t allow that” she started trying to argue about what constituted a new game. Very weird.

Of the dozen or so GameStops I’ve been in over the years I’ve never encountered one that sells retro games. If the ones near me sold them I might stop in on occasion.

1 Like

Yeah, although they do exist here, buying physical games at retail period seems to be not much of an option for me anymore. GameStop is just weird and any retailer I go into any more like Best Buy or Target, their shelves are usually kept near barren. Then my local mom and pop game shops charge high-end ebay prices or higher.

I don’t know if you had them in Sweden, but the biggest example of the world being different for me is just Toys ‘r’ Us not being a thing. Sucks that there’s no equivalent for me to take my nephews to. Going to Toys ‘r’ Us as a little kid was always such a rush.

2 Likes